Core

Options
Hello all,

I have had back trouble for the last few years I believe I need to strengthen my core considerably! Can anyone suggest some basic excersices to get this done? I am in decent shape and have tried crunches and sit ups, but I get the worst muscle cramps it prevents me from doing any real type of ab workouts. Help!!!!

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Planks
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Pilates. Try a class, or check out POP Pilaes on YouTube, ESP the ones labeled for beginners.
  • thekid2169
    thekid2169 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I will try these things. They offer Pilates at my gym.... Bonus!!!
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thekid2169
    Options
    Ok what is bump? Yeah Im slow sorry:)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yoga also and heavy lifting - deadlifts, squats, push ups, rows, overhead presses. All engage the core and are much more beneficial for the back than cruches and sit ups.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Ok what is bump? Yeah I slow sorry:)

bumping a thread saves it to your "My Topics" section so you can come back and read it later without having to search for it. It also "bumps" it to the top of the board.
  • thekid2169
    Options
    Yoga also and heavy lifting - deadlifts, squats, push ups, rows, overhead presses. All engage the core and are much more beneficial for the back than cruches and sit ups.

How often on the strength training excersices? For example dead lifts 2x a week or 3x a week?
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    There are two, possibly three king of core exercises. And its not planks, pilates or some silly abs machine.

It goes like this

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Walking Lunges (preferrably weighted)

Master these exercises and your core will be strong like bull.

Go now and practice thy exercises, and try not to snap some sh** up.

;)
  • thekid2169
    Options
    Ok what is bump? Yeah I slow sorry:)

bumping a thread saves it to your "My Topics" section so you can come back and read it later without having to search for it. It also "bumps" it to the top of the board.

Thanks I'm new to message boards I appreciate the help!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Can't speak for yoga, as I've never tried it. I did buy into the heavy lifting advice for a while, though, until I started getting back into martial arts workouts a few weeks ago. Even though my deadlift is up over 300lbs now and squat isn't far behind, my core strength is nowhere close to where it needs to be. Ground work (Jiu-Jitsu) is just destroying my abs right now.

You certainly don't need to do sit-ups, leg raises or whatever to get a six-pack or have abs that look good, but for certain types of exercise, just using them as stabilizers isn't enough.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com they have a video exercise database
  • jenniet04
    Options

How often on the strength training excersices? For example dead lifts 2x a week or 3x a week?

I lift 3x a week - but only do deadlifts every other workout and squats opposite deadlifts every other workout (so not on the same day). You should do at least 2x a week, but that's totally up to you.
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    question... what are deadlifts? From what I have gathered, its like doing a squat, but picking hand weights up that or to the side of you?
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Hopefully this works - this is a regular deadlift, there are many variations and you can find videos on youtube

how-to-deadlift.jpg

I got the picture from this artice - http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-form - form is VERY important when deadlifting so you don't hurt yourself.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yoga, pilates, planks -- and doing situps on an exercise ball might provide enough cushion (depends on how your back is hurt). Supermans are good, too.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com they have a video exercise database

Thanks so much for sharing this site :smile:
  • thekid2169
    Options
    Thanks everyone you guys are the best!!!!
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have....well had back issues and my back is just now earning my trust. I did a lot of the JillianMichaels videos. They built up my leg strength and my abs. I do her ab workout quite a bit and I think it really helped. The main thing I can say about it is modify. I learned the exercises that were gonna tweak my back so i did others in it's place. I just don't do them. Even now that I feel brave. It is just not worth it. Build your core and stick with what you trust and understand it is not worth the setback.

I'm doing some kettle ball ab workouts now and I am being very careful! I am starting with a very light weight. You can get great abs and help your back without killing yourself.

Be patient and Good luck!