Best Foods to Have On-hand for Snacks

Options
Hi:

I just started dieting (first time ever) so my body is not used to the 1000 calorie (or more, because I have never counted my meals) reduction. What are the best (low cal, carb, fat and sugar) snacks to have on hand to make it between meals?

Thanks!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Veggies with low calorie ranch dressing, fruits (even though they are "high" in sugar, it's "good" sugars), Wheat thins with laughing cow cheese to spread on them.

Those are just a few examples from what I eat. You can look at my diary, it's open, for more ideas. I'm on a 1200 calorie allowance.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • javiersito21
    javiersito21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for dried mangoes and other such fruits
  • Bemosabe
    Options
    Hi there! I have found that raw almonds really help the hunger stay away. As a personal choice, I'm trying to avoid processed food\snacks, but if you are new to the whole concept, then maybe some of the 100 calorie snack packs would help. Fruits and veggies are good, of course, but mostly veggies just for sugar control. I am a big fan of almond, or peanut butter with celery or carrot sticks. Best of luck to you!
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What does Bump mean?
  • jshort152
    Options
    If you can low fat cottage cheese, if not I would go with rice cakes, just watch the sodium. You could also try plain corn flakes to fill you up without much fat, hope this helps!
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I would not recommend eating only 1000 calories, the min. per my dr. is 1200.

I keep, grapes, cauliflower, cherries, apricot (very low in sugar and calories) raw zucchini, and butter nut squash. The squash is cooked, everything else is raw. I keep bowls full, usually two fruit two veggies. prepped and ready to eat. I have some dessert bowls from corell which hold exaclty 1 cup. So I can just eye ball it. I dont use dressing, sugar or anything... Just naked. yummy and filling...

also keep yogurt.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    What does Bump mean?

you have typed something in here and can refer back to it... also moves this thread back to the top... :)
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    Melba toast with low fat chive and onion cream cheese with some sliced sundried tomatoes on top.
    It's crunchy, rich, sweet, and chewy all in one bite- around 170 calories for 4 toasties.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    My usual snacks are peanut butter with crackers or pretzels or cheese and crackers or pretzels. Lately I have been having baby carrots and ranch.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Nuts, they are healthy and satisfy my cravings for something crunchy, just a handful though cause they are high calorie
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't think she meant she was only eating 1000 calories... just a thousand or so less than she used to :)

I tend to snack on veggies and low cal dressing of some kind or apples/celery with some PB2. Occasionally a Yoplait light if I want something a little sweeter.

When I first started, I lived off 100 calorie packs. It was the only way I found I could really keep myself in check.
  • t1nyvessels
    Options
    Berries, bananas, apples, peaches, avocados (fruit you can grab 'n go), veggies for snacking (peppers, carrots, tomatoes, etc.), sweet potatoes, unsalted nuts, frozen fruit for smoothies, Greek yogurt (can blend with smoothies or add ranch seasoning to make a veggie dip), 100 calorie popcorn, peanut butter (great on apples, bananas, toast, etc.), Larabars (only 2-9 ingredients, a much better choice than most energy bars), sugar free pudding.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I try to eat my fruit for breakfast and morning snack, and more protein meals and snacks for the rest of the day. So for example my morning snack could be an apple with string cheese, yogurt, a banana with peanut butter. For afternoon snack, I happen to like cottage cheese, or I might eat a Pure Protein bar, or almonds.

I liked the idea of the 100 cal packs. They have everything salty and sweet so you won't feel deprived. I've just found for myself if I eat prepackaged/prepared food my body doesn't do very well, so I'm still trying to do as natural as possible.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are my go-to snack, but for low-cal, it's celery or carrot sticks.
  • anpow669
    Options
    Hummus with any fresh veggies.. fruit .. nuts!
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Veggies, veggies, veggies! (What did you expect from a vegetarian? hahaha)

Fruit, crackers, cheese, nuts (watch the portion sizes), nut butters (again w/ the portions!), yogurt (plain Greek yogurt w/ fresh fruit is waaay better than that sugary Yoplait crap)

I've read that it's good to mix carbs & protein, and I find that it helps me. Today I had a small apple & 1 T almond butter for morning snack. Other days I'll have a Wasa Crispbread & Laughing Cow (light Swiss) cheese spread. For afternoon snacks, I'll eat carrots & a handful of nut/raisin mix. I like to pack my mixed nuts in small containers, and I count out the number of nuts as I put them in.

My Diary is open, so feel free to check it out!
  • SMP151
    SMP151 Posts: 32
    Options
    Raw almonds, baby carrots, celery and peanut butter, Tricuit thin crisps with a pepper jack cheese stick. These are my current faves. I also love plain 0% fat greek yogurt with dry oats, stevia and fresh raspberries. These all keep me satisfied. :)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Nuts, laughing cow cheese on crackers, cottage cheese.
    Cheese sticks
    100 cal bags of popcorn
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Love dried veggies (crunchy and healthy), fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts.