Working on your fitness at your work desk?

Options
2»

Replies

• Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • fishingwoman
    fishingwoman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdub660
    jdub660 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great ideas! Thanks guys!
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    here is a whole list of ones. I have it taped next to my computer screen :laugh:

Deskercise Invisible Exercises
    Muscles can get a workout even without much movement. It's called "isometric" exercise, and it's a godsend in today's push-button society. Here are a few super-subtle moves that you can do whether you're sitting on a bus or sending a fax. No one will suspect a thing!
    • Inner-Thigh Squeeze: While sitting, place a tennis ball or your fist between your knees and squeeze your thighs together for 5 to 10 seconds. Feel the tension in your inner thighs!
    • Bun Lifter: Squeeze your buttocks muscles for 5 seconds — it's equal to one squat! A super move for your rear view!
    • Tummy Tightener: Pull in your tummy, tense and tighten up your ab muscles; hold for 10 seconds. That's equal to one sit-up!
    • Seated Ab Firmer: Sit up tall and place your hands on your thighs. Tighten abs as you press your hands against your thighs and pull your knees in toward your chest. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, then release.
    • Triceps Toner: Stand with your arms by your sides, palms facing behind you. Keeping your arms straight, gently pulse your arms backward for 5 seconds then release. This is a great isometric exercise for the back of your arms — I do it while waiting in line at the grocery store!
    • Arm Shaper: Lay your left hand on top of your right in front of you, palms together. Lift upward with your right arm while using your left arm to create resistance. Feel your right arm strengthening. Hold this flex for 5 seconds. Switch arms and repeat. Do twice on each side.
    • Chest Firmer: Work your "pecs," or chest muscles, by putting your palms together in prayer position, then pressing your hands together for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat twice.
    • Posture Perfecter: You can do this one while you're standing or sitting. Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, forearms parallel to the floor. Squeeze your shoulder blades down and together as you gently press your elbows back; this is a very subtle movement. Hold for five seconds, then release.

Thanks! Much appreciated!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    A company called Relaxus (which you can find online) has a contraption that you put on your desk chair that works just like a big ball thing. It's like a UFO shaped thing filled with air. I'm not allowed to sit on a ball at work because of our ridiculous health and safety rules, but i'm allowed to sit on that thing! I forget what it's called, really, but it probably wouldn't take long to find it, and it was under $30.

I really need to look into this bike pedal thing though.
  • kristi012173
    Options
    bump
  • amyb0807
    amyb0807 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump - really great ideas!
  • kraewalker
    kraewalker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    here is a whole list of ones. I have it taped next to my computer screen :laugh:

Deskercise Invisible Exercises
    Muscles can get a workout even without much movement. It's called "isometric" exercise, and it's a godsend in today's push-button society. Here are a few super-subtle moves that you can do whether you're sitting on a bus or sending a fax. No one will suspect a thing!
    • Inner-Thigh Squeeze: While sitting, place a tennis ball or your fist between your knees and squeeze your thighs together for 5 to 10 seconds. Feel the tension in your inner thighs!
    • Bun Lifter: Squeeze your buttocks muscles for 5 seconds — it's equal to one squat! A super move for your rear view!
    • Tummy Tightener: Pull in your tummy, tense and tighten up your ab muscles; hold for 10 seconds. That's equal to one sit-up!
    • Seated Ab Firmer: Sit up tall and place your hands on your thighs. Tighten abs as you press your hands against your thighs and pull your knees in toward your chest. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, then release.
    • Triceps Toner: Stand with your arms by your sides, palms facing behind you. Keeping your arms straight, gently pulse your arms backward for 5 seconds then release. This is a great isometric exercise for the back of your arms — I do it while waiting in line at the grocery store!
    • Arm Shaper: Lay your left hand on top of your right in front of you, palms together. Lift upward with your right arm while using your left arm to create resistance. Feel your right arm strengthening. Hold this flex for 5 seconds. Switch arms and repeat. Do twice on each side.
    • Chest Firmer: Work your "pecs," or chest muscles, by putting your palms together in prayer position, then pressing your hands together for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat twice.
    • Posture Perfecter: You can do this one while you're standing or sitting. Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, forearms parallel to the floor. Squeeze your shoulder blades down and together as you gently press your elbows back; this is a very subtle movement. Hold for five seconds, then release.

This is going over my desk! I use a yoga ball as my chair at work so I can roll back and do crunches occasionally.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    The only fitness workout I do at my desk is kegel exercises. Does that count?
    This is a great question though, I spend way too much time on my desk
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    chair dance
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    use dumbbells while your on desk make some repetitions with your as one to the other also with your legs and do some push ups and curl ups while holding dumbbells http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Get a standing desk. I do squats while I'm working.

Still bummed the treadmill desk was deemed too loud. :(