Do you find that you are really hungry right before your per

Options
2»

Replies

• slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    It usually lasts one day for me. I eat everything in sight. Salts, sweets, wine, you name it.
    Then I wonder why I'm retaining so much h2o!
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    The cravings and hunger are apparently due to low blood sugar during that time. I find that diligently eating a bit of lean protein at least every three hours helps a great deal.

Carrots are great to help with the need for something to crunch on.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This is usually my downfall every month. I feel like I can't stop eating and am completely ravenous for everything. I had this wonderful feeling this morning. I felt like I could eat everything in the fridge.

I ate my cereal and almond milk ( a little more than usual) I was back at the fridge within 5 minutes. I ate my slice of dominos pizza intended for lunch.
    Back at the fridge again uggh I ate a piece of imitation crabmeat (45 calories) ,I decided that I was going to ruin my whole day if I didn't stop.
    So I heated up a cup of beef broth (only 30 calories for the whole can) and then ate 7 pickle slices (5 calories). Sounds like a crazy weird breakfast I know, but I am so thankful I had these things in the fridge or I would have probably inhaled a whole box of macaroni and cheese too without thinking twice.

Although I could have just kept eating and gorging I took a nap.
    I work nights so I am always tired anyway.

I ate my turkey and cheese with crackers as my lunch.

It worked! I am now cooking dinner and will still be at my calories for the day and I still have my salad left from lunch to eat too!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I can eat like a pregnant woman on a mission.

I can be vegetarian all month long, but when that time comes, I'll kill for a cheeseburger. Well, maybe not kill. But I'll hurt someone if neccessary. My doc said its because my iron drops so low at that time.

I crave salt, then sweet, then salt, then sweet.... Its a never ending cycle. I also crave Pepsi.

I once ate an ENTIRE bag of Lindor Chocolate Truffles. Thats about a million calories. :noway:

Several years ago, my ex bought me a bag of Hershey kisses to keep on the night stand because I apparently became violent when I woke him up and told him to get me chocolate and he said no. I don't even remember it, but he had a slight black eye in the morning to prove it. Oops.:blushing:
  • ammattin308
    Options
    All te time. I could eat any and everything sweet and fattening. I have a hard time that week.
  • alanismanson
    Options
    Yep. I usually crave alot of red meat and chocolate at that time. It can be awful. lol
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's terrible!!! I will eat everything I can. It's very hard to stay focused on your goals when you have a headache, a chocolate craving, a salt craving, and are already bloated to begin with.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    YEP. The week before is terrible.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely! Its horrible! However I've read somewhere that u burn an extra 300 cals a day during that time... To bad I eat at least 700 more ha ha!
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    happens all the time to me so instead of eating loads i eat 6 small meals a day to combat hunger and of course low fat and low calorie and i have lost 2lbs as a result :flowerforyou:
  • Mojo_34
    Mojo_34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drink water or fill myself with low cal food... trick your mind :)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    yep. i walk around with a bag of baby carrotts. they seem to help. although, nothing helps like chocolate, unfortunately.

I always crave chocolate in the days leading up to it - and I just indulge in a small bag of peanut M&Ms and get it over with - I allot myself 10 pieces and decide that will just have to satisfy the craving for the day. I figure if I eat the peanut variety, at least there is some redeeming protein and healthy fats (although not much).
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drink water or fill myself with low cal food... trick your mind :)

lol..... ummmm I don't know what to say? Thanks... I guess... I am glad this works for you during your time :laugh:
  • kitty608
    kitty608 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!! I munch and munch for like three days before. It's crazy. It's not like I'm hungry, I just want to snack continuously.
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    Absolutely! I struggle with this every month. I did some searching around on the internet awhile back to see what I could do to make it better and have found lists of foods that help combat the PMS cravings and symptoms for that matter. They say to eat every 3 hours in small portions and for those snacks/meals to include complex carbs and B6 foods. Some complex carbs are: oats, corn, yams, peas, beans, lentils, carrots, pasta, brown rice, potatoes, root vegetables, pita bread, whole grain cereals. Some B6 foods are: spinach, banana, red and green peppers, peanuts, cashews, potatoes, and bacon. You want to reduce your caffeine, refined sugar, and sodium intake at this time as those also lead to cravings. Drink lots and lots of water. It's also a good idea to get lots of exercise in at that time too (eventhough you might not feel like it)... plus it keeps you far away from the fridge :)

I found that concentrating on trying to stick to the recommendations also keeps my brain busy and keeps the cravings from being there are often. Let me know if you have any questions!

Adrienne

Great tips gonna follow that next time i feel the need to crave such foods thanks :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm torn between "fight this for a few days every single month" or "allow myself to eat more (which is junk) this time of month". I absolutely know what you guys are saying- it seems like there is no choice at all to eat something even remotely healthy- that just won't cut it!

So, what to do? Keep fighting it and be miserable? Or, be miserable because the scale is moving in the wrong direction? :sad:
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I can eat a horse the week before. I realy try to plan healthy meals around that time because I have no control otherwise.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! And Yes!!!! I eat everything in sight, I would eat the kitchen sink if it wasn't nailed down!!! I really dislike the week b4 my period!