Protein Side Effects?

Ok, graphic eww question: Does protien powders make your tummy hurt, give you gas, and make you poo more? I seem to be having these issues directly related to the protein powder. Am I just weird or is this normal?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Ok, graphic eww question: Does protien powders make your tummy hurt, give you gas, and make you poo more? I seem to be having these issues directly related to the protein powder. Am I just weird or is this normal?

Normal however some brands will get you worse than others, and I can only say that based on personal experience. I've had kinds that were horrendous (I'm talking like....plants wilt, grown men and women run away in terror, children cry, etc) and other kinds that aren't bad at all.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Ha :) I think it dependent on the person... and the quality of your supplement... high quality supplements are usually more expensive, but... worth it.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Are there any milk products in your protein powder?
  • Not protein but had those symptoms with Creatine. Until I dissolved the creatine in warm water.

Any other changes to your nutrition plan?
  • Tiabean86
    Tiabean86 Posts: 38 Member
    I use the EAS Lean 15. Not bottom shelf but not the best of the best either. It does contain mailk products- but I have no issue with milk or lactose. It's gotten to the point I have to take 2 Gas-X and 2 Tums after every shake. My diet is the exact same besides the addition of the protein powder.
  • Tiabean86
    Thanks for answering the actual question! Lol :) So I am normal... yay (I guess lol)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    I have no issues with protein powder EXCEPT the 'designer whey' brand. OMG..that one will kill me. It's potty time, flatulence ahoy and omg..just nasty.

I seriously think it's just a matter of how your system tolerates any one kind..keep trying them :)
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    you might have an intolerance to one of the other ingredients. My husband has food intolerances and literally the only protein powder he can take is the soya. Might be worth trying a different type of protein?
  • Fitty_Cent
    Fitty_Cent Posts: 41 Member
    Personally, no, but anything with sugar alcohols, like some protein bars, eep. I ate one a few hours ago because I ran out of my other ones and my tummy is already mad at me.
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Too much protein from powders/shakes can damage the kidneys which is why it's vital to drink those 8 glasses of water to keep the excess flushed out of you. I learned this through my medical weight loss clinic.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    You could also try vegan protein powders if it becomes intolerable. There are a lot out there besides soy (rice, pea, hemp, etc.). Most are lower in protein than whey or casein, but might help with the GI issues. For some people, they may not be fully lactose intolerant, but still have a sensitivity to whey.
  • Tiabean86
    I actually don't get enough protein- which is why I started the protein powder lol. I drink anywhere from 20-30 glasses of water everyday (I have health issues that make me thristy all the time lol). Oh and it is the Desinger Whey stuff lol. Taste super yummy but my tummy just doesn't seem to like it lol.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Too much protein from powders/shakes can damage the kidneys which is why it's vital to drink those 8 glasses of water to keep the excess flushed out of you. I learned this through my medical weight loss clinic.
    What quantities of protein are you referring to?
    I've heard of a couple of body builder types experiencing kidney failure that was attributed, at least partially, to their protein intakes....but they were consuming 400gms + a day, which is an insane amount of protein.
  • SweetT415
    SweetT415 Posts: 71 Member
    I had those issues with my protein powder too. I learned that drinking a glass of water right after helps. I usually drink two to be extra cautious. :laugh:
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Sugar alcohols will do that :explode:
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Responding so I can follow this post later one.

On a side note; I have noticed my stomache rolling around more gas since I started eating more protein. I am not sure it is attributed directly to it since I have not been feeling 100% lately either.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member

Normal however some brands will get you worse than others, and I can only say that based on personal experience. I've had kinds that were horrendous (I'm talking like....plants wilt, grown men and women run away in terror, children cry, etc) and other kinds that aren't bad at all.

^hahaha. oh, sidesteal. to the OP, i've had increased moooovements and gas. that's why i like to not have more than one shake a day. if that. :)
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    What quantities of protein are you referring to?
    I've heard of a couple of body builder types experiencing kidney failure that was attributed, at least partially, to their protein intakes....but they were consuming 400gms + a day, which is an insane amount of protein.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. My left kidney woke me up this past Saturday night. I'm on antibiotics now and it feels better but there is still a burn. I'm wondering if it may be due to too much protein.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Different brands do me that way, so I had to find something that would work for me....I like muscle milk with water
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member

Bwahahaha! Yep, there are some that are HELLACIOUS when I've tried them. You'll know it when your toilet regurgitates.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition