Hypothyroid??

Options
Hi everyone. I posted about a week ago about my symptoms. I'm wondering if you all know anything about Hypothyroidism and could offer some more insight based on my new blood test results.

I got a print out of my recent labs. My FT3 was 2.6 (range 2.0-4.4), my FT4 was 1.10 (range 0.82-1.77), and my TSH was 4.060 (range 0.450-4.500).

Also my B12 was elevated along with my lymphocyte (47). Any idea what would cause these to be high? I have not take a B-vitamin in about 6 months or more. Any insight would be great.

I'm also going to copy and paste from my last thread. Thanks everyone!

"I'm a 26 y/o female and have been having symptoms for close to a year. About a year ago I initially went to the doctor because of my pure exhaustion and inability to concentrate. My blood test showed that I had Epstein bar in my system and that I was really dehydrated (which we never got to the bottom of why since I drink water all day long.) They also tested my TSH and T4 levels which they said were "normal". My TSH was 3.720 (normal range 0.4-4.5) and my T4 was 1.07 (not sure of range).

We ended up chalking my symptoms up to the Epstein Bar and the fact that I was planning my wedding and was stressed.

After the wedding I got another blood test and they said the Epstein Bar was fine now and I was still mildly dehydrated but not bad. However I STILL felt awful even with the wedding over.

I have gained 15 lbs in the last 9 months since my wedding all while working out 5-6 days a week and logging my eating.

I've also been feeling extremely depressed. I have issues with depression for years, as does my mom and most of her side of the family. I had it under control though with Wellbutrin for so long now all of a sudden it seems the medicine has stopped working.

Here's my question... My mom and sister both have thyroid problems. Even though my thyroid tests came back "normal" could I still be hypothyroid?

I went for more bloodwork a couple days ago and am waiting to hear back. My PCP doesn't think it's my thyroid based on my results from last year. Although i did convince her to check my TSH, FT4, and FT3 along with a bunch of other stuff that could be causing the problem.

ALSO, one more weird symptom... my eye has been twitching lightly on and off everyday for almost 6 weeks. I also only see floaters in the eye that's been twitching."

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The simple answer: yes.

Many good endos understand that we're still learning about the thyroid. Your TSH levels are actually high normal (and went up nearly a full point in a year; even that change could affect how you're feeling). The range of normal just changed in the last year or so; it's possible it will change again soon.

With the history of thyroid in your family, a recent change, a "high normal" TSH reading, and your overall symptoms not feeling better, there's a good chance you could be having thyroid issues. See an endo, or change to a better endo.

Also, I'd consider checking your adrenals (particularly if you have Epstein bar in your system, and you have such hypo symptoms).
  • mizlaur123
    Options
    The simple answer: yes.

Many good endos understand that we're still learning about the thyroid. Your TSH levels are actually high normal (and went up nearly a full point in a year; even that change could affect how you're feeling). The range of normal just changed in the last year or so; it's possible it will change again soon.

With the history of thyroid in your family, a recent change, a "high normal" TSH reading, and your overall symptoms not feeling better, there's a good chance you could be having thyroid issues. See an endo, or change to a better endo.

Also, I'd consider checking your adrenals (particularly if you have Epstein bar in your system, and you have such hypo symptoms).

Thanks! I don't know much about the adrenals or testing them so I'm gonna do a little research on that. Thanks for your insight!

-Lauren
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Get a referral to an endocrinologist. Even if you're in the 'normal' range you could be on the low side of normal.

Also are you on a birth control pill? I was on one and had symptoms of an underactive thyroid but all my tests came back that it was in the normal range. I was exhausted all the time, had trouble getting out of bed in the morning. There were times on the weekend where I would go to bed at 8 p.m., get up at 9 or 10 the next morning, be up long enough to eat some breakfast and watch tv before I napped for four hours. Seriously.

I have since been off the pill for a year and at least two weeks after going off of it my energy levels improved dramatically. Now the only time I take a nap is if I'm going to be out late or I didn't sleep well the night before.

If you are on the pill it's worth looking into.
  • mizlaur123
    Options
    Get a referral to an endocrinologist. Even if you're in the 'normal' range you could be on the low side of normal.

Also are you on a birth control pill? I was on one and had symptoms of an underactive thyroid but all my tests came back that it was in the normal range. I was exhausted all the time, had trouble getting out of bed in the morning. There were times on the weekend where I would go to bed at 8 p.m., get up at 9 or 10 the next morning, be up long enough to eat some breakfast and watch tv before I napped for four hours. Seriously.

I have since been off the pill for a year and at least two weeks after going off of it my energy levels improved dramatically. Now the only time I take a nap is if I'm going to be out late or I didn't sleep well the night before.

If you are on the pill it's worth looking into.

Nah. I went off nuvaring back in November because I thought it was causing symptoms. Turns out I still have all the symptoms without it anyway lol. Ugh! It's frustration.

I'm going to an endo at the end of the month. That appt can't come soon enough!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just to elaborate so there's clarity with Jennieb's comment: to have "low" or "underactive" thyroid, your TSH levels are actually higher. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone, which comes from the pituitary (since, as you'll learn, boy are those endocrine glands all connected...). If your TSH is high, it means the thyroid needs MORE hormone to come from somewhere else, meaning the thyroid is underactive.

Just throwing that out there, since thyroid can soon become confusing with the whole "Huh? I'm underactive, but my levels are high?"
  • mizlaur123
    Options
    Yea I put that together from all the research I've been doing trying to find the root of my problems since doctors are having such a hard time.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lots of help here: http://www.facebook.com/thyroidsexy Read some of the posts by others and check out the notes. I was able to get a lot of help there. Good luck!