How late is too late??

Options
How late is too late to work out on any given day? I ask this because I quit the gym due to my lack of being able to get up at 3:30 to get to work. I decided to order Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and plan on doing at night.

I am having a hard time taking time away from my son so I thought hopefully he would go to bed by 7-8 and then I would work out and then go to bed.

I used to work out right at 5 when I got home until he was born. I don’t want to miss out on time with him so I thought I would get up in the AM to work out but that didn’t work because its too hard to get up when my baby would not go to bed early enough or would wake up during the night.

Should I feel guilty about working our right when I get home and then holding him after while I clean and make dinner?

Is it bad to work out right away and have a late dinner and then sleep right after dinner?

I’m just having a hard time, morally, trying to figure out when to work out.

Replies

• KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Welcome to motherhood, where everything makes you feel guilty.

Workout when you can, accept that you're a better mother when you're healthy, and that a workout is only 4% of your day... Let him stay up 4% longer if it helps you feel less guilty.
  • claismit
    claismit Posts: 21
    Options
    How about taking him out for a walk/jog??? That way you're with him AND getting a work out!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get it in whenever you can, Time doesn't matter. They have 24 hour gyms for a reason.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I finished work at midnight the other night - came home and worked out. Felt good to blow some steam off, actually. Not my normal exercise time, but it didn't do me any harm either.....
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    put him in a corner on a blanket with some toys while you work out...let him watch...little ones watching their parents work out will often grow up to be active themselves...

then hug the stuffing out of him when you're done and let him stay up a little later to make up for the workout time.

if you work out once he's in bed all the time, he will never know that you are an active person, and having active parents is key for active kids.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I always see moms with their jogging stroller maybe you could look into one of those? Or moms biking with a carriage attachment?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is no "too late" - it's all personal preference.

I've been known to workout in the middle of the night if I can't sleep. I'll pop in a movie and spin for 45 minutes at 2am.
  • shirin8
    shirin8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same issue every day (full time working mom of 3 3 and under). We work out around 9pm each night and eat afterwards (the kids get to sleep around 8-830pm and then we prepare the meal). It's hard but doable--try not to have a very heavy dinner and it is manageable. Good luck!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I work out around 9 pm on average sometimes even a tad later than that. That works great for me. Any time you can fit it in is the best time for you to do it. It needs to be something that works with your life/schedule.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I usually work out right when I get home from work and before I get my kids from daycare, if I can't fit it in then I'll do it after they go to bed around 7/8pm.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    put him in a corner on a blanket with some toys while you work out...let him watch...little ones watching their parents work out will often grow up to be active themselves...

then hug the stuffing out of him when you're done and let him stay up a little later to make up for the workout time.

if you work out once he's in bed all the time, he will never know that you are an active person, and having active parents is key for active kids.

^^^THIS.

You just have to work it in when you can. I know it's not easy to feel like you're taking that time away from him, but it will be ok. Try not to make yourself feel guilty about it. There are a million things to make you feel guilty as a mom, and doing something healthy for yourself definitely should not be one of them!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Been through it and I totally understand. If your workout is a mostly upright one, think about wearing the baby during it. I used to put him in a little front carrier during my workouts. It's added weight (better workout) for you and baby's right there with you. If the workout makes that impractical, then have him in a swing or blanket and talk to him while you go. I found with my first that as long as I was talking to him he was cool. Then, spend some quality time.

The big thing is to do a workout when you're going to get it done and it wont' interfere with sleep. If you can do a workout after dinner/bed and still get to sleep yourself, then go for it. If you'll DO it. I know by then I'm ready to crash. If that's too tough, then do the 5 o'clock workout and remember that he's just as happy to be in the same room usually.

ETA: after mine turned three or so, they started getting curious about my workouts. Now they do it with me b/c they think it's too funny what I do.

Keep it up and remember that you're a great mama!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

This exactly. When my youngest was just a small baby I would put her in her swing and she would watch me practice my zumba. Now she is 2 and joins me for my JM 30 day shred or yoga. She loves that I work out and now its something she enjoys doing with me, even if to her its still just being silly. Kids need to learn at an early age that being active and healthy is an important part of life.
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try out different things...people's bodies respond differently to different times of workouts. I work out between 9 and 11pm, because I have no other time during my day. I usually just have a light post-workout snack (i.e. milk, or a few turkey slices) before passing out in bed. I also can't get up earlier than 7 am to work out, so I can't squeeze in a workout before work anyways.

On the other hand, I have friends who wake up at ungodly hours to workout before work because late-night/evening exercise keeps them awake for long periods of time.

Play around with different times to see what works for you, your family, and your goals. I would just try to get dinner in before a workout. Have dinner around 6 or 7, get your son to bed when you think is appropriate (I believe you said 7 or 8?), then get your workout in after he's asleep. That way, you have an hour or two for dinner to start digesting (and enough carbs/nutrients/energy to get you through a workout), and you don't need to eat a large meal right before going to bed (which doesn't really give your body enough time to digest anything). Good luck!
  • cjaharmon
    cjaharmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I sleep like a baby after I do a late work out...and I regularly work out between 7 and 8. It is okay.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't have any little ones at home (my son just graduated from college), and I have done a workout video after 8pm. That just happens to be when we finish dinner and finish cleaning up the kitchen. After I finish, I drink a bottle of water, use the bathroom and head to bed. From a fitness standpoint, I don't think it matters much.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The wife and I have found that waiting for our daughter to fall asleep meant that there was no evening workout. For the first hour she is very sensitive and wakes on a dime. What we do now is that I wake up at 4:30am and get my workout in (yup, sucks something fierce) and then she stops on her way home while I pick up the midget. You didn't mention if there was someone else to help watch him after work or not.

My personal preference, after doing it for a while, is to get up in the morning and get the workout in. It's the only time where the odds are in our favor that they won't wake up.

Also, as "claismit" says above, a jog/run with him is not a problem beyond snacks and diapers. We found a joging stroller at a "Once upon a child" store for $50. This thing works real well. The motion puts her to sleep, and lets me cheat a little by redistributing my weight a little during a jog.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    I had the same issue. I waited until my daughter was in bed to work out usually 8ish. It has gotten to the point that I tell her that I can tell her a story and cuddle for a minute but then 'mommy needs to work out'. I usually passed out with her. She didn't like it at first but I also explained to her that I needed to be healthy so we can do more fun stuff and I won't get so tired so soon. She sometimes participates in some of the dvd's I do but most of the time she just keeps encouraging me and throws me pointers when she is up.

Just figure out which one works for you best. I have noticed that having done the exercises in the evening's help me get rid of the stress from the day and I sleep better. It all comes down to what you end up being more comfortable with. Good luck!
  • melann1974
    Options
    I used to do squats and lunges while holding my son (until he got too big). When he was older, I bought him a set of his own weights (1lb) and he did some workouts with me, including yoga.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try not to feel guilty about working out. In reality you are getting healthy which is a fabulous gift to him. Do it whenever you can. Whether that be when you get home or after he goes to sleep. Switch it up. There may be some days YOU don't want that time away from him and other days you need it! I think it is great for kids to see their parent being active. My 2 year old son loves his jogging stroller, and on days I do a jillian michaels workout, he is right beside me doing arm crosses and his version of "crunches" haha!!!