In the fighting ring today 'Shift pattern versus The diet'

Options
Working shifts are such a diet killer!

I dont know about you .......but i find working irregular shift patterns makes for very irregular meal times! My breaks are often short and i have limited facilities to cook up a satisfying dinner.... a microwave and a kettle on a 20min break is hardly inspiring!

So as you probably guessed, this week im finding my new job more hard during the break than during the shift!!

Its so time consuming figuring out in advance what to take to work, what to make prior to work and what can actually be made at work! ....and also hard in the way that if you dont make something for work, you end up rushing to the shop where you spend far to long trying to opt for a healthy option (and it costs an arm and a leg!)

So far, i am living on last nights leftovers, soup and 'good for you' pot noodle type pots....I just hope that soon i grasp the knack of what grub makes for a good shift meal.

Any one with some pointers, comment away :D

xxx

Replies

• mayhem1969
    mayhem1969 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You might try cooking in bulk. Making a week's worth of meals in your free time or on your off days that you can freeze or store for work. Put them in separate containers. When you don't have time to plan a meal, grab one out of the freezer and take it with you. By meal time, it most likely has defrosted. A quick heat in the microwave is all it takes.
  • pea26
    pea26 Posts: 23
    Options
    Sadly im stuck with a small fridge freezer so such limited space :( ...Im thinking come pay day my first investment will be a freezer and some tupperware pots!! :D Thank you for the suggestion, tis a very good plan xx
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I used to do that! It's hard.

Sounds silly - but usually when I return from the store I'll cut up my celery right away or divide my salad packages into rubbermade containers right away so I can just grab if I'm running late. I also divide any snacks or cheese into snack bags as well. Just grab and go. I keep nuts with me or trail mix for breaks when I'm not super hungry but in need of a little energy. Yogurt too!

Leftovers aren't a bad idea either if you like that. Me, I'm not particular on left overs, but soup is a great option! I try to make my own but sometimes keeping a can of tomato or something helps too. If you don't have access to a fridge or freezer, Healthy Choice came out with some new ones that don't need to be refrigerated. I think they're usually found in the soup/rice isles and are usually less than $3 a package.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Bring snack sized things as well. Do you have a kitchenette at your work? Bring peanut butter and thomas 100 cal english muffins. On a break eat a peice of fruit and a muffin with 1tbs of pb. Also, vegetable steamer bags are great in the microwave, keep some parmesan cheese (reduced fat, kraft) in the kitchenette too to sprinkle on the steamer veggies.
  • VCesarano
    VCesarano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with mayhem1969. Planning ahead is your best option, even if you had a fully stocked and functional kitchen at work. My old job had that and people still overate and overspent on lunch with a full hour to use. The key is to make smart choices and smaller portions of not so smart choices. Pack almonds, if you like them and are not allergic. They're an excellent source of protein and very convenient. Pack a sandwich using "whole" wheat bread and a snack like fruit, baked chips, or yogart. Oatmeal is another quick smart choice, just watch the ones that contain a lot of sugar. Enjoy your break and enjoy your meal. If not, you might feel the need to reward yourself with food later. Good Luck.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Its not very nutrictious but I like those single servings of kraft dinner. They're not great for you but they are quick, easy and not nearly as many cals as mr noodle.
  • pea26
    pea26 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your pointers! I especially like the idea of little grab snack bags, esp in at my work i could see that working, and it doesnt require much thought then, just up in the morning ....open the cupboard and GRAB hehe. Im going to give it a try with my next shop.
    xxx
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I always like to have boiled eggs ready to go. There's been a lot if times I didn't feel like cooking so I brought 3 boiled eggs( i eat two of the whites and 1 whole) and minute brown rice in the cup you just pop in the microwave for 1 minute.