The color blue helping with weight loss?

00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Bring the color blue into your life more often.

There's a good reason you won't see many fast-food restaurants decorated in blue: Believe it or not, the color blue functions as an appetite suppressant. So serve up dinner on blue plates, dress in blue while you eat, and cover your table with a blue tablecloth. Conversely, avoid red, yellow, and orange in your dining areas. Studies find they encourage eating.

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Losing-Weight/Detail.aspx

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Ha! My kitchen's theme is red!!!!

UGH!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Ha! My kitchen's theme is red!!!!

UGH!

Mine too!!
  • 00Angela00
    Red is the accent color we used in all the rooms of our house! haha ... except the bedroom, go figure
  • Ha! My kitchen's theme is red!!!!

UGH!

Mine too!!

Mine 3! Too funny!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    My kitchen theme is red, yellow, orange, and brown. No wonder I'm so stinkin' hungry every time I walk through the stupid room! Grrr....
  • 00Angela00
    hmm ... paint party time?
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    well wen u think bout it what foods are actually blue cos even blueberries are sorta purple ish lol no wonder its an appetite killer
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    That makes sense to me.. I cant stand drinks with blue caracua in it. Blue drinks make me think of toilet cleaning liquids!!!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    My kitchen is blue not sure it helps. LOL maybe we need to paint all our rooms blue and especially the TV room.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    my dining room is robin egg blue and has been for 3 years, maybe it needs to be darker or something? :(I
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    I'm going to start looking for blue plates and bowls, for me, not the rest of my scrawny family, lol.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    "I'm going to start looking for blue plates and bowls, for me, not the rest of my scrawny family, lol. "

I think I will too. See how that works out...because so many red kitchens on a weightloss website seems a little too ironic!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    really - you all buy into this?
  • 00Angela00
    really - you all buy into this?

There's actually a lot of research on the effect of color and music on a person. It really isn't by-chance that a lot of restaurant's decorate in red. Do some research on it then give us your educated opinion.
  • XFitMojoMom
    I won't even go there with you. but really? hey, buy some blue square plates too, cos square plate apparently helps with weight loss... heck, why not forgo the whole plate... because it is the size of the plate that got you here in the first place.

Really folks!! eat properly on whatever color plate you choose.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    That makes sense to me.. I cant stand drinks with blue caracua in it. Blue drinks make me think of toilet cleaning liquids!!!

Yikes!!! Thanks for that lovely image!!! :laugh: :bigsmile:
    I prefer to think about the beautiful blue sea...... like in your photo!

Interesting idea! Makes sense though..... hmmmm..... most of my dining area is burnt orange!

Red is also used in many stores like: Target, Office Depot, Office Max & Safeway.
    Designed to make us spend more $$$$????? :tongue: :grumble: :explode:
  • kryssy77
    kryssy77 Posts: 219
    Do the research ?? Really dont be so critical of other people!!
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    it makes sense, considering there are no real foods that blue, its just when things seem unnatural you will be unable to enjoy it. although. im not sure how much of an effect a plate will have since you arent eating the plate. lol. maybe if you are cooking, try put some blue food coloring. it wont affect the food, but the look of it would definately throw you off.
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    hahaha, I'm painting my whole house different shades of blue...i like the color anyways!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    My kitchen in my last house was blue-- country blue curtains, chair rail, cute little blue print wall paper and border-- blue print Corelle dishes-- dishcloths, towels, cups--

I ballooned up to 221 pounds--

Be sensible--
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    I moved to my current house in 1996....and have had a blue kitchen from day 1. I went from 143 lbs to 231 in 6 yrs....??????
  • 00Angela00
    haha, by the way keep in mind, blue is not the answer to weight loss by any means! That's not at all what this post is about ...
  • That's funny because I have these portion control plates I eat on and they are blue. Does it matter what shade of blue?
  • XFitMojoMom
    I too believe that colors represent certain energies - green and blue for calming. When I used to have severe anxiety attacks, I would coach myself through it by imagining a blue circle in front of me and focusing on that. But really to say the color blue will help you lose weight is nonsense.
    And what kills me is that the poster of that thread has a Jillian Michaels Quote in her siggie -do you really think the contestants are eating off blue plates? It's dedicating yourself 150%, and eating healthy, whole foods in reasonable quantities!! That is how they get contestants to lose 30 pounds a week!
    It's just frightening how many people will go along with snake-oil science, sell their soul to the devil, rather than do the hard work and get a sense of accomplishment out of their efforts.
    If that sounds harsh - well, I'm sorry... maybe I'm harsh, but I'm not being critical - I just want people to realize what they are *thinking* and *writing*...
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    It is my idea that it doesn't really matter if a plate is blue or not, or if you should suppress your appetite. From every article I have read, and everything I have seen and researched you should actually be EATING all day long. It's about portion control. You use a smaller plate because psychologically it makes you think that you have more food when a smaller plate is covered in food than when a bigger plate is. When in reality they actually have the same amount of food on them.

Mostly though, I bet the "studies" that have been done on this color thing are probably legit in SOME way, but I think it's more if you THINK that blue will make you want to eat less you will eat less because you think that you are going to. In a way you almost trick yourself into eating less.

As for not seeing blue in foods in nature, I am not sure if that's completely true--- some fish ARE blue... so even if their meat isn't... or mold is generally a blue color on cheese and it's not necessarily bad for you to eat it. But--- the thing about blue is that it's the hardest color for your eyes to see. Which is funny because we use it so much. So maybe in that way it has some validity.

But my point really is--- I used a waist trimming belt when I work out--- does it work? Probably not. BUT it makes me FEEL like I am doing something extra, so I work harder so the belt might have to work harder. And if I clean or do chores, I am more likely to want to do them so that I can wear the belt and maybe it will help me. It's all in my head, but it helps because I am tricking my brain into thinking its helping, and it's not making me as stressed about weight loss as I might be otherwise. I think the blue is the same thing.

I don't think fast food places should put more blue on the walls---or whatever. I think they should just stop trying to make everything so cheap and easy and fake--- and put more QUALITY nutrition into their food. Ya know?

-Becca
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    just painted my room and bathroom two shades of blue.. the kitchen is currently calamine lotion pink [was that way when i moved in! haha] and i was gonna do an orangey theme but i suppose more blue will do! haha
  • 00Angela00
    I too believe that colors represent certain energies - green and blue for calming. When I used to have severe anxiety attacks, I would coach myself through it by imagining a blue circle in front of me and focusing on that. But really to say the color blue will help you lose weight is nonsense.
    And what kills me is that the poster of that thread has a Jillian Michaels Quote in her siggie -do you really think the contestants are eating off blue plates? It's dedicating yourself 150%, and eating healthy, whole foods in reasonable quantities!! That is how they get contestants to lose 30 pounds a week!
    It's just frightening how many people will go along with snake-oil science, sell their soul to the devil, rather than do the hard work and get a sense of accomplishment out of their efforts.
    If that sounds harsh - well, I'm sorry... maybe I'm harsh, but I'm not being critical - I just want people to realize what they are *thinking* and *writing*...

I feel like you're taking the original post the the color blue is supposed the be the answer to weight loss? The research isn't saying that all you have to do is live in a blue house, wear blue clothes and eat off blue plates and you'll lose weight. It's just saying that you tend to eat less food in a blue room, than a red one. You still have to EXERCISE, you still wouldn't lose weight if the food you're eating in the blue room is pizza and cheesy french fries ... I think you're taking it the wrong way and were really rude in the mean time.
  • XFitMojoMom
    I wasn't rude, I expressed my opinion...
    Your 1st post insinuated that the color blue was the cure-all for weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.