Too much muscle from running!

Options

Replies

• haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    10lbs seems like a lot. Yes you can put muscle on from running. I can see it in my legs and they look trim and nice. But no way is it 10lbs! Like someone said, it's probably water.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Quad development from running and not heavy squats who knew.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I have taken up running and have ran about the same as you except for about 3mths. I have noticed a difference in my legs but not that much. I don't know why you would have that dramatic of a change on 2mths of 3mile runs. Doesn't make sense to me either!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    trolls gain muscle alot easier than regular humans i guess.
  • Bazan101
    Bazan101 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just got my first dose of bullish for the day! Thanks! Yum..Yum...Yum..
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the problem is.

I don't either. :huh:
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would love to have this problem
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not sure that's possible at all. I remember Jillian Michaels saying that it would take months and months of hard-core training with tons of weights to add that much muscle!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    why is everyone being so mean? i thought this community was for support?

You're right, automatically calling the OP a troll is mean. However, if you ignore that part of the posts, other things they are saying are correct.

Unless, you are eating above maintenance calories, you are not gaining muscle. It's pretty hard to put on 10 pounds of muscle. More than likely, the OP has gained some muscle tone in the legs, but also has not lost any fat--resulting in larger legs.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Some people on here are mean to people who are starting out. Arrogance is a better word.

Can one of you please show me these mean responses? I am missing them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    We have just found the "secret" to adding 10lbs of muscle to the legs. Just run. Now EVERY bodybuilder will be running to add muscle.:laugh:

Troll.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Wow if I can gain 10lbs of muscle from just running, then hell with lifting. I'm gonna start being one of those marathon'er peoplez.

What about if I also start taking dat der Cell Tech?
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't think you've gained 10lbs of muscle from running.

I run to lean out and slim down.

I lift weights to gain muscle.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and have been for over 5 years.....trng for my 4th full marathon now and run 35-50 miles a week. Lets just say your figures are way off line. Sprinters gain muscle, long distance runners get thin unless they are lifting weights to gain size. If you were running hills you might put on some size, without it you will mainly tone, lose fat and be more aerobically fit. If you were doing heavy squats I could see some increase in your thighs and butt......but not from running 3 miles four times a week.
  • _runchick
    Options

it is NOT POSSIBLE that gaining 10lbs of muscle in two months of running can happen.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I started running about 2 months ago, and have recently bumped up my route to about 3-3.5 miles. I go about 4 times a week and the route is relatively flat. However! I have gained about 10 pounds of muscle mainly in my quads and glutes. It's to a point where few of my pants fit anymore! I have always been able to tone my lower body easily, but I did not think running/jogging would have such results. While I have noticed a reduction of fat all over, these muscly legs are a bit much! Any thoughts or advice?

If you've gained 10 lbs from running, you might want to get a handle on your diet. Because you're eating too many calories to lose weight. And you didn't gain 10lbs of muscle PERIOD in 2 months. Even with a perfect routine a natural body builder can only gain about 2 lbs per month max in muscle.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Love it! How many times do people go on about "cardio" burning muscle? Running, and cycling have a cardiovascular effect, but they have a resistance aspect too!
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Never heard of anyone gaining muscle on their legs while doing long distance running. When im dieting i try to stay away from running to save the muscle on my legs.