husband stressing me over food

Options

Replies

• emilymnyc
    Options
    We always fear what we do not know.

In 2005 I was 250lbs, and my boyfriend at the time was also obese. He'd make fun of me, talk about how I spent too much time at the gym, and when I reached my goal weight he called me emaciated. Now 7 years later I'm only 15lbs above my goal weight and he is about 40lbs heavier than when we dated. He didn't get it.
    Now I'm not saying this is the case with your hubby. But of course change is scary for the people in our lives as well as us. Found out that my boyfriend was worried when I shed the weight, I'd shed him, too.

My fiancee has no weight problem, if anything he's underweight, but he gets it. He knows that while he can eat whatever he wants that I cannot and will not and even said "if you're that unhappy DO something about it."
    Maybe what your hubby needs is a sit down, with a firm "here's what I need" kinda talk.

Don't give up, no matter what---keep fighting--keep logging. You can do it!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think I would have had the same reaction as your husband if my hubby said that we were having salad for dinner.
    Consider this: men need more calories in a day than women.... especially meats, maybe just eating a salad for dinner will make him binge after dinner since the salad itself simply won't satiate him (no matter how much he eats of it). You can lose weight without eating salad for dinner and you probably won't want to eat salad for dinner forever (think lifestyle change).

When I lost weight (I'm pregnant now, so I'm going the other way and gaining), I wasn't eating salad for dinner with my 6ft tall boyfriend that has the build of a football player. It just wouldn't work. I tried to eat healthier earlier on in the day when I was at work and wasn't eating a meal with my man. I kept the salad for lunch. You can cook something healthy that will satisfy him as well for dinner. It just takes some negotiation. If he wants to add cheese, bacon and mayo to his chicken sandwich, let him, he may NEED those extra calories. You can keep your meal low-cal. If he wants the extra creamy dressing or sauce on the meal, let him add it, you can go without it.

My 6ft tall boyfriend and I certainly don't eat the same...but we share meals.... just each of our meals are different in portion size or have modified ingredients. Compromise is key for BOTH OF YOU.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that hubby is not being helpful... or rather.. being very unhelpful.

Is he perhaps afraid that when you loose the weight, you will be too attractive for him? That he worries that you will be so much more attractive to more other men? I know it is silly, but this is men we are talking about :D.

Good for you for sticking to your guns, and depending on what kind of man he is/relationship you two have, find a way to tell him you are doing this to stay healthy so you can enjoy a longer life with HIM, not anything else.
    Not sure he'd believe you but if you tell him often enough, maybe it will seep into that brain...?

Hang in there - all of you with hubbies like that!!

Yup - agree with this- this is my fiancee to a T....your gonna leave me for a younger fitter guy you lose all this weight! lol he already is 5 years my junior....young enough I should think lol trying to get him to understand that to be healthy, happy and do more things easier together we need to lose some weight bottom line....he trys but like us all falls off the wagon after a couple weeks....losing and gaining the same 15lbs :(......
    .keep going on without him ...let him know you love him and sooner or later I am sure he will join you! :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You are a fully formed individual.

You can control the parts of your life that you want to control.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    This is purely hypothetical (as my husband is lucky to find the effing kitchen), but if I asked my spouse what was for dinner and he said "I'm having salad" I'd be a little put off too.

Agreed. Just because I'm eating differently doesn't mean I can blow off fixing food for my family, which includes my husband. If he asks me, "What's for dinner?" and I plan on having a salad, I'd say "I'm having a salad, but I'm making spaghetti for y'all". (example)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    If it's your turn to cook, then cook something for him, too. If it's his turn, don't complain about what he made. It's your choice to eat it. Two way street. I'm assuming he works, as well. It may be you need to have an afternoon snack and a late dinner.

Surely there is a way for 2 adults to live in the same house and not argue about food, of all things, which I think should be a time of enjoyment and catching up on each other's week.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    This is purely hypothetical (as my husband is lucky to find the effing kitchen), but if I asked my spouse what was for dinner and he said "I'm having salad" I'd be a little put off too.

Agreed. Just because I'm eating differently doesn't mean I can blow off fixing food for my family, which includes my husband. If he asks me, "What's for dinner?" and I plan on having a salad, I'd say "I'm having a salad, but I'm making spaghetti for y'all". (example)

My family doesn't have fixed mealtimes--everyone eats when they are hungry. There are times my husband will say 'Are you fixing something for dinner?' If I am planning to eat light, I will tell him that, but I give him a few quick-to-fix options which I know will satisfy him. He is capable of cooking for himself, but I have no problem fixing him something because he is very appreciative. It makes me feel good that he enjoys my food. Now, my kids (ages 17 and 20) are another story...they are really picky and like a lot of prepared foods. Since there are very few things in my cooking repertoire they like, I refuse to torture them with my food.

Edit: Except for a few rich homemade dishes, that I need to be careful not to eat too often, since they tempt me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've got a very simple answer....He's a grown adult, so.....he either eats what you've made or he fends for himself! If he wants to eat crap, then so be it! :smile:

This is how I am with my hubby. He generally eats what I put in front of him just because he doesn't want to fix anything himself. If he doesn't like it, he'll throw it out and fix himself a bowl of cereal or PB&J.
  • yoovie
    Options
    marriage-101-marriage-ruin-toilet-time-poop-demotivational-posters-1343768094.jpg
  • yoovie
    Options
    just replace she with he
  • bgrmystr
    bgrmystr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey .. I'm new to the group, but I thought I would give an opinion about the stubborn husband. My experience is that of the stubborn husband. My wife has been working on losing weight and eating healthier for quite some time. I, on the other hand, have always enjoyed my fattening foods and would make faces at anything that even sounds healthy.

