Running advice!

I have only restarted running 2 weeks ago and am LOVING IT!! The problem is that my calves really really hurt. I mean like after 3 mins of running it starts hurting and just increases drastically until i have to stop. I do warm up and i do stretch before and after, any suggestions?

Replies

• kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Scale back for the moment, take more rest days. Stretch a few times during the day. Cross training on rest days can help by getting your muscles warm and stretching them out. It could be beneficial to use a roller, if you really feel like it. It just sounds like muscle soreness, your muscles are still adjusting to the new exercise.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I would suggest keeping your runs short and frequent with rest in between... starting slow and gradually increasing distance. When you're just starting out it's almost impossible to increase distance by the recommended no-more-than-10% rule.

Ice them after running. Try compression socks. Elevate them and rest after. Start with just a few km at a time.

Do you land on your toes? How's your foot strike?
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    It sounds like you might be running too much on your toes/front of your foot -- that can cause bad calf pain. Have you ever been fitted for shoes by people who can evaluate your running stance/stride/etc?
  • I would suggest keeping your runs short and frequent with rest in between... starting slow and gradually increasing distance. When you're just starting out it's almost impossible to increase distance by the recommended no-more-than-10% rule.

Ice them after running. Try compression socks. Elevate them and rest after. Start with just a few km at a time.

Do you land on your toes? How's your foot strike?
    I tend to run quite flat footed! Pretty sure i stomp too much!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Here's a great little animation that shows good running form/foot strike.
    http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    I just recovered from shin splints and it took me 2 weeks rest in order to get rid of the pain. I have definately learned that rest days are a MUST and not to overload too fast!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Have you been properly fitted for the running shoes right for your feet and gait? If not, I highly recommend you go to a reputable running store and get fitted. These stores are usually not in the mall. I can't express enough the importance of the right shoes.

You'll be asked to try on several pairs and jog in each. The salesperson will analyze your gait and offer advice on the correct shoe for you.

While you're there, get good wick away socks. I prefer Zulu, but there are many from which to choose.

You might also consider buying The Stick while you're there. If money is a problem at the moment, use a rolling pin if you have one. Very gently take it up and down your calves (and anywhere else you're sore).

Hydrate and enjoy some protein after your run. Chocolate milk is a good choice.

Good luck.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Shoes make a big difference also...Maybe time for a new pair, with cushion and support for all the running that you are doing. Good luck to you.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    I would definitely work on your stride. I did the whole "heel to toe" thing when I started and had the WORST shin splints. I started focusing on landing more on my toes plus got fitted for proper running shoes and have only had shin pain once since then and I think I'm overdoing it.

You are supposed to land more on your toes, but softly...it is a hard stride to get used to at first, but now it isn't too bad.
  • Thanks for all your advice, i have read alot about proper fitted running shoes, have no idea where you get them from in uk though? i dont know where in the uk fits them....anyone??
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    I started the C25k program a few weeks ago, and am HOOKED on running! No one is more shocked about that than I am! :)

I googled proper running form and there is a ton of information available....as another poster mentioned, you could be landing on your toes. Information that I had read said that could cause calf pain. Heel strikes promote knee and shin injuries. I did some tweaking on my form based on information I had come across and find I have a bit more endurance, and less pain in my hip that I was getting at the beginning.

Good luck and happy running!!
  • bosslady69
    bosslady69 Posts: 11 Member
    Scale back for the moment, take more rest days. Stretch a few times during the day. Cross training on rest days can help by getting your muscles warm and stretching them out. It could be beneficial to use a roller, if you really feel like it. It just sounds like muscle soreness, your muscles are still adjusting to the new exercise.
  • illgetthere145
    illgetthere145 Posts: 17 Member
    That happens to me if I am not hydrated enough. I always have to make sure that I drink alot on days that I run or my leg muscles feel terrible.