How to get a better cardio work out

Options
Running a gym I see people working out incorrectly all the time.

Most people hop on a machine and just go through the motions thinking that all they need to do is reach their set time. What they don’t realize is that by making a few minor adjustments, they can have much greater results. If you watch people work out on an AMT, EFX or Arc Trainer, you will notice that most people, if not all, are bouncing up and down. Next time you are on one of these machines; try keeping your upper body from moving at all so that your lower body is doing all the work. You will feel your quads burn and you will start sweating much more. Now, if you hold the handle bars and lean back while keeping your upper body still and using only your lower body you will feel your hamstrings and glutes burn. Mix it up throughout your work out and you will get the best of both worlds. If you are using a machine with movable arms, you can move your arms but try to keep your head from going up and down moving only your arms and legs.
Just remember, Mind/Body connection. You need to keep your mind focused on your body throughout your work out. You need to focus on the muscles you wish to target while doing the exercise and be sure not to slack off. Keep your abs and glutes engaged throughout your work out as well. If you go into another world and don’t pay any attention, you will not get as good a result as you would if you stay focused. Be sure to keep your body in proper alignment too. This will keep you from putting unnecessary pressure on your joints and help prevent injury.

Try it and you will feel the difference immediately and see the results faster.

Have fun!!!

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michelle that was a good read!!! Healthy 2010!!!
  • meferretti
    meferretti Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michelle that was a good read!!! Healthy 2010!!!

Thanks for the feedback. A happy and healthy 2010 to you too:)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.:flowerforyou:

Now that I've learned proper form for most of the exercises i do. I realize i was doing them incorrectly and not 1 "gym trainer" ever corrected me. :huh:
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I do find myself "bouncing" on the elliptical when I get tired :laugh: Great paragraph, thanks. I'll keep it in mind when I'm at the gym next :happy:
  • meferretti
    meferretti Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. I am glad you enjoyed it. Let me know your thoughts once you try it. I did the Arc trainer today and my legs turned to jello, plus I pushed myself harder and burned more calories than I did yesterday on the same machine.

Have a nice night!!!:smile:
  • Sunsama
    Sunsama Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for that! I didn't know that, I'll definitely have to give it a shot next time I'm on the elliptical!!!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this....I just started using the eliptical a couple of months ago...I naturally tended to work it as you instructed and thought I was doing it wrong!!! It really is a harder workout, but definitely easier on the knees your way!!!