Until I was ready, I would not consider changing how I eat. After reaching a new all time high for my body weight, I finally decided I needed to lose weight so I would not end up as a heart attack victim at the dinner table. My problem, like many guys is that the word "diet" has horrible mental images. I would gain weight every time I start a diet, because I always crave what I cannot have. Each person has to be able to make the decision to be healthier when they are ready, and at their terms (unless a Dr is involved, but that's a different story).

Specifically for me, the only way I have been successful in losing weight, is to eat breakfast (cereal and milk), have a basically normal lunch (working on improvements), and then a light supper. I then exercise after work in the evenings. That will probably not work for most people, but it works for me.

Unfortunately, when one person in a marriage is mentally and emotionally ready to improve themselves and have a healthier lifestyle, it doesn't always mean that the spouse or even the children are in agreement. Your husband is capable of making choices for himself. Until HE is ready, the subject of dieting may stay a sore spot between you. What my wife ended up doing was making a "normal" supper at night for me and the children, and something separate for her. We would still eat together as a family, but the topic of food never became a fight that way. Over time, she would introduce healthier items such as brown rice or wheat instead of white bread based products.

My input, for what it's worth, is to stick to your personal goals and do not let anyone sway you. You have to wear your skin and work on being a healthier YOU. Meals for your husband can be negotiated until he is onboard.

Just remember, what works for you may not work for him. It's all about communication.
  • bgrmystr
    bgrmystr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OH .. I'm Henry by the way ...
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you're that busy, you shouldn't have to do anything! Especially not for him! Where's the equality?

If he would get pissed about that, I would say 'either learn to do it yourself, or get off my back.'
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's been hard making meals for hubby and I both but I work it in and load up on the veggies myself..
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You work full time and make all the meals?

You are getting rooked.

I guess just adjust recipes that can be scaled.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice and support. It meant alot to be able to see that it will be okay. I will just have to sit down with him and come up with a plan for the nights i am not doing a meal. I thought about it alot last night and i think he will always take the easy way out and be inconsistent. ( its a pattern ive seen too long). He made a comment once that he liked me better when i was fat. ( because he didnt have the energy i did to go do things etc and i rarely spend time on the couch anymore). He is about 360 and diabetic but i just refuse to make his health my priority any longer. So, going forward i will be quiet to him regarding his choices and live and enjoy mine.

Thanks again so much :)

By jove you've got it!

The thing to remember is that we can't change other people. If you want to change what YOU"RE eating for dinner, there are ways to do that and make it easier. Prepare in advance so it just needs a quick heat up and such. But if you like having a salad for dinner, then that's what you should have. If you want to help him and he wants the help (two very important ifs to consider before continuing), you can ask him what he wants to have available to make for himself. Then have easy stuff that's a little healthier that's easy for him to fix. But he has to want to do it. Not want you to do it for him.

Keep up the great work and know that you're on the right track!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    My husband is fit, but he doesn't watch what he eats. It drove me nuts when he would cook something I couldn't eat. My solution? I cut up all my veggies on Sunday, put them in baggies in the fridge or freeze the ones that can be frozen and mark the recipes out of my Atkins cookbook that we are having for dinner that week. I also have the menu on the calendar, so he can see what we're having and go to the page and make it if he wants to start it. He works 24 hrs on, 48 hrs off, so he is home a lot of week days and get dinner going for when I get home. It works for us and he doesn't have to do a lot of chopping, ect and he KNOWS what we're having.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When I arrived home last night my wife was at the gym. I had a recipe to follow and instructions to have it ready by 7:15. Usually she cooks and I wash the dishes. Last night I did both. I was glad to do it. And it was yummy.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Pre-making meals for the week can also be a good option. You can spend a couple hours on Sunday (or whatever) and prepare some meals & portion them out for the week. For you and for your hubby. You can have them in the fridge ready to go or even freeze some. You can make healthy (or not) casseroles and things like that to keep in the freezer for hubby for the times you get home late, etc. That way, he always has something to grab regardless of what and when you eat.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    Just keep at it. When I first started this and told my husband "this is the last soda I am going to have" he was like"ok, sure...we'll see" and he wasn't willing to buy me a $10 workout dvd, he did anyway, but I could tell he wasn't happy about it. A few days in, he saw that there were still two sodas left in the fridge, that I actually had not drunk them.....he saw that I actually was working out as I said I would, and now he supports me. Asks me what I will and won't eat, has given up soda(so far) with me, and is eating more fruit. He lets me spend my extra money on healthy foods and we eat dinner at home now instead of fast food. He eats what I prepare minus the veggies (I can't get him to eat more of those). Just stick with it and let him do his own thing. If my hubby chooses to eat fast food for lunch, that's on him. I am here at home happily stuffing my face with veggies and water.
    If he gets home before you I am sure he can make his own dinner...I am a stay at home mom so I make dinner for all of us, but it is healthy enough.