Healthy Movie Snacks

Options
I am going to the movies tonight with a friend and although I want to indulge in salty, buttery popcorn, candy, and soda I know there has to be some healthier alternatives. Does anyone have any suggestions on a movie snack (preferably something sweet), possibly even something I can slip into my friend's purse and sneak in? I want something that won't break the caloric bank. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    At the theatre, healthy snacks are lacking! I believe licorice is low cal but lots of sugar there....can you smuggle in some grapes or cherries? Then at least you will feel like you are (almost, maybe) eating a popcorn-like substance (I mean, the size and shape). Or, what about Popchips or something?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I just factor unbuttered popcorn into my macros personally...
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just factor unbuttered popcorn into my macros personally...

Ditto.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    not sure if protein bars woudl work, those with lower sugar cut into small pieces? although they may get too sticky:)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would make a bag of trail mix with raisins, almonds and chocolate chips.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Same here, I just ask for the small popcorn. NO butter and NO salt and just add it into my food log here.

I do take a bottle of water so I don't drink soda (or pay 3.00 for a tiny bottle of water). I usually take an apple too so i have something sweet for when the popcorn runs out.
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try some sneaking in some Skinny Pop. It is the best bagged popcorn I've ever had. Nothing artificial and only 135 calories for a 3.5 cup serving.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Lol, for me I either workout out real hard and/or skip the prior meal so I can eat whatever I want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have enough calories to get popcorn with butter. Otherwise, what's the point of going to the movies? (I do sneak in my own bottled water, though.)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I always bring my own snacks. Not just for health, I did it when I was chunky too, I'm just cheap.

Anyway the theater I go to is less than 10 min from my house. I dont know if you have the same luxury but I've brought string cheese,laughing cow wedges, yogurt and popped my own popcorn and brought it in before (I'll eat plain popcorn)

You can also bring fruit, nuts,pretzels, or if you want sweet you can bring a small portion of candy or a protein bar.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you're going to an AMC theater, they actually have a handful of healthy snacks that you can purchase there now.

But I find that if I just bring a bottle of water with me, I'm more than fine. It's two hours of my time, most all of which is spent being engaged in the previews or the movie that I'm there to see, so I don't even think about wanting food or something to snack on while I'm there.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I am going to the movies tonight with a friend and although I want to indulge in salty, buttery popcorn, candy, and soda I know there has to be some healthier alternatives. Does anyone have any suggestions on a movie snack (preferably something sweet), possibly even something I can slip into my friend's purse and sneak in? I want something that won't break the caloric bank. Thanks!!!!

if you are going to a movie, you are required to enjoy a large diet soda and popcorn. get it without butter, if you'd like. but you have to have the popcorn. otherwise, you might as well just stay home.
    :)

(the idea is that, I am assuming, going to the movies isn't a frequent thing. so enjoy yourself. it'll be ok.)
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Pop a bag of your own at home. Oraville makes a back of light popcorn that's like, 60 or 80 calories for the ENTIRE bag, and it's very good. Orville Redenbacher's - Gourmet Light - 50% Less Fat. I can't usually eat an entire bag, so cut it in 1/2 or 3/4.

Make your own iced tea brewed from leaves and add a sweetener. You can use pure cane suger in small amounts because it uses less processing or Truvia. It's an artificial sweetner not processed with chemicals like chlorine O.o like splenda.