My take on "artificial vs natural" when it comes to food

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
Yesterday I had a really good discussion with one of my peers at work on food. She and I are both in great shape, but she assumed that like her I only ate "clean". I explained to her that I ate 80/20 and that my culture/family foods are a big part of my life that brings enjoyment.
Her take that anything "artificial" is bad for the body and that she only promotes "clean" eating to her clients. My stance of course is that I don't limit my clients (though I do encourage whole foods) to what they eat, but more on calorie intake. When all was said and done, we agreed to disagree, but she stated that she asked because my success rate with clients has been very good and recommendation and "wait list" for me is strong and she wanted to know how I was doing it.
That said, here is how I view "artificial vs natural". You CAN'T beat natural food. If eating natural food is available and affordable, then I would encourage it. I eat whole foods 80% of the time. But "artificial" isn't ALWAYS bad even though that may be the stance of alot of "clean" eaters. There are times that "artificial" for the body is fine or even better. For instance if you have bad teeth, then going to a dentist and getting "artificial" teeth can be better for your gums and even how you bite. If someone is born without a limb, we have artificial limbs to offer a better life. The Olympic runner from South America showed that. Artificially coloring your skin, rather than sitting out in the sun or going in a tanning bed is better. Same with enhancing eye site with laser, glasses or contacts. People artificially color their hair, nails, skin, enhance their body look (Spanx and make up for example). So not all artificial is bad.
So when it comes to food, taste, texture and overall enjoyment play a factor. I haven't found "natural" substitute that tastes like a McDonald's Quarter pounder with cheese. Or for gummy worms. Or Pop Tarts. While they do have man made chemicals in them, if you don't overindulge in them, there is no evidence to show that they will end up being your demise (death) if you have it every once in while or in moderation.
Since I know that people who are overweight more than likely got that way from eating "junk", to do a complete 360 (only eat "clean") hasn't have a high success rate for my clients of past. While they did lose weight while on that type of diet, the response I usually got was irritability, stress, deprivation and eventually weight regain because they WANTED to eat foods they weren't supposed to. And I don't think life should be lived with those feelings. Now that's not to say that you can't feel good and happy all the time eating "clean", but what has to be taken into consideration is that is unless they were raised only eating clean, most people will have their "junk" that they really like.
Keep it real. Try to keep it natural as much as possible. Artificial isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but you do have to keep it under control.

Thanks for reading.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know natural vs. artificial, it just sees a chemical. There are synthetic chemicals that pose no problem and there are natural compounds that your body has little ability to process and deal with.

Microbes in your food are of MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH greater concern than anything else that can be worried about in your food.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Bumping so others can read.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a really good discussion with one of my peers at work on food. She and I are both in great shape, but she assumed that like her I only ate "clean". I explained to her that I ate 80/20 and that my culture/family foods are a big part of my life that brings enjoyment.
    Her take that anything "artificial" is bad for the body and that she only promotes "clean" eating to her clients. My stance of course is that I don't limit my clients (though I do encourage whole foods) to what they eat, but more on calorie intake. When all was said and done, we agreed to disagree, but she stated that she asked because my success rate with clients has been very good and recommendation and "wait list" for me is strong and she wanted to know how I was doing it.
    That said, here is how I view "artificial vs natural". You CAN'T beat natural food. If eating natural food is available and affordable, then I would encourage it. I eat whole foods 80% of the time. But "artificial" isn't ALWAYS bad even though that may be the stance of alot of "clean" eaters. There are times that "artificial" for the body is fine or even better. For instance if you have bad teeth, then going to a dentist and getting "artificial" teeth can be better for your gums and even how you bite. If someone is born without a limb, we have artificial limbs to offer a better life. The Olympic runner from South America showed that. Artificially coloring your skin, rather than sitting out in the sun or going in a tanning bed is better. Same with enhancing eye site with laser, glasses or contacts. People artificially color their hair, nails, skin, enhance their body look (Spanx and make up for example). So not all artificial is bad.
    So when it comes to food, taste, texture and overall enjoyment play a factor. I haven't found "natural" substitute that tastes like a McDonald's Quarter pounder with cheese. Or for gummy worms. Or Pop Tarts. While they do have man made chemicals in them, if you don't overindulge in them, there is no evidence to show that they will end up being your demise (death) if you have it every once in while or in moderation.
    Since I know that people who are overweight more than likely got that way from eating "junk", to do a complete 360 (only eat "clean") hasn't have a high success rate for my clients of past. While they did lose weight while on that type of diet, the response I usually got was irritability, stress, deprivation and eventually weight regain because they WANTED to eat foods they weren't supposed to. And I don't think life should be lived with those feelings. Now that's not to say that you can't feel good and happy all the time eating "clean", but what has to be taken into consideration is that is unless they were raised only eating clean, most people will have their "junk" that they really like.
    Keep it real. Try to keep it natural as much as possible. Artificial isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but you do have to keep it under control.

