eat fast and live longer

Options
Did anyone see the programme on BBC last night suggesting that having a couple of days a week of 300 to 700 calories intake was actually good for you. It suggetsed that the dreaded "starvation mode" that seems to be prevelant on this forum is not bad for you. It suggested that the body goes into "repair mode" and increases your vitality and well being.
It initially set out to prove that our diet has a great deal of control over our longevity, but incidently suggested that permanent weight loss would be a byproduct....

Replies

• whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US so I did not see it but I have been hearing multiple people talk about it. If anyone has a link to stream or download it online, please post. Much appreciated.
  • alertdieter
    Options
    Can you get the BBC i-player on BBC.co.uk/iplayer?
  • suziesue9
    suziesue9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, I saw the programme and it was fascinating, hope they do lots more research to prove it conclusively but for now its very tempting! Definately recommend watching it on the BBC iplayer.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Definitely one of the most interesting health documentaries I've seen lately -- it's generated lots of discussions and threads.

If you're not in the UK you can watch in on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_539056&feature=iv&list=PLEE0322D24FB93746&src_vid=fI0GizIbEak&v=pSh6Ot8d7bU#t=1m55s
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What they are refering to is a form of Intermittent Fasting. Done a couple of days per week, it would not trigger adaptive thermogenesis (aka starvation mode). FTR, for adaptive thermogenesis to be triggered it would take eating substantially below minimum recommended calories (1200 for women and 1800 for men) for an extended period or to eat no food for 72 hours or so. It's not something that is going to be triggered by a 1 day fast a couple times per week.