How to eat 1200 cals

Options
13»

Replies

• delicateflor
    delicateflor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I preplan my meals as well. Another tip is to only eat meat at your main meal. I save mine for dinner with the family. The rest of the day, try to get your protein from egg whites, lowfat dairy or vegetable sources. Also, I always plan for a 1/2 cup of ice cream (insert your dessert of choice) for after dinner. Knowing there is ice cream for later keeps me from guilty snacking during the day. I don't think of it as "rewarding" myself, but a descision that I made, and instead of feeling like I'm just "dieting", it feels like I'm making healthier choices. Lastly - watch your condiments and beverages. These calories can really add up! Wean yourself from the high sugar/high salt flavors in commercial products, and eventually you will begin to taste and enjoy the natural flavors already in your food. Use oil misters, vinegars and spices to flavor salads, potatoes, pasta, etc

It might be especially hard to eat at 1200 at first because your body isn't used to it. If you feel tired or cranky, eat a couple pieces of fruit (even if it puts you over 1200). If you get a headache, a cup of coffee, tea or diet coke might help.
  • 62karen
    62karen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never really thought of that idea. I think I am going to give it a try too. I tend to have a hard time at night and doing this sounds like it just may work. :smile:
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Planning is key for me, I plan my entire day ahead of time that way I can prepare and everything is ready to go that way I have NO EXCUSES to get off track. I like being in control and everything is all ready I feel at ease.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1200 is too little unless, perhaps, you're a small girl who is not exercising. An active person who wants a high-performing body shouldn't be eating the bare minimum.

No matter how many calories you eat, if you are teaching yourself better eating habits, pre-planning is absolutely essential.

I agree. I'm taking in more than 1200 in food each day on days I workout. 1200 is my NET after my workouts. I'm 1200 to lose 1lb/week, 1400 to lose .5/week, and 1600 to maintain. For me personally these numbers are very accurate (I'm at a healthy weight). :)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I pre-track too and wouldn't have it any other way!
    But, I am a planner control freak in other aspects of my life so I am glad to spilled over into MFP. :bigsmile:
  • foreversunshine1
    foreversunshine1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Planning is key... I hadn't thought of logging meals early in the day, but will try it today. I usually just plan in my head what I will be eating and add or take away accordingly. I have, however found that logging exercise sessions early while I am still at work helps motivate me to get the exercise in after I get off...no excuses, because I logged it in.
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't think I do it like you all do it... I don't pre-log anything at all ever... I eat basically the same kind of thing all the time, except special occasions. I just get up and start logging as I go. If I don't eat my 11 am snack, then I don't log it. I pack my lunch from dinner the night before and the stats will be the same, I just copy dinner from yesterday into lunch today. I don't want to plan out every single meal for the whole week...I just do it day by day.
  • ninnalibra
    Options
    I usually plan and log in my meals early morning . I thnk it gives mre a better idea of how much m eating and hence I can reglate my intake better
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I have no problem staying around 1200 now but I used to. Maybe my diary will give you some ideas. I do eat most or all of my exercise calories but this week, like Sunday and Monday I didn't exercise so only ate around 1200 i think;) Not perfect ever but try:) denise
    What do you think about this idea:

Work backwards. Know what you are having for dinner and log it in the morning. Save perhaps another 250 cals for a safety net for after dinner snacking. This way, you know how many cals you can consume for breakfast and lunch.

I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I'm having a hard time staying at 1200 and often times go over. Oh well, at least I have "learned" how to eat my 1700 that I need daily! :)
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day, and I find that as long as I fill that 1200 with lots of protein and even more veggies I have no problem. If I eat something sugary or white bread or pasta, I physically crave more carbs and it totally cranks up my appetite beyond my control. I really have to avoid that stuff, or it can throw me off for a couple of days. I usually don't eat back my exercise calories either but that is only about 200 to 300 per day from walking. I'm not doing crazy muscle building or high intensity cardio where I would really need to eat those calories back. When I first started I wouldn't eat breakfast because my old habit was late night snacking and I wanted to save those calories for at night, but I found that eating breakfast really keeps my appetite in check for the whole day so I don't get so hungry that I need to eat a huge dinner anymore and I have replaced late night snacking with late night sessions on the treadmill to break that bad "tv+wine+yummy snack= only way to relax" habit. Planning out my meals for the day in the morning really helps me feel in control, and takes away the temptation to grab a snack when I am out running errands. Planning meals and sticking to them makes me feel like I am accomplishing a goal every day.
  • peggyrichmond
    peggyrichmond Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can eat 1200 calories but tolerate 1300 much better and up my exercise from 30 minutes to 45-60 per day and always plan out my meals, also if you will find something you really like and eat the same meals, not much thinking about it all the time. :drinker: I do not eat anything I don't like has to be satisfying or I won't stay with it.
  • Lilla35
    Lilla35 Posts: 99
    Options
    1200 is doable for me only with exercise...for me it usually adds 500 more calories and at 1700 calories per day, keeps me satisfied.