Running Just Didn't Work Out For Me-- It's OK!

Options
Just wanted to throw this out there :) Share my story. I know that many people say that anyone can run... And I think it's true, everyone can go fro walking to jogging then running. I just don know that everyone SHOULD start running.

I decided within the year of my 30th birthday, I would run a marathon. Started training for it about 7 months before the race. I slowly increased my miles per week & had a fantastic long distance running partner. My knees would kill me after I ran more than 4 miles. My SI joints would be on fire. I talked to my doctor. Changed shoes, had stride analyzed, got knee braces, added strength training, started taking ice baths, shoes inserts, stride correction attempts, started getting physical therapy, etc. Anything I could do to alleviate the pain. After long runs, I would have trouble getting from a seated to standing position, having to use my arms to push myself up.

But I had made this goal, so I just kept running and trying different ways to stop the pain. I felt so alive after long runs that the pain seemed worth it. A lot of runners have this mentality I think.

Anyway, after training and training the big day came. Little did I know it but that morning I had started coming down with the flu! Made it 13 miles into the marathon and had to stop because of heat exhaustion (raging fever!)
I was pretty devastated... Cried and hated that I DNF.

Decided to sign up last minute for a marathon two weeks later... Not the smartest thing but summer was coming and I knew I couldn't run in the heat. So I signed up... And I ran it. Finished the entire 26.2! Fast time?! No way! But I did it! It was a glorious feeling!

Although it was amazing, and I miss that long run accomplished feeling. Running just isnt in the cards for me. It took my physical therapist a bit to figure put my pelvis is really misaligned. It's my skeletal structure, so other than strengthen the muscles around my pelvis/core and get readjusted all the time, there isn't a ton I can do to fix my SI joint pain/knee pain. Running will probably always aggravate my symptoms.

I guess I just want to say pain with running/training is common... But sometimes the problem lies a little deeper than typical training aches and pains. Listen to your body and consult your doctor everyone! Runners are hardcore and most people suggested I just keep running through the pain & it would go away. I definitely don't want to have knee replacements so I think I will stick with low impact activities!

That's my story :)

Replies

• RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You know what is totally cool, that there are so many other great activities that you can do to achieve fitness, so there is not any reason in the world to even sweat it, RIGHT? Congrats on your marathon. I'm training for my first. Hope my story ends well. LOL

Now you can say you're a marathon finisher...but I don't blame you for not pursuing a sport that is counterintuitive to your health. It's not worth the pain. :) Thanks for sharing your story.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your marathon! It's an unreal feeling when you cross the finish line!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I agree that not every sport is not right for every body, and that it is smart to listen to your body. Your misalignment and other joint issues sound painful. I hope you find relief.

I would also say that going from a couch to a marathon isn't also the smartest plan, either. You wrote that it took you 7 months to train, but most runners should build up a really really really good base before attempting to add that kind of mileage without risking alot of injuries. As in, build to 3-4 miles, stay there for a few months, build to 5-6 miles, stay there for a month or two, and then build up again to a half or a full distane- so maybe around a year to go from couch to marathon without overly risking injuries.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree that not every sport is not right for every body, and that it is smart to listen to your body. Your misalignment and other joint issues sound painful. I hope you find relief.

I would also say that going from a couch to a marathon isn't also the smartest plan, either. You wrote that it took you 7 months to train, but most runners should build up a really really really good base before attempting to add that kind of mileage without risking alot of injuries. As in, build to 3-4 miles, stay there for a few months, build to 5-6 miles, stay there for a month or two, and then build up again to a half or a full distane- so maybe around a year to go from couch to marathon without overly risking injuries.

THIS
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I didn't say I started running 7 months before :) I said I started training for the marathon 7 months before.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I didn't say I started running 7 months before :) I said I started training for the marathon 7 months before.

Ok, sorry. That wasn't clear in your original post.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    no everyon can be a long distance runner.

even running 3-4 miles here and there, or even long walks is really good for you

I would focus more on other things though

biking for one

strength training
    yoga

just go for it
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    sadly i know i will never be a marathon runner! ive been running for 10 years and everything i up my mileage over around 10 miles i just start aching and stop to avoid injury. My knee had been bothering me on and off, and im not willing to risk it. Id rather continue my 5ks and enjoy the running i can do, than push it and end up hurting myself! I used to be tempted to run through the pain. I think running can just be so addictive! but i dont!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I understand this completely. In my old running days (before foot surgeries, baby, etc) the most I was ever able to do was a half-marathon distance. I had vague aspirations of doing a marathon at some point, but my body was not up for it. I'm slowly starting to run again now and I have no plans of doing any races at the moment. Short runs work great for me. Long runs, not so much.
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with being OK with not running right now- really enjoy short runs! After about a year of walking daily and then doing the C25K plan, I find my knees really bother me if I run more than 3 miles. It isn't that I CAN'T, it's that I worry that I SHOULDN'T. My orthopedic doc says there are no obvious signs of damage, but I would have to have my knees scoped to be sure. Not really sure this is what I want when there are so many other activities. :/
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used to run all the time. I even trained other people to run under the Jeff Galloway program...

I didn't get injured but I got burnt out.

I no longer run. I just strength train and found out I actually prefer it now. And I agree...it's ok!