What's the point of exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• selanders
    selanders Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all my exercise calories back, usually around half, unless I am feeling really hungry or weak. Then I take that as a message from my body that I need more fuel.

What's the point? - A big bonus of exercise is that if you are gaining muscle, you will also increase your BMR (you will increase your daily calorie burn). Being fit also helps prevent muscle from being LOST as you also lose fat (so you don't become "skinny fat" at the end). Finally, having a strong, healthy body feels fantastic!

:) Good luck, and I hope you keep exercising! If you are feeling burnt out, take it easy for a while. You don't have to burn 800 calories every time you work out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Warning!
    You can't only do weights without cardio because since muscles are heavier than fat, your heart will need to work harder to keep moving the muscles so your cardiovascular system and your muscular build need to improve together. Without a strong cardio system to support your newfound muscles, your heart will be stressed out and can lead to complications!
    Since most people on MFP are eating at a caloric deficit (some at VERY significant deficits) and the OP is a female, it's only fair to mention that building any appreciable amounts of muscle under those conditions is very, very difficult, so the above concern is basically a moot point. Weight training *will* help maintain the lean muscle mass you have and encourage fat loss over LBM loss, and thus is much more beneficial than cardio for people eating at caloric deficits and losing weight. Very few people are going to be packing on muscle when eating at large deficits, no matter how hard, heavy or often they weight train.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i eat my calories back because i'm on a 1200 cals a day plan, and i burn about 600- 800 calories during exercise. That would only leave me 400-600 net calories which is not enough. Plus i've found the more i eat, the more weight i lose.
  • yoobie
    yoobie Posts: 16
    Options
    Warning!
    You can't only do weights without cardio because since muscles are heavier than fat, your heart will need to work harder to keep moving the muscles so your cardiovascular system and your muscular build need to improve together. Without a strong cardio system to support your newfound muscles, your heart will be stressed out and can lead to complications!
    Since most people on MFP are eating at a caloric deficit (some at VERY significant deficits) and the OP is a female, it's only fair to mention that building any appreciable amounts of muscle under those conditions is very, very difficult, so the above concern is basically a moot point. Weight training *will* help maintain the lean muscle mass you have and encourage fat loss over LBM loss, and thus is much more beneficial than cardio for people eating at caloric deficits and losing weight. Very few people are going to be packing on muscle when eating at large deficits, no matter how hard, heavy or often they weight train.

That's true, she won't be like those men that only weight train that end up running quarter of a mile breaking down wheezing. But I think that everything about a good lifestyle is balance..The last part was a bit exaggerated purely to cover my *kitten* about possible complications in the rare case that her cardio is significantly weak, and her body type accumulates muscles faster than most, then focusing completely on only building lean muscle "could" lead to aforementioned complications. BUT you are right! If she has an average build with average cardio, there could be no complications. In the paragraphs before, I emphasize the benefits of weight training! :)
  • yoobie
    yoobie Posts: 16
    Options
    My daily goal is 1,420 calories to lose 2 lbs per week. Although I was "under" my calorie limit today it still totalled out to be 2,141. Now that I think about it..I run for an hour, sweating, and wheezing just to burn 800 calories

I also wanted to ask you, are you sure you are burning 800 calories? I use a heart rate monitor and calculate my calories burned using this site http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/calories-burned-by-heart-rate-calculator/. I'm sure if it isn't accurate, someone will enlighten me about that as well lol. But let's just say it is...

For me, 22 yrs old & @138 lbs, I would have to be at an average heart rate of ~186 for the entire 60 minutes to lose 800 calories in that hour. My maximum heart rate (MHR) is 188 (220-your age) and as a reference, there are 4 heart rate zones: weight management (60%-70% * MHR) considered the lowest training intensity. This zone is good for beginners and those who want to strengthen their cardio. Aerobic (70%-80% * MHR) increases strength and endurance. It works within the body's oxygen intake capability, burns more calories and can last longer. Anaerobic Threshold (80%-90% * MHR) generates speed and power. It works at or above the body's oxygen intake capability, builds more muscle and cannot be maintained for a long time. Finally, 90%-100% (which is where I have to be to burn 800 calories in 60 minutes) is called a Red Line Zone, which is maximum capacity.

