Hi everyone - I'm looking for motivation buddies!!!

Options
Hi Guys, hope everyone's well and had a great New Year.

I, like so many, have decided now is the time to really get serious and set myself some weight loss goals. I've struggled with my weight since my early 20's (I'm 29 now) after having been an active/slim teenager. In the past 9 years my weight has yo yo'd as fad diets were tried and discarded, brazillian diet pills taken and found to be the most amazing things ever - then declared illegal, and exercise regimes discarded after a couple of weeks.

I always have a very strong start, and can keep myself going for a few weeks, but without someone to share it with and be encouraged by I lose interest . I know I should be encouraged by the successes as the weight drops off, but I'm not. It's odd, almost like I need other peoples approval more than I value my own. In the past I've actually wondered if I am subconciously sabotaging my efforts and am too comfortable with the invisibility shield this layer of fat gives me. Once thats gone I'm out of excuses!

Whatever the reason I have decided that enough is enough. I have put in 5 stone (and gone up 6 dress sizes) in the past 2 years through a combination of poor eating habits and a complete change of lifestyle (moving back to the UK from Miami - land of the body concious), and it has to go.

To be honest, if it wasn't for that fact that I'm having to buy bigger clothes sizes I probably wouldn't have even noticed, I know that sounds preposterous but when I look in the mirror I don't see it, I see myself as the same size I always have. Even when at my skinniest (size 6/8) I didn't look in the mirror and see myself as slim - I saw what I've always seen, and continue to see now.

That said I'm not happy with the way I am now and am determined to do something about that.

I've read enough and heard enough to know that my biggest problem is my relationship with food. I don't really like chocolate so barely eat sweets, and I don't eat excessive amounts, but I do reward and console myself with my favourite foods. Everytime I feel like I've achieved something or worked really hard I treat myself to a chinese or other takeaway. If I'm upset or stressed I think that a chinese and takeaway will cheer me up. If I stay in on a weekend night (which I hate - being stuck in the house on my own when everyone else it out enjoying themselves) then I'll justify that I've saved lots of money by not going out so deserve a little treat to make my plight more bearable. It's not like I'm constantly eating take outs - but I'm obviously over indulging when I do and doing this far too often to be healthy.

I know I can't blame anyone but myself about this, but it also doesn't help that I have a skinny flatmate who has the exact same eating habits as me yet manages to remain a perfect size 10 (without exercising). We're bad influences on each other because even when I haven't had a bad day, she has and so wants the comfort and pick me up of yummy food and a movie. During the day I'm very careful about what I eat, and I'd say 4/5 days out of 7 we cook a healthy dinner, but not healthy enough to level out the excessive calories consumed on the other 2/3 days. So..... it may seem a little drastic but I think a real change is needed....

In less than a month I am moving out, moving back to my parents for a while which will serve the dual purpose of helping me save money for a deposit on a house and also help me break my bad eating habits. My parents are really quite health concious and have always viewed my weight fluctuations with disdain. I'm hoping that this will be a big enough motivator to keep me on the right path. I want to drop 3 stone by the summer and am aiming to get back to (and maintain) a size 12 figure. I have calculated that with a loss of 2lb's per week I should reach my goal by May 23rd (I started on Monday!).

This site is a god send with the calorie counting and targets broken down into such easy terms but now I'm looking for weight loss buddies to help me stay on track, and of course I'll provide the same motivation in return.

I know it's less likely but also if theres anyone local I'd love an exercise buddy, even if just once a week. I'm open to most activity, I can't run to save my life but am willing to try!

Anyone interested?

Replies

• markei1
    markei1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am part of the FAB FOURS group and it is awesome. You weigh-in weekly and you set a 4 week goal for yourself. Each week comes with daily challenges to assist in your "better you" efforts. Hope you join!
  • lahard0
    lahard0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi Katey-

I have been a yo-yo dieter as well. I have been back on the wagon for a few months now, and luckily have already lost quite a bit, but still have at least another 10lbs to go. I realize that is less than you, but if you are looking for someone to help motivate you, I'd like to think I am pretty good at that.

I have never been one to gorge, but have commonly made poor eating choices. Back when I was stationed in the UK, my favorite thing to do was order pizza w/ a side of Chinese and some gougon (Im sure I spelled that wrong) wings. LOL. I gained so much weight. Here in MS, we fight to maintain our posistion as Americas fattest state. As you can imagine, being healthy and staying fit remains a constant challenge.

Here is what has helped me the most so far. 1) Having a fitness center membership, and more importantly- taking fitness classes. I still workout on the elliptical on my own, but after taking classes for awhile...I found that I made friends, and developed a sense of accountability. If I skip a few days...people know! And it sucks to show back up and hear "Where have you been?" Its also nice to look forward to seeing people daily and chatting about your goals, lives, etc. If you dont find anyone to exercise with, I seriously think taking classes will help. Just make sure they are a legitimate class, and you are not wasting time doing something that isn't actually beneficial. 2) The other thing that has really helped me along has been reducing eating out (and when I do, I commonly read to a great book I have called "Eat this, not that." Also, what I have found to be VERY helpful has been to maintain less food in my house. Typcially, if the food isn't there...I wont be motivated enough to head out to the store to buy it. When I lived in the UK, and the fridge's were small...I hated that fact that I might have to to shop for groceries multiple times in a week....now I love that idea. Also, I try to buy less snack foods for the same reason.

Anyway, I tend to babble a lot, but if you would like to chat and help motivate one another please let me know.

Good Luck !!

L