MEANNESS

Options
Does anyone else have the same problem with your family tell you that since you started working out that you are mean. They say that everytime I start working out I get mean. I dont mean to. I keep telling them that it is just my body adjusting to getting up earlier and not eating as much.

Replies

• tamlom
    tamlom Posts: 49
    Options
    Usually it's the opposite, if I'm working out. If I'm just dieting then yeah, I get meaner. But working out I get happier. :brokenheart:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :frown: I'm mean if I drop my calories too far. I don't get mean when I work out, but I guess if I dropped calories AND worked out, I'd be super b!tch. :noway:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just the opposite. As I feel better, I'm in a better mood.

Now if somethig jerks with my work out routine I get kind of perturbed.
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    DONT BUG ME WHILE IM WORKING OUT OR YOU WILL GET SNAPPED ON!!! LOL IT SUCKS TO DO-NOT FUN-IM ALL SWEATY- SO JUST LET ME GET IT DONE AND THEN TALK TO ME. HAHA...BUT NO, IF YOU MEAN BEING MEAN ALL DAY EVERYDAY-NOPE NOT ME.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    me too I am much nicer when I am working out.

Are you eating your exercise cals - if not you could be too low and that's how your body is reacting
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'm mean when I'm doing my workouts sometimes. My boyfriend will try to talk to me when I'm working my butt off and I'm trying to not die from my workouts. lol I don't want to think about anything but what I'm doing when it's hard work. But after and before I'm in a great mood most of the time.
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am not told I've gotten mean...instead my friends tell me I've gotten more into myself. Well I say to that...Hell yeah!!!! I am loving the new shape my body is taking and I am wearing things that are more form fitting and cute. I don't mean to be i guess cocky but it just comes out of me.
  • mayhem1969
    mayhem1969 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You may go through some initial crankiness if you recently started cutting calories, exercising, or changing your food choices. This is not unusual. Despite what some may say, food and exercise results in an emotional response by the body.

However, there may be something else at work here. Don't be surprised if the statements by your family are based on there own feelings about your weight loss and not your behavior. Spouses may feel insecure about their relationship if one or the other begins to lose weight and look and feel better. Parents may feel that your weight loss goals are a criticism of their raising, (we tend to eat the foods we were fed as children). Siblings or close friends may feel jealous because you are setting goals, losing weight, and looking better. Some family will unintentionally sabotage your weight loss efforts by projecting their own feelings of insecurity, guilt, or jealousy on you. I seriously doubt that losing weight and getting healthy through exercise leads to such negative behavior as being mean.
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    I find that I am mean when I am not eating enough- It's like your body crying out for food, especially for CARBS.

Since working out and eating healthy I'm actually in a good mood.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    JZbaby I swear we must be related.
    I get nasty when I'm interrupted while working out. I do get snappy when I'm hungry as well but, have been cool while working out & eating right.

Like the others it may be that you're not taking in the right amount of calories or the right calories..

Good luck to you Tracylp!!!!!
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm not so much *meaner,* but I'm more *focused.* The things that would normally distract me (kids bickering, messes, interruptions that are unproductive, etc.) are more annoying, and I find I'm speaking up more about it.

And like Cheri2304, I'm also finding that I am more into *me.* I actually think that's a GOOD thing. Anything we do to improve ourselves is only going to help those around us.

Finally, there are going to be those that are detractors--they don't like things changing, they don't want to do the work it takes to keep up, they're afraid you're going to be unhappy with they if they're not fit. Don't let it get you down, it's what they want!

jp
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    You may go through some initial crankiness if you recently started cutting calories, exercising, or changing your food choices. This is not unusual. Despite what some may say, food and exercise results in an emotional response by the body.

However, there may be something else at work here. Don't be surprised if the statements by your family are based on there own feelings about your weight loss and not your behavior. Spouses may feel insecure about their relationship if one or the other begins to lose weight and look and feel better. Parents may feel that your weight loss goals are a criticism of their raising, (we tend to eat the foods we were fed as children). Siblings or close friends may feel jealous because you are setting goals, losing weight, and looking better. Some family will unintentionally sabotage your weight loss efforts by projecting their own feelings of insecurity, guilt, or jealousy on you. I seriously doubt that losing weight and getting healthy through exercise leads to such negative behavior as being mean.
    VERY well said! Every word of that was painfully true. :ohwell:
  • Buttonnose
    Options

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Think I may have done this wrong...but I am with Mayhem...I think there could be some more issues regarding family's own feelings. That is exactly what I thought when I read your post and was going to reply but Mayhem...said it perfectly. You do what you need to do and just keep working at it. Don't let anyone discourage you...remember this is mostly for you and your future health...so you go girl. :smile: We support you.
    Button
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    JZbaby I swear we must be related.
    I get nasty when I'm interrupted while working out. I do get snappy when I'm hungry as well but, have been cool while working out & eating right.

Like the others it may be that you're not taking in the right amount of calories or the right calories..

Good luck to you Tracylp!!!!!

Haha Thats funny...maybe we're distant cousins or something LOL
  • tracylp
    tracylp Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support. I am on 1200 calories as base and I do eat back exercise calories. It makes me more motivated to work out if I can eat more. I think maybe just the bickering and fighting gets on my nerves more and it may be because I am not dropping everything for my family and I go to the gym regardless of what the kids want or dont want. Again thanks for the support.
  • crickett4
    Options
    If I am just dieting, depending on calorie intake, I am usually okay. I feel better if I am eating better, but could possibly be a little cranky. If I am working out, I am on Cloud 9....maybe it's the sense of accomplishment and follow-through or the increased oxygen supply to my body, but I am a lot happier if working out is included. Being overly tried can certainly be a factor though :bigsmile: