Protien Shakes??

Options
I've heard protien shakes help after working out to heal the muscles. I dont know how I feel about drinking them. I also heard they could be a bit pricey.... Any helpful info? Do you drink them? Only after a workout, or throughout the day??

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i just get the body fortress from walmart - it's about 15.00 - i do one drink after my afternoon lifting (the drink is 3 scoops + water).

i am sure there are better ones out there & more costly ones, but this one works for me & fits into my daily diet & ratios (try for 25/25/50). on the weekends, my rest days, i usually take a 2 scoop shake mixed with some oatmeal for bfast. - i take it on the wkends b/c the muscles need them for recovery in general so i've always kept up my protien during the wkends - after workout is just the BEST time your body obsorbs the protien.

i will be adding a pre-workout protien once i get out of my cutting phase, but i still have almost 4wks until then.
  • MellyMelx23o
    Options
    i just get the body fortress from walmart - it's about 15.00 - i do one drink after my afternoon lifting (the drink is 3 scoops + water).

i am sure there are better ones out there & more costly ones, but this one works for me & fits into my daily diet & ratios (try for 25/25/50). on the weekends, my rest days, i usually take a 2 scoop shake mixed with some oatmeal for bfast. - i take it on the wkends b/c the muscles need them for recovery in general so i've always kept up my protien during the wkends - after workout is just the BEST time your body obsorbs the protien.

i will be adding a pre-workout protien once i get out of my cutting phase, but i still have almost 4wks until then.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • capital_clover
    Options
    I don't drink shakes on a daily basis, but I will have a post workout protein drink on heavier lifting days. I tend to just mix up a scoop of 100% vanilla whey protein isolate with some water.

On days when I have a more carb-heavy lunch of dinner, I'll drink a protein shake in the morning. water + ice + 1 scoop whey protein + probiotic yogurt + banana + frozen berries. Usually a protein shake will keep me feeling fuller and more satisfied than cereal or anything else.

Other good things to add -a bit of milled flax seed to up the fiber content.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can take anytime - AM, after a workout. Good places to get protein would include Wal-Mart, amazon.com, vitamin shoppe is also excellent. Can get premade shakes which are pretty spending but convenient. Costco sales premade muscle milk at bulk.

If you are able to go home - use protein powder, skim/soy/almond milk and ice. Blend together and it tastes pretty dang good - like a chocolate shake. I prefer the taste of this over the premade plus less preservatives and things like that.

You can mix with a lot of things like chocolate with Peanut butter, frozen fruit with vanilla. For my AM breakfast - I put a 3/4/ cup of frozen berries (blue,black & rasberry) in my blender, scoop of vanilla whey and almond milk and a little bit of water. Tastes like a berry shake - very good and filling. I do have a high powered blender(vitamix) that pulverizes the seeds so that might make a difference.

As far as taking protein shake - it's an easy way to get the protein to you system. (instead of eating a chicken breast) and low calorie. It's definitely not a man/body builder/testosterone thing. It's definitely a staple of my diet and great in a pinch. The biggest loser doctor, Dr.Huizenga, wrote a book and recommends natural protien shakes for after workout. Excellent book btw - linked below.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Did-All-Fat-Prescription/dp/1931290571
  • TQSDoughan
    TQSDoughan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 1 protein shake a day. I always have a shake for breakfast. If I put in a hard workout, I will drink another one after or eat some other form of lean protein. I drink the MRM brand in vanilla. I buy it on Amazon for $22 (Approx 32 servings. 87 calories per serving). Protein (in any lean form) is great for feeding your muscles. I blend mine with coconut milk and baking cocoa (the chocolate MRM protein is more expensive, so I make mine chocolate with baking cocoa - 15 calories per tsp). I find the blog www.heandsheeatclean.com very helpful! Good luck!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake almost every day.

I use the NNW brand from HyVee. I think it's like 19 dollars for 2 lbs of it. So far that's the cheapest I found and it's definitely worth it.

I drink it after every workout and also as snacks when I crave something sweet. I get the strawberry or chocolate milk flavors and make it with unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 c. oats, and fruit. (bananas, pineapples, strawberries, raspberries). Just depends on what I have.

This way it turns into a yummy iced protein smoothie!

It helps me not feel sick after working out and I just feel a lot better.
  • JMMac121
    JMMac121 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can have them after a workout, but a hand full of natural almonds could probably do the same for you and they are not man made if that is what you are concerned about. Don't get me wrong, I drink them, usually when I am running late and can't make breakfast or just substitute it for that meal entirely. I usually drink EAS Advantage, but you can buy shakes in powder form and get more bang for your buck that way :)
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't drink them, I figure I'm eating plenty of meat all the time I dont need to supplement protein too. Of course protein is found in a lot of other foods too, but that's where I get most of it personally.
  • paralegalnc
    paralegalnc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I drink them as my diet per my doctor. I drink one in the morning, one at lunch. I get two cups of silk almond (yummy) plus I can't tolorate milk... and I use muscletech (sams $18 for 5#) and with 2 scoops is 42 g of protein. I have to have 120 grams of protein per day because I am insulin resistent. so not really pricey. My bag of powder has lasted me months. Now the silk is pricer than a gallon of milk but that's my preference. I drink two shakes per day
  • Vraicroyant
    Options
    I use the Body by Vi (Visalus) protein shakes at least once a day. It's a great source of protein without the icky chalk-like taste. 90 calories for 2 scoops; 12g of protein. I know a few people who take two shakes a day to increase their weight loss, and a couple have even gotten off their diabetes meds using this. You can find it on Amazon, ebay, or by going to: http://visalus.com/body-by-vi/90-day-challenge.

It's a little pricey, imo, but I've seen a few people able to get it at lower prices or free by getting a prescription for it from their doctor and submitting it thru their insurance.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I've heard protien shakes help after working out to heal the muscles. I dont know how I feel about drinking them. I also heard they could be a bit pricey.... Any helpful info? Do you drink them? Only after a workout, or throughout the day??

Protein period helps you period. Most minimal recommendations for someone who is not exercising is .8g of protein/your weight in kg . I didn't know about them either but since I've been trying to keep my protein about 100g a day and I spend a lot of time in a university, I figured a shake would be beneficial. I drink them whenever I need protein.

There's different kinds of protein as well. I'd recommend one with a full amino acid profile like whey powder. If you're lactose intolerant get the isolate. Isolates absorb quicker while concentrates are slower. Some people mix these 2 up depending on what they're doing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Protein period helps you period. Most minimal recommendations for someone who is not exercising is .8g of protein/your weight in kg . I didn't know about them either but since I've been trying to keep my protein about 100g a day and I spend a lot of time in a university, I figured a shake would be beneficial. I drink them whenever I need protein.

There's different kinds of protein as well. I'd recommend one with a full amino acid profile like whey powder. If you're lactose intolerant get the isolate. Isolates absorb quicker while concentrates are slower. Some people mix these 2 up depending on what they're doing.

This! Also, they are not relly that expensive depending on what brand you buy and how much you take. I use Gaspari Myofusion, I buy the 10 lb bag on the internet for about $72 and I get about 140 servings at 1 scoop. So that's a little over .50 per serving. I do 1 or 2 shakes per day of 2 scoops depending on how much protien I got from food that day. That makes it about $1 per shake. Pretty low cost if you ask me!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I eat protein bars. I might get into shakes, but bars have kept me full for a while and taste delicious. Plus they come with other things I need like fiber and vitamins.