Wine Tasting

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
Every couple of months, my wife invites different gal friends of hers over and they have a Wine Tasting. Whenever she does this, I prepare and serve dishes with the opening of each new bottle.

She's planning her next gathering. August 18. I need about 6 dishes. Already decided on a couple.
-Avocado and Shrimp Soup
-Lobster Egg Rolls
-Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

Going to attempt a Rhubarb Sorbet for dessert.

Still leaves room for a couple of new dishes. That's where you might be able to help me. Looking for some new recipes for appetizers.

I would like to have a couple of one bite appetizers. Maybe a Caeser Salad in a smal bread crust or a Taco Salad in a small Tortilla.

Any ideas? Can't have scallops in it. One of the gals is allergic.

Thanks.

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Not an expert... but will you cook for me?
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    You just said no scallops, but I'm going to stay in the seafood vicinity.

Seared tuna steaks in a wasabi glaze over a bed of greens. I never use recipes, but if you want I'll message you approximates.

A bruschetta is always an easy appetizer. Not difficult to throw your own twist into it. Like adding figs.
    -wtk
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    We make appetizers that have a wheat thin or other crunchy cracker, a slice of brie, a slice of cucumber or avocado.and a clove of roasted garlic on top. It would be good with a very light, crisp white wine like pinot grigio, I think.

Goat cheese instead of brie would make for a more distinct flavour.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I would do cheese and fruit, they go well with wine. Proscuitto wrapped figs with goat cheese? omg. Sounds weird but its divine! Or you could just do a nice spread with fruits and cheeses. A simple salad, maybe spinach, gorgonzola, pears and walnuts.
  • Rangarth
    Rangarth Posts: 121
    Options
    What about small skewers of salami, cheese, olives and peppers marinated in an italian dressing.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    First thing that came to my mind was tuna tartare. With good tuna, it can't go wrong. Your menu is seafood heavy so I'm not favoring creamy or cheesy.

I don't have a ready recipe for it but it's pretty simple if you don't have anything against marinated raw fish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tuna-tartare-recipe/index.html

ETA: Also salmon is good for tartare and may be the choice tastewise for many. I'm not really a salmon person so completely forgot it. Especially since you have no salmon your menu.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Another thought, but what about a mixed olives dish?

Or exotic finger-sandwiches? Rabbit, caramelized onions, and a carrot jam makes for a lovely wine accompaniment. Or for something simpler, cream cheese and mango chutney. You can never go wrong with a croque monsieur.

Oh, or make a Pâté. Classics are classics for a reason.
    -wtk
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Every couple of months, my wife invites different gal friends of hers over and they have a Wine Tasting. Whenever she does this, I prepare and serve dishes with the opening of each new bottle.

She's planning her next gathering. August 18. I need about 6 dishes. Already decided on a couple.
    -Avocado and Shrimp Soup
    -Lobster Egg Rolls
    -Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

So, I can see that you like picking the easy things to make to save yourself some time.

Holy crap man! Are you a chef?
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

-Avocado and Shrimp Soup
    -Lobster Egg Rolls
    -Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

So, I can see that you like picking the easy things to make to save yourself some time.

Holy crap man! Are you a chef?

I'm not a Chef, but it is definitely on my bucket list. Retiring in a few years and moving to Vegas to enroll in Le Cordon Bleu.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you wanted to try a taco salad. Someone else posted how to make the tortilla bowls with muffin pans. I don't have the picture of how it works.
  • Dietprincess
    Options
    How about a goat cheese appetizer.

Take a log of goat cheese, drizzle with honey, roll in chopped pistachio nuts and serve with your favorite crackers and/or veggies. It's yummy!!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bacon Wrapped Asparagus-w/raspberry jam

Taco salad/cups- Won ton wrappers, place them in a cupcake tins, spray lighty with Pam, cook aproximatly 10 min-And you can put everyting imaginable in them.

