Training for a marathon

Options
I have just started running within the last week. I have become addicted to it although I can not run very far right now and walk more than I run. But everyday I try to run a little more than the day before. I am signed up for a 5K in one month from today that I am very excited about, even if I can't run the whole thing yet. I am also going to sign up for a marathon in April.

I am wondering if 8 months is enough time to train for a full marathon or should I stick with a half? I will be satisfied with a half, but I REALLY want to run a whole marathon.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. And if you have ever run a marathon, feel free to add me as a friend. I will need all the motivation I can get!

Replies

• tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Kay,

I would stick to a half-marathon. You have a reasonable amount of time to get yourself running at that level. When I started running before (8-9 years ago) I did C25K in the Summer & Fall, some 5Ks and a 10K and did three half-marathons the following year. It's very easy when you first start running to injure yourself by increasing mileage too much too fast. Are you thinking about doing the Country Music Marathon? I did it in 2005 and it's late enough in April that it can be really hot. Also, Nashville is pretty darn hilly so it's not the easiest first to do.

Are you following a particular program to start running doing it on your own? As a general rule you shouldn't increase your mileage more than 10% a week.

Hope this helps!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the half. That really isn't a lot of time to go from nothing to the marathon. I (and many others with better credentials than I have) suggest not starting a training program for a marathon until you have been running for at least a year and are running 20 to 25 miles a week. The half will be a huge challenge for you that will be very rewarding for you when you complete it.
  • kayrevan
    kayrevan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Kay,

I would stick to a half-marathon. You have a reasonable amount of time to get yourself running at that level. When I started running before (8-9 years ago) I did C25K in the Summer & Fall, some 5Ks and a 10K and did three half-marathons the following year. It's very easy when you first start running to injure yourself by increasing mileage too much too fast. Are you thinking about doing the Country Music Marathon? I did it in 2005 and it's late enough in April that it can be really hot. Also, Nashville is pretty darn hilly so it's not the easiest first to do.

Are you following a particular program to start running doing it on your own? As a general rule you shouldn't increase your mileage more than 10% a week.

Hope this helps!

I am planning to do the music city marathon. Thank you for the advice. I am not following a program. I was walking 4 to 5 miles a day and just decided that I wanted to run. So I run for as long as I feel like I can and then stop and walk until I catch my breath again and repeat the process. I signed up for a 5K just to give me a goal to work toward even if I can't run 3 miles nonstop before then.
  • kayrevan
    Options
    I would stick with the half. That really isn't a lot of time to go from nothing to the marathon. I (and many others with better credentials than I have) suggest not starting a training program for a marathon until you have been running for at least a year and are running 20 to 25 miles a week. The half will be a huge challenge for you that will be very rewarding for you when you complete it.

Thank you! Right now I am looking forward to running a whole mile without stopping, which will be a huge accomplishment for me. I just did not know how to start training for a marathon and an average time it takes to get ready. I know everyone is different but I was just hoping for some general idea!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a slightly less ambitious goal this early in your running career.

People have done it but I'm a firm believer in finishing every day injury free and to get to marathon training mileage in this short a time sounds like an injury waiting to happen to me. The progression I followed was from 5K to 10K to half-marathon (running my 4th on Sept 23rd). I've been running for almost 5 years and am now just starting to think seriously about a full marathon next year (but I also only started running in my 50s - you have youth on your side so you could probably progress more quickly than I did)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    8 mos isn't nearly enough time to prepare for a marathon, especially trying to go from 0 to 100 in that 8 mos. A marathon is a lot of wear and tear on your body. Do the 5K, but I wouldn't even consider a marathon until you can complete a 10K (at the very least) without stopping. If you have to stop during a 1/2 marathon, I wouldn't consider that being ready either.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Its very easy to get addicted to running. Its also very easy to get injured or burnt out.

I started running in April. Like you I was walking a lot before I started running. It took me almost a full month before I ran my first non stop mile. The first mile was the hardest part. I now run 20-25 miles per week with my long run thus far at 8 miles. I have done 2 5K's, am signed up for a 10K this weekend, then 8 miler in September, a few short ones in October, and *plan* for a half marathon in November. I honestly dont think it would be possible for me to even begin to think about marathon training yet!

First of all, training for a half takes a fair amount of time per week (and Im also planning my wedding which takes time too argh), and I would assume training for a full will take more than 2ce as much time.

Secondly, for me, I want to see how the half goes before committing to a full. I may LOVE running these shorter distances...but may absolutely HATE 13.1 miles. And if I hate a half, i would probably hate a full lol.

I hate to be such a downer, but try to be realistic and stay injury free. Get fitted for proper shoes, do some research on training plans, and see how you like it. And look for a running partner. Ive been doing this with my fiance and it definitely helps having someone to run with you... aka make you do it when you feel like sitting on the couch eating ice cream :)

P.S. When I started running, and did my first non stop mile, I told my mom that I wanted to run a half marathon before the wedding. She told me pretty much what we are all trying to tell you: take it slow and see if you like it. If you do like it, make a commitment, and give it your best try. Of course, she thought I would give up after the first 5k. She's amazed at how much I do now.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have actually been running for about 7 months, so I can tell you that most likely you would not be ready for a full marathon in 8 months. I am doing a half in about 6 weeks. That is a reasonable goal! I am up to 10 miles now, running generally 18 miles per week or more (prob 21 this week). I agree you need to be up to 20-25 miles per week consistently for quite a while before you tackle a marathon. I NEVER thought I would be running a half this soon!

You would definitely be setting yourself up for injuries!
  • amandask66
    amandask66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would do the half. 8 months isn't really enough time for a full. I had been running for 2 years and done 3 half marathons before I attempted a full. It's easy to get addicted and over estimate what you can do. Your body will respond much better and you will enjoy it alot more if you take it slow and enjoy the milestones along the way.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump for later. :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I woke up one day and decided to join a marathon training group (through USA Fit). Training started in July and the marathon was in January. I had no prior running experience, but had begun walking a lot. I think you should join a group or at least look at the USA Fit training schedule and follow something like that. Even if you train for the full, but don't think you're ready come race day, you can switch to the half.

Good luck to you!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I woke up one day and decided to join a marathon training group (through USA Fit). Training started in July and the marathon was in January. I had no prior running experience, but had begun walking a lot. I think you should join a group or at least look at the USA Fit training schedule and follow something like that. Even if you train for the full, but don't think you're ready come race day, you can switch to the half.

Good luck to you!

Be careful here. Not every race has a 1/2. The Twin Cities has a 10 miler, but no way you're switching on race day becasue those are winners of an entry lottery.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Be careful here. Not every race has a 1/2. The Twin Cities has a 10 miler, but no way you're switching on race day becasue those are winners of an entry lottery.

True. Check on that when registering.
  • kayrevan
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I will research the things you all have mentioned. I am definitely taking it slow and trying my best not to get injured!