Out of Money for the week & Grocery Shopping?

Options
How do you plan for your meals? As far as grocery shopping goes. Do you allot so much to go once a week and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies? I've consumed all of the fresh fruits and veggies in the house for the week- and have to wait until Monday to get a paycheck. Last night I just ate canned green beans. (yuck- i hate canned food). I do have lots of frozen veggies in can steam today. No big deal there.

So when you've planned poorly for a week- and run out of fresh fruits and veggies/ anything healthy in general- what do YOU do?

Replies

• girlpersons
    Options
    I do just what you are doing. with my fresh, i stock up on frozen. once out of one, i hit the other. I have to get creative with the frozen, lots of spices.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i always have a stock of frozen veggies and use them when i run out :flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I go every couple days to a farmers market. It is cheap and I can get a loaf of fresh bread for $0.99 and some lettace, tomatoes, carrots, celery all for $5 or so and it is all fresh and yummy.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    If you have canned fruit, rinse the sugar off and you should be ok!
  • amandajo122
    Options
    Also eggs are very inexpensive and if you make egg whites and add a little cheese/veggies in, you can make it a dinner besides a breakfast meal.
  • kbglazier
    kbglazier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also eggs are very inexpensive and if you make egg whites and add a little cheese/veggies in, you can make it a dinner besides a breakfast meal.

I agree. I love 2 egg-egg salad. Put it on a piece of wheat toast or even some wheat thins (which I always keep in stock). As far as veggies go, since I am not a lover of frozen or canned, I usually supplement a multi-vitamin anyway, so when I run out of fresh veggies, I just skip them until I can get to the store.