Thanks for reading.

IDEA Fitness member

^^ This.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    well said.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    "...pesticide-free produce is now somehow cleaner, pests and all." - Alan Aragon
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    <3
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Your body doesn't know natural vs. artificial, it just sees a chemical. There are synthetic chemicals that pose no problem and there are natural compounds that your body has little ability to process and deal with.

Microbes in your food are of MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH greater concern than anything else that can be worried about in your food.
    I don't disagree. I believe where the difference comes into play is the micronutritional value of natural vs artificial.

IDEA Fitness member
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post and mirrors the sensible approach I am trying to take to fitness and overall health.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

I don't disagree. I believe where the difference comes into play is the micronutritional value of natural vs artificial.

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, yeah, I totally agree on that. We understand a lot about WHAT the body needs, but where we are lacking is in HOW the body need to get it. Natural food matricies cannot be duplicated by supplementation.

I do draw some lines in natural/organic when folks try to go overboard saying everything you eat needs to be "organic" vs. a "regular" item (speaking fruits and vegetables here mainly). It's here that I believe you start splitting hairs.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post and mirrors the sensible approach I am trying to take to fitness and overall health.

^this
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    totally agree with everything you've said! i personally could not eat 100% clean 100% of the time.. lord, i don't even know if i eat 80/20! but i think everyone needs to find a balance that works for them and that they can maintain in the long run.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Great topic!! Thank you niner for your input and keeping it "real!" 80/20 is a good rule of thumb. I give thumbs up to those parents who refuse to let their children drink soda, eat candy, etc..when it starts to be introduced. My babies ate clean until birthday parties, fun aunties sneaking the sweets, Daddy and McDonald french fries while sitting on the tail gait, etc.. started, and I caved. Some parents do come together and continue to enforce clean eating and those are the children that go on to keep clean eating incorporated in their lifestyles. I know of 3 now eighteen year olds who have "straight edge" tatoo's and carry that through with their diet and lifestyle. And they hang with the rest, without trying to influence or even brag. They are just who they are. Great post.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, yeah, I totally agree on that. We understand a lot about WHAT the body needs, but where we are lacking is in HOW the body need to get it. Natural food matricies cannot be duplicated by supplementation.

I do draw some lines in natural/organic when folks try to go overboard saying everything you eat needs to be "organic" vs. a "regular" item (speaking fruits and vegetables here mainly). It's here that I believe you start splitting hairs.
    Again, no disagreement here! I have friends that only eat organic and complain all the time when they say they can't eat enough calories without feeling full ALL the time. I don't like feeling full all the time, especially when I train.

IDEA Fitness member
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :)
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    totally agree with everything you've said! i personally could not eat 100% clean 100% of the time.. lord, i don't even know if i eat 80/20! but i think everyone needs to find a balance that works for them and that they can maintain in the long run.

Yes.. I agree! :)
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Thanks for reading.

IDEA Fitness member

Great post.

Did you really HAVE to mention the quarter pounder with cheese though? :p
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Great topic!! Thank you niner for your input and keeping it "real!" 80/20 is a good rule of thumb. I give thumbs up to those parents who refuse to let their children drink soda, eat candy, etc..when it starts to be introduced. My babies ate clean until birthday parties, fun aunties sneaking the sweets, Daddy and McDonald french fries while sitting on the tail gait, etc.. started, and I caved. Some parents do come together and continue to enforce clean eating and those are the children that go on to keep clean eating incorporated in their lifestyles. I know of 3 now eighteen year olds who have "straight edge" tatoo's and carry that through with their diet and lifestyle. And they hang with the rest, without trying to influence or even brag. They are just who they are. Great post.
    I know of a few that eat only clean and they have great discipline. I've eaten clean many times for 12 week stints to prep for contests and can honestly say that after about the 3rd or 4th week, you can "rid" yourself of cravings. But as the contest neared, I found myself SO looking forward to the ritual PIZZA eating after each contest!!!! About 8 weeks in I started dreaming about ice cream, fries, chips, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Great post.

Did you really HAVE to mention the quarter pounder with cheese though? :p
    Yep. It's my go to when I want to eat junk.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    shameless bump
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,621 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love this.