The number on the scale won't budge!

Options
Help! The # on my scale has not budged in 3 weeks. Despite working out regularly and eating within my allotted calories. I am starting to feel EXTREMLEY discouraged. This is usually the part where I give up because I get the mentality like "It doesn't matter if I work out anyway"

But the odd part is that all my clothes are getting baggier and baggier, I am about to go down a dress size.

What gives?

Replies

• rawebe
    rawebe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Be patient with yourself. I've been a 3 month plateau. Your body is going to kick back into gear.
  • lippy1727
    Options
    Seems like your gaining muscle and thats why the scale isnt moving, but your toning and slimming your shape hence why they clothes are loose but the scales wont budge.
    This is a fantastic achievement well done, who cares if the scales wont go down but your clothes are :-)
  • Philbo102
    Philbo102 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aaah i was hoping some one had replied to you... i have the same problem ( well no i'm a man so no fress size) the scales never move... but my trousers are falling off, my shrits are baggier... i dont get it...
  • efernaays
    Options
    Although you may not be losing weight it is probably because you have gained muscle. That is a good thing especially if you are going down in a dress size! Just keep doing what you are doing :)
  • Nicole_Altieri
    Nicole_Altieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You are building muscle mass and loosing inches. YAY! Thats why your clothes are loose, Cut back on sugar even if its in fruit and eat more raw veggies - mainly green ones. Add fiber to your diet, if you dont like eating a lot of it you can get a powder or pills and add it to a drink. Pooping is KEY! Believe it or not, the more natural unprocessed food you eat the quicker your body will break it down. Try to go a little under your daily calorie goal and kick up your cardio a little more, it will drop soon. Just remember - maintaining is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better then gaining! Keep up the good work, it will certainly pay off in the end.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is why they say that you should measure inches as well as weight. Sometimes your weight can plateau while you're still dropping inches -- due to muscle gain. I would measure inches and pay attention to that.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    try not to let it discourage you. Your cloths fitting better and getting bigger is a better indication that you are still doing all things right. The scale can be a fickle friend and not one that you want to rely on. When my scale isn't being nice I take out my tape measure and 9 times out of 10 I have lost inches. That is good. It means that you are toning up and the muscles are getting stronger and leaner. It can take a while before you stop relying on your scale to be the number one indicator that you are losing weight, but I have found that the tape measure is a better friend. Shrinking out of your cloths is an amazing thing and you should celebrate the victory :):)
  • imanole
    imanole Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Help! The # on my scale has not budged in 3 weeks. Despite working out regularly and eating within my allotted calories. I am starting to feel EXTREMLEY discouraged. This is usually the part where I give up because I get the mentality like "It doesn't matter if I work out anyway"

But the odd part is that all my clothes are getting baggier and baggier, I am about to go down a dress size.

What gives?

This is good news. It means that your body composition is improving. You are most likely loosing fat, gaining muscle in the right places. :)
  • imanole
    imanole Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is why they say that you should measure inches as well as weight. Sometimes your weight can plateau while you're still dropping inches -- due to muscle gain. I would measure inches and pay attention to that.

Exactly. Weight and measurements. The tale of the tape usually is better anyway.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It's because you are losing body fat while keeping your muscle. This is very common. The scale does not tell the entire story. I have lost numerous pant sizes with the scale barely moving.

Don't base your progress slowly on the scale. Rather make sure you track your measurements and base it on that!!

I mean seriously, what feels better anyway? Telling people what your weight is, or what size you are?! ;p
  • cespool85
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded!

I didn't exactly think about that, in that way and it really helped me understand what the hell was going on!
  • cespool85
    Options
    Haha thats so true!!! Size!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Have you researched why this would happen?
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come off as harsh. But at this point do we really not understand the concept... The scale isn't moving but my clothes are falling off. What gives. REALLY??? you really don't know that you are building muscle? You really don't know that muscle may add weight or make you not lose? You are obviously making strides in changing your body if your clothes don't fit... Ugg.

Stepping down off my rant...

Carry on!
  • AlissaFL
    AlissaFL Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too. The numbers on my scale won't go lower but will get higher despite all I am doing. It may be cyclical but it is discouraging. I have been watching my diet with another online plan since March 1, 2012. In the beginning I was doing well, 1 to 3 pounds a week. Then in May, after 12 weeks, I had only lost 9 lbs, so I was discouraged. I started doing Pilates and Yoga in June and lost 3 pounds that month. I also started biking 5 miles once a week. In July I stalled and now I have gained weight every week, about a half a pound to a pound. I am now almost to where I started back in March. I am still watching my diet and still exercising 3 times a week and biking once a week. I'm stronger, my clothes fit better and I feel better, but my weight doesn't match my physical results. I just joined this program today in hopes of some change. I'm not giving up. I know I won't lose weight just wishing the pounds would fall off. And I feel better exercising and eating right. I just want to lose weight too. Is that too much to ask?
  • AlissaFL
    AlissaFL Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Also want to add that my husband started commuting to work via bicycle in April 2012. He was cycling anywhere from 50-100 miles a week depending on the weather. He didn't lose any weight and even gained weight the first 3 months. And then in July he started to see the numbers go down. So far he has lost 25 pounds and we are just into August. I keep trying to tell myself the same thing will happen to me, but it is frustrating. Why can't I lose weight when I eat fewer calories and exercise? Why is there such a long lag time between effort in and results out?