Basically, long story short: make sure you're not over-counting your burn!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    answered here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/697261-whoa-whoa-whoa-you-can-t-burn-fat-via-exercise

And also if all you're doing is running then that is not in you're best interest if you are looking to lose FAT not just weight.
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Is 45 minutes to an hour of exercise a few times a week an acceptable price to pay for a few slices of pizza here or there, chocolate cake, wine, maybe even an entire cheat day every so often?

F---k yes.

I'm not planning on eating like a Spartan the rest of my life, so I exercise.

Not to mention the health benefits of exercise--both physical (heart health, lung capacity) and mental (endorphins, higher confidence, relaxation).

It's a no-brainer. How some people can be happy on calorie restriction alone I don't get.
  • Kdubuclet
    Kdubuclet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow..lot of great posts and advice. The bigger question in my mind is how do you want to see your body? Do want to see a tone body or just fit into those size [insert desired size] pants? Sure, reduce your calories, do no exercise you will lose weight, of course as long as your are still eating (starvation tends to hold onto calories). If you want a toned body and happy mixture of cardio and weights are always nice. If you don't like the hour runs/cardio, then don't do them, or find an hour cardio you might like. I mix my cardio between zumba, boxing(conditioning), mui thai, running, elliptical and cycling. Instead of doing hour cardio sessions try doing a 15 to 30 cardio set by some focused muscle group weight training and try not to consume too many calories. Just my thought.

IMO, I believe that aside from trying to lose weight, there is much to gain from exercising that can have a positive impact on overall health and well being. If exercising for you is boring or tedious...mix it up and make it fun again and less like a chore :)
  • dvmagic
    dvmagic Posts: 1
    Options
    Because the scale has been the worst indicator of my success and food restriction sucks.
    I agree. I've been at or below my calculated 1 lb/week goal every day. By the books I should be losing a pound a week. So far, zip. Some days, I GAIN 2-3 lbs. I'm beginning to wonder if my scale is broken. :)
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    My daily goal is 1,420 calories to lose 2 lbs per week. Although I was "under" my calorie limit today it still totalled out to be 2,141. Now that I think about it..I run for an hour, sweating, and wheezing just to burn 800 calories

I also wanted to ask you, are you sure you are burning 800 calories? I use a heart rate monitor and calculate my calories burned using this site http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/calories-burned-by-heart-rate-calculator/. I'm sure if it isn't accurate, someone will enlighten me about that as well lol. But let's just say it is...

For me, 22 yrs old & @138 lbs, I would have to be at an average heart rate of ~186 for the entire 60 minutes to lose 800 calories in that hour. My maximum heart rate (MHR) is 188 (220-your age) and as a reference, there are 4 heart rate zones: weight management (60%-70% * MHR) considered the lowest training intensity. This zone is good for beginners and those who want to strengthen their cardio. Aerobic (70%-80% * MHR) increases strength and endurance. It works within the body's oxygen intake capability, burns more calories and can last longer. Anaerobic Threshold (80%-90% * MHR) generates speed and power. It works at or above the body's oxygen intake capability, builds more muscle and cannot be maintained for a long time. Finally, 90%-100% (which is where I have to be to burn 800 calories in 60 minutes) is called a Red Line Zone, which is maximum capacity.

Basically, long story short: make sure you're not over-counting your burn!

Hey thanks for that website. It looks like I am overestimating by a little. I actually burn 700 cals. 100 off not too bad. I'm 5'7, weigh 215lbs. I check my heart rate often by holding the handle bars and typically it's around 175-185. Of course you wouldn't burn the same amount of calories as me if we did the same incline, speed, time because you weigh a lot lower than me.
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Exercising is good for you. Your body was designed to function in motion and you will not only look better but feel better if you use it! Diet helps you look good....exercise helps you look good Naked. As to eating back your calories, that's how MFP is designed to work. You have a built in deficit. If you don't exercise,you're still at that deficit and should lose weight. If you're like me, you want a bit more food than that...you exercise and earn it. Its win-win.

^^^^^
    love this - well said :)