The Drive-thru Diet. By: Taco Bell

Options
I'm sure you will all agree that this is absolutely ridiculous! I haven't seen the commercial, but I'd probably thrown something at the screen.

http://food.change.org/blog/view/taco_bell_is_not_part_of_a_healthy_diet

And I bet a whole bunch of people got up off the couch and went to the drive thru because for some reason in this society "Diet" has become synonymous with "Healthy"

This just really ruffles my panties, ya know!!!???

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Amen.
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    i know what you mean. the first time i saw this i thought it was a joke - i seriously kept waiting for a punchline...
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I don't really have a problem with it.

"As you know, the Drive-Thru Diet® menu is not a weight-loss program. It's about making different choices. For me, I didn't want to cut out my fast food so I started choosing Fresco items from the Drive-Thru Diet® menu and making other sensible choices. I reduced my daily calorie and fat intake by 500 calories to 1250 calories a day, and, after two years, I ended up losing 54 pounds! These results aren't typical, but for me they were fantastic!

For a healthier lifestyle, pay attention to total calorie and fat intake and regular exercise. Fresco can help with calorie reductions of 20 to 100 per item compared to corresponding products on our regular menu. Not a low calorie food."
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    That is just ridiculous.
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    I think the real reason it bugs me is that i feel like it is making light of other restaurants that really are coming out with healthier alternatives to fast food.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Maybe my approach to losing weight is not how most people do it, but I refused to eliminate foods that I loved. I still go to Taco Bell and other fast food places on occasion and I for one appreciate the "lighter" menu selections offered. I honesty think that by making wiser food choices and controlling my portion sizes it is possible to still eat out and lose weight. :happy:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I like the Fresca Taco's. I've ordered them several times.

That being said, the whole concept of having "Drive-Thru" and "Diet" in the same marketing campaign irritates the hell out of me. We're all responsible for making our own choices, but there are a lot of niave people out there that are going to order Fresca Taco's and think that's all the have to do to get healthy. (I know them, they work in my office.) And that's what Taco Bell wants.

It just screams "We see the success Subway is having embracing the Health & Fitness Market and we want a part of that too"

The way i look at it, avoid fast food if at all possible. But on the rare occaisian you do eat out, Fresca Taco's are a good alternative if you're tired of $5 Foot Longs.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I will admit to eating at TB infrequently (once a quarter maybe). I don't consider this the healthiest of choices, but when I'm there, I do tend to choose the Fresco menu. Mostly because I really like tomatoes, and pico. Those don't come on their regular menu items, I have to pay extra for them. Might as well get the Fresco menu item. Am I distressed that some people will think this is a great way to lose weight? Of course. There's still quite a bit of fat in them. (They are on tortillas after all:happy: ) However, is the Fresco menu a better choice than the TB regular menu? Of course. So, if you are going to eat there anyway, go with it. Doesn't mean you have to eat there, though!:bigsmile:
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options

"As you know, the Drive-Thru Diet® menu is not a weight-loss program. It's about making different choices. For me, I didn't want to cut out my fast food so I started choosing Fresco items from the Drive-Thru Diet® menu and making other sensible choices. I reduced my daily calorie and fat intake by 500 calories to 1250 calories a day, and, after two years, I ended up losing 54 pounds! These results aren't typical, but for me they were fantastic!

For a healthier lifestyle, pay attention to total calorie and fat intake and regular exercise. Fresco can help with calorie reductions of 20 to 100 per item compared to corresponding products on our regular menu. Not a low calorie food."

...and that right there....makes me want to PUKE. that's about all i have to say about that.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I don't mind a taco here and there. Restriction never works. I even go through the drive-thru and get myself a Nacho minus the meat. But thats monthly, IF that!

But this is advertised as a diet, called a diet, and has a spokesperson who succeeded at said diet.

I wonder what her insides look like? We all know that to be Healthy we need whole foods. Those foods are highly processed.

A trip to Taco Bell on occasion is understandable. But to try to convince people that eating there everyday is acceptable is too much for me.
  • froggirl
    Options
    I like the Taco Bell fresco items. I ate them occasionally when I did this thing before (I've been off the wagon for about a year and recently started back). They're a great option when you need to grab something quick and/or you just have a Taco Bell craving. If it keeps people like me from having a "Big Mac Attack", then I think it's pretty darned healthy!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't know what people expect- for Taco Bell to NOT jump on the "diet" bandwagon? I'm shocked that people are shocked. Really, how can this be such a shocking turn of events in this day and age? With all of the crap out there that's referred to as a "diet"? Diet pills, diet shakes, pre-packaged diet food, diet cookies, diet bars, diet this, diet that.
  • alanismanson
    Options
    I seriously thought that it was a joke. When I realized that they were serious, I just laughed. I hope people dont fall for it.
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents,... back in the day when I was training in college for soccer, my coach and trainer both said it was ok to order off Taco Bell's menu, but to nix the cheese and sour cream or any sauces... I did that and the calories that remained were significantly minimized as was the fat content. Just be smart about it... if the beans contain lard, don't get them. Go for a tortilla vs a fried taco shell... but again, portion control. It helped back in the day, and I was kind of surprised it took them this long to come out with it...
    : )
    Good luck to all!
    : )
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    The bottom line for me is that if I am gonna go to taco bell at least I know I can make the better choice with the better options. They basically leave off the cheese and sour cream, and replace it with what I call "pico" stuff.
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    It's an occasional treat not to be confused with a healthy diet.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I grab a bag of tacos about once every other week, dinner for the gang, cheap-easy & good, and with the nutritional info they put out I know exactly what's in that bag.

3 regular crunchy high octane tacos is a little over 500 calories, kind'a high in sodium, decent protein/carb/fat balance. The 3 tacos along with a salad and a big mess o' watermelon or cantaloupe for dessert and I've had a great filling dinner and well within my calorie budget.

It's just food people,,, you don't want to eat it, don't %$&in' eat it. I eat it and I'm doing fine.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i love tacos. haha. but id much rather make them myself at home then eat them from taco bell!

i can see this being something to grab if youre out and have no options but not something to eat everyday that's for sure
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I grab a bag of tacos about once every other week, dinner for the gang, cheap-easy & good, and with the nutritional info they put out I know exactly what's in that bag.

3 regular crunchy high octane tacos is a little over 500 calories, kind'a high in sodium, decent protein/carb/fat balance. The 3 tacos along with a salad and a big mess o' watermelon or cantaloupe for dessert and I've had a great filling dinner and well within my calorie budget.

It's just food people,,, you don't want to eat it, don't %$&in' eat it. I eat it and I'm doing fine.

Exactly.

They aren't lacing it with arsenic.

It's a flour tortilla (just like the kind you buy in a store) with pressed chicken (this is still chicken, it's just pressed together like a chicken burger) with some bland tomatoes and cilantro thrown on top. Yes it's high in sodium for flavor and preservation. Guess what we preserved meats in 100's of years ago? Salt. These are lower-calorie options for people that eat fast food regularly.

If this is REALLY THAT UPSETTING, don't read it. And be thankful you can afford to worry about something that doesn't affect you in any way. :noway:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    That's it,,, Byrd for president! She agrees with me, so I know she must be right. Hehehe,,, :laugh: