calories in fruit- to count or not to count?

124»

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    I once lost 16 pounds in a month after reading a book that has you eat according to glycemic index of foods. No calorie-counting involved in this one. There were certain fruits (very few) that the book recommended avoiding most of time; most fruits and almost all veggies were included in the 'eat as much as you want' category. I try to remember that when I freak out because I went a bit over on carbs but ate 8 servings of fruits/veggies that day, and all of them were in the 'low GI' category.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I've always counted them, and make room in my diet for them. What I don't bother about is trying to stay under in the sugar category when it comes to fruit.

MEEEEE TOOOOO! It seems unfair to count them as sugar when it is the natural stuff!:drinker:

Natural is irrelevant, fructose, glucose, and sucrose in fruit is no different than fructose, glucose, or sucrose from any other source. The human body doesn't recognize the source food, just the sugar compound.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    I log them. Calories in Fruit can be from 30cal to 150cal. Why not log them? Its calories. Its a fuel source.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Calories are calories regardless of where they come from. Count!
  • divacabd
    divacabd Posts: 1 Member
    Count everything you consume! it adds up! Some WW'ers went crazy with fruit when the newest plan went to zero points for veggies and fruits. This resulted in a weight gain or no loss for those folks. Fruits still have to be eaten within the guidelines, espcially because of the sugar and carbs. Even lettuce has calories...Count. :smile:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    I count everything and a fruit lunch can be 300-400 calories a day so I'd be cheating my diary if I didn't log it. I have got the to point where I just quick-add 50 calories when I have a lettuce/cucumber/tomato salad though because the margin of error is so negligible.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Count everything you consume! it adds up! Some WW'ers went crazy with fruit when the newest plan went to zero points for veggies and fruits. This resulted in a weight gain or no loss for those folks. Fruits still have to be eaten within the guidelines, espcially because of the sugar and carbs. Even lettuce has calories...Count. :smile:

My sister found this. She was making a large fruit salad at the beginning of the week and having a bowl of that a couple of times a day and eating other fruits throughout the day and was probably adding an extra third in just fruit calories!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Count them. And count vegetables, too. Some of them are shockingly high in sugar. Also, if you are keeping track of your macros (for example, trying to eat 30% of your calories from protein), not tracking fruit will make your numbers inaccurate.
  • I defo count them. Search for Dr. Doug Graham and the 80-10-10 diet... he speaks about fruits, veg and greens - calories, health, fitness etc..
  • If you bite it then write it !!

This
  • I did slimming world a while ago were a lot of food is regarded as free, but the restrictions on other food made up for it , ie only 28g of any cereal, but muller light yoghurts were free. There was a lot of redundancy built into the system, and the grp seemed split into those with consistant losses or maintaining goal and those that believed they had put on 2lbs from one meal out and always gained and lost around a set point.

I lost 42lbs quickly, stopped going because of the bro science and tendancy of leader to suggest you went for a 4lb loss, because it's totally doable and my return to bad habits meant the weight bounced back on. There were people who had been going for years and years, I was being used as an example, which made me feel uncomfortable as you can't compare a 30 something breastfeeding Mum's rate of loss with a pensioner's. I also had baby in a sling plus toddler in buggy most of the time and walk everywhere.

In short log it, I eat a less processed diet this way and don't have the oh my god I spent all my syns on a pizza moment ( half a pizza and salad fits well within my calories and macros if I want one}
  • tarisa222
    tarisa222 Posts: 27 Member
    I think you should log in everything so that you can look back and see what you are consuming. I count my coffee, and that only has a few calories!
    Sidenote: just because your on mfp doesn't mean you cannot follow another diet/or plan. Logging everything you eat, can help you. especially if you use the tools to see your progress. If you want to give your self 100 extra free calories, you can adjust your settings!
  • llm1607
    llm1607 Posts: 58 Member
    If you bite it then write it !!

^^^^ love this!!!! Totally agree!
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone! This helps a whole bunch! :bigsmile: