Exercise Question for the Ladies?????

Options

Replies

• ifyouwanttosingout
    Options
    I agree with both walking and/or taking days off, if you need to.
  • krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ive been told no to exercise within 24hrs of getting it...

I try to follow that rule and after the 24hrs just pop pain killer, suck it up and carry on.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I just work through it. I find that once I'm finish I feel better. My hardest day is the first day so I usually pop a tylenol or motrin before.
    Me too!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am on continuous birth control - the pill with no withdrawal week, no periods (occasional spotting), no cramps. Love it.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Banana + Ibuprofen + glass of water an hour before helps me. I also make sure I do a really good workout the day before I'm due. Helps with cramps.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Everyones body is different, and different things will work for different people, keep that in mind.

For me personally, I love the sauna!
  • dewhomeschooling
    dewhomeschooling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ibuprofen after speaking with your doctor. That is what mine suggested and it has made a world of difference.
  • kmmicco
    kmmicco Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have horrible intense cramps the first 2 days, and go really heavy (TMI, I know). But I force myself to workout, because it actually takes away some of cramp pain. I'll do anything from Spinning to pilates, it all just depends on my mood. Just think of it as another obstacle to tackle, you'll get through it!
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I suffer from debilitating cramps during day 1 and sometimes day 2. If I need to, I take those days off, it's your body and you need to listen to it. If you can't do it, you can't do it and a day or 2 won't really set you back much if you jump right back into when you are up to it! Good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:

I can't exercise for 1-2 days of TOM. It's too heavy and I have CRAZY cramps sometimes that make me barely even able to stand up. On all the other days though, I bike or walk. It seems to make it better and I have noticed that it usually gets over a day or two earlier if I do some exercise during it.
  • nicpap617
    nicpap617 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    pop in some ibuprofen 1-2 hours before. You'll be fine.
    I agree with this. I also find that exercising helps the bloat! yay
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it to be a problem so I don't do anything differently. I don't get cramps though.
  • kit1986
    kit1986 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

I too get pretty bad cramping on the first day sometimes the second.

I'm sure that the more I exercise and begin losing the weight that it will get better but I think that I might stick to light exercise during that time (initially anyway) and then gradually build up enough stamina to push through.

Thanks again

Kate
  • kylas7
    kylas7 Posts: 16
    Options
    I rest for 3 days, because I get bad cramps, after that, I try to do some short walks, but nothing like my normal workout until Im done
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am on bc or else I would immobile during my time of the month. However, I usually do not do heavy exercise during the heaviest day because I don't like the way it feels down there.

On those days I try and do some lighter work like no cardio and focus on abs/light pilates or yoga (my favorite). This can also help with cramps.

I also let my self slip up a little on my diet and have a cheat snack or meal.

If you have really bad cramps or heavily bleeding I suggest talking to a doctor. I had pmdd, knee cramps, vomitting, diarrhea, migraines, severe cramps, and heavy bleeding prior to getting on the pill. Now I only have a few slight cramps a couple of days and just one heavier day (nothing compared to what I used to have).
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just remember that it's good for your to exercise at ttotm! That's what I heard and that's what I think about when I'm exercising on :)
    Just wish I could be that motivated with food :)
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A handful of motrin, a giant bottle of water, 20 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes on the treadmill.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I rarely get cramps now, but when I used to, I'd pop an Advil about half an hour before the gym, and then give myself a stern talking to in order to actually get moving.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd just push through, take some pain killers if you need, and maybe do a lighter version of your normal work out.
  • MCinSoCal
    Options

I've decided to get my big (soon to be small) butt back into gear but I have a question for you lovely ladies.

How do you cope with exercising during ttotm?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Oh I have been NEEDING to ask a similar question. Mine isn't cramps but EXTREME exhaustion and fatigue. About a week before it hits me, like I ran into a wall, I attempt to push through that, but then once my monthly visitor hits, I'm down and out for the count. It's bad, really bad, does anyone else get this? And how do you deal? I'm wondering if there are vitamins or a supplement to help this, maybe iron pills, i just don't know... *shrugs*
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    All my life, I've had almost debilitating cramps that would wreck me for days at a time, even so far as to send me into the ER on one occasion. So when I first started this life's journey, I couldn't do anything during that time. But slowly I started to add more and more exercise until I found that one month, I was actually surprised by that time because I had no cramps. Now, not all months were that awesome, but they have lessened as my fitness level has gone up. Now, my monthly pain is a pale shadow to what it once was, even on my more painful months. Not just bearable, but a minor inconvenience that I can exercise through now as well as function as a normal person. Even more than the weight loss, I am so very grateful for this benefit (and I guess, NSV!) that's come from my life overhaul.

So listen to what everyone has suggested and do what's right for your body and the situation. Each month might be different, so pace it to your needs, and if you need help with accountability maybe have a friend help be your supporter to help you get back into it when it's over? Friend or family, a support network goes so far into making these life changes bearable and sustainable.

Good luck to you!!