Not discouraged, but not motivated- what is this?

Options
I am watching my diet (I do sometimes go over my calorie goals,but not often). I am walking a mile per day on days I am not doing C25K. I do W6D3 tonight, so I have been C25K for nearly seven weeks. I will walk my other path today for a 3/4 mile walk.

I am being faithful to my plans to lose weight. I am not discouraged at all. However, I am not motivated either. Don't get me wrong, I am still doing all the right things with diet and exercise, but I am not getting the thrill I used to at the prospect of losing weight.

I have no plans to quit- I will lose this weight, and I know it is a journey. I don't even need any encouragement, because this is just a part of my life now.

So what is up? What is this state I am in if I am feeling this way?

Does this post even make any sense?

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. You have a goal in mind and feel like your coasting to it, no longer excited. I get the same way sometimes, its probably just the result of repitition. Whenever it happens to me I always try switching my training routine and try something different that I can get excited about. However, sometimes consistency is boring but effective!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've read, been told, and watched people doing well but losing their motivation. One thing stood out for each and every one. . . . a stagnant routine. since your routine for C25K are so consistent, can you change it up a little? Do a different strength routine,take a different direction for your walking, try some tai chi for a change. Just one day difference can change the motivation.

The other thought i perhaps it is now a part of your daily life, a habit you will not change.

Hang in there tomorrow is another day and a new outlook.!
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. You have a goal in mind and feel like your coasting to it, no longer excited. I get the same way sometimes, its probably just the result of repitition. Whenever it happens to me I always try switching my training routine and try something different that I can get excited about. However, sometimes consistency is boring but effective!

^ This. I think it's the repetition. I'm kind of in the same place right now. I'm going to start biking but it is going to be another couple of weeks before I get a bike. Running has helped, but I am really struggling through this round of Insanity because it just gets boring.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Apathy.

In my case, I'm the lightest I've ever been, I'm bored of my routine and I'm just feeling tired and burned out overall. It lasts for a few days and then I'm suddenly invigorated again.

Maybe try a new routine?
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread not the usual I can be arsed so please motivate me thing.

Just a thought but is it worth throwing something in your exercise routine like a competitive sport or goal.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, this ^^^. It's kind of like, "Meh, let's do it again today."

But I've come too far to quit.

I think one thing is I lost just .2 pounds as of my last weigh in, and I am going to stick it out and make sure I lose this tire around my neck and waist.

Superpapa's ticker says it all, by the way.
  • 30forApril
    30forApril Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think this is how I feel. hmm.. I guess I discourage myself when I feel unmotivated... but seeing that others go through this cycle of still wanting to lose the weight, not wanting to give up, but just feeling like,,, "eh..." makes me see that it's normal... I think that I confuse being unmotivated with not caring or not wanting it bad enough, and in turn discourage myself by self defeating and self sabotaging...
  • Silverwinged78
    Options
    You may also want to consider that being healthy is more than dieting or losing weight. For instance, once you reach your weight goal what will keep you "motivated" to keep it up and stay healthy? The ultimate goal should be to make fitness and good health a natural part of your life, like eating is. Eventually it will feel weird not to exercise or eat healthy if you're truly committed for yourself. I see it as a good thing that you have already reached a point where your routine has become a part of your life. It's unfortunate that our culture has promoted dieting as a quick fix whenever you need it. You're obviously committed to a healthy life so I say keep it up!
  • HiraAyub
    Options
    Of Course dear your post do make a lot Sense! i am exactly in the same situation you are..am not motivated the way i should..i do not experience the thrill and excitment i should have lossing my weight..either am not at all disappointed or discouraged..!! This mostly happen when you are fed up of a routine; do try some new excersise, a new gym infact..have a change diet plan and add some extra sweetness to your taste, it will really help boosting your mood:)..
  • 30forApril
    30forApril Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @Silverwing... wow, you're right. I am taking that to heart. Thank you.
  • melaniekeaton
    Options
    I agree Silverwing...thanks for sharing that..
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just get bored and burnt out. Try maybe switching it up? trying something new, or adding to your routine?
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You may also want to consider that being healthy is more than dieting or losing weight. For instance, once you reach your weight goal what will keep you "motivated" to keep it up and stay healthy? The ultimate goal should be to make fitness and good health a natural part of your life, like eating is. Eventually it will feel weird not to exercise or eat healthy if you're truly committed for yourself. I see it as a good thing that you have already reached a point where your routine has become a part of your life. It's unfortunate that our culture has promoted dieting as a quick fix whenever you need it. You're obviously committed to a healthy life so I say keep it up!

#Truth. This something that those of us who are just beginning on our fitness journer must keep reminding ourselves. It's not just about pounds and inches. It's about being healthier. If we do not make this our end goal we'll hit our goal numbers and then run the risk of falling into old patterns.