Home made Hummus-pita cracker

I can go on forever-let me know if you need more??
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    First, Road Dog, I want you to start a group and start giving cooking lessons.
    Im just learning to cook, but its fun.

Simple idea: Brushetta. Tomato and Basil are in here so toasted french bread with mozzarella, tomato, basil olive oil.

Also, I have done a cheese and honey thing similar to above post.
    I cracked parmesian into irregular bite sized pieces and covered in honey. Good sweet salty.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I made an awesome Tomato Avocado stack Sunday. It had fresh heirloom tomatoes layered with avocado, homemade buttermilk dressing, with grilled corn and crumbled bacon on top. Muy yummy!!

2 bacon slices, halved
    1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    2 ears shucked corn
    Cooking spray
    2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices total
    2 globe tomatoes, cut into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices total
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 ripe peeled avocado, thinly sliced
    4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Preparation
    1. Preheat the grill to high heat.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook 8 minutes or until crisp, tossing occasionally to curl. Drain bacon on paper towels.

3. Combine buttermilk and next 5 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

4. Coat corn with cooking spray. Place corn on grill rack; grill 8 minutes or until well marked, turning occasionally. Remove from grill; cool slightly. Cut corn kernels from cobs.

5. Sprinkle tomato slices evenly with salt. Alternate layers of tomato and avocado on each of 4 plates. Scatter corn evenly onto plates. Drizzle each tomato stack with about 1 1/2 tablespoons dressing and 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper over salads; top each salad with 1 bacon piece
  • profgal43
    Options
    Oh the other thing I made this weekend that was a huge hit was buffalo chicken dip. That stuff is addictive. I made it a bit healthier with lowfat cream cheese and lite mayo; still soooo good. I have my recipe at home and can post later if you or anyone is interested.
  • profgal43
    Options
    PS if you use our recipe can we come to the party? :)
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Discussed the possible menu with my wife last night. Think I'm going to combine a couple ideas from you guys. Going to make a stuffed mini pepper for sure. With Feta or goat cheese. Still deciding between the two possible salads.

To those of you who asked, if you are ever in Portland, Oregon, of course you would be invited to my home for a wine tasting or bbq or whatever. I love cooking for others.

As for starting a cooking thread, we're in one right now. I am not a Chef, I just play one at home.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    PS if you use our recipe can we come to the party? :)

Indiana is a long ways from here, but if you ever come this way you can pick the menu.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    I noticed that you wanted to try a taco salad. Someone else posted how to make the tortilla bowls with muffin pans. I don't have the picture of how it works.

I know how to do it. Thanks.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Whenever I have parties I prepare this recipe... Very yummy. Cheers! Enjoy!

Avocado Pesto-Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients

cherry tomatoes (about 1-1/4 pints)
    1/2
    medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut up
    ounces cream cheese, softened
    tablespoons homemade or purchased basil pesto
    teaspoon lemon juice
    Snipped fresh basil (optional)

Directions

1. Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato. (If desired, cut a thin slice from bottoms of tomatoes so they stand upright.) With a small spoon or small lemon baller carefully hollow out the tomatoes. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Invert tomatoes on the towels. Let stand 30 minutes to drain.

2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a food processor bowl combine avocado, cream cheese, pesto, and lemon juice. Cover; process until smooth. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round or open star tip.

3. Place tomatoes, open sides up, on a serving platter. Pipe filling into the tomato cups. Serve immediately or cover loosely and refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving. Sprinkle with snipped basil before serving. Makes 30 appetizers.
    Nutrition Facts (Avocado Pesto-Stuffed Tomatoes)

Calories 18,
    Carbohydrate (gm) 1,
    Fat, total (gm) 1,
    Cholesterol (mg) 2,
    Saturated fat (gm) 1,
    Sugar, total (gm) 1,
    Vitamin A (IU) 146,
    Vitamin C (mg) 2,
    Thiamin (mg) 0,
    Riboflavin (mg) 0,
    Niacin (mg) 0,
    Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,