passive smoking

Options
I've lived with my partner and his mum for about a year and a half now. She always smokes in the kitchen and i can smell it upstairs!

I started exercising last december, gave up in march and was back at it over a month ago now. Before i could run on the treadmill for 5 mins straight, but now i can't do that! I was on the cross trainer this morning and i got out of breath after a couple of minutes. Could passive smoking be causing this? I don't wheeze or anything.

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It may play a part in it, but it's likely that you need to build up your endurance. Have you looked into Couch to 5K?
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    no but i will do when my calves are better! i can't use the treadmill right now :(
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's more to do with your fitness level.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    no but i will do when my calves are better! i can't use the treadmill right now :(

can you not run outside? it's so much better
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Invest in an air purifier. Or I would move. I would never live in a building where I could smell cigarette smoke.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Invest in an air purifier.

This! If you invest in a good one, its amazing how much they work. When you look at the filter it makes you realize all the crap you really breath in. I don't know if that has to do with your fitness level, but you could give it a try.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I very much doubt it's anything to do with her smoking near you. I barely noticed a decrease in my endurance when I (shamefully) started smoking again. Granted, I'm not a pack a day or anything that extreme, but I would think it's still more than you are getting that indirectly.
    If her smoking in the house bothers you, though, why not try talking to her about it? I know MIL relationships are weird, but maybe if she knew it was bothering you, she would be willing to compromise.
  • haylz247
    Options

can you not run outside? it's so much better

no because the force from running is really hurting them. i did message this guy who does injury assessments and looks at running gaits but he hasn't got back to me :explode:

going to use the cross trainer and maybe bike until i see him and get new trainers.

I'd also get laughed at for running outside. Too many chavs
  • haylz247
    Options
    Invest in an air purifier. Or I would move. I would never live in a building where I could smell cigarette smoke.

i would buy one but can't afford it.

and again, i can't afford to move out! sucks being me
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Try meeting with a physical therapist? Or, judging by your use of the word 'chav,' you might know them as a physiotherapist.