How, I ask you? HOW?!

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I seriously don't understand how it is physically possible for some restaurant food to be so bad for us. I'm going to TGI Fridays tonight and decided to look up the nutrition for their veggie burger since that's what I want to get. It's 1140 calories. 1140?! In a veggie burger?! When I make a veggie burger at home, it's around 300 calories. Of course TGI's burger is bigger, but I wouldn't say it's four times bigger. Where on earth do all those extra calories come from? And that's not even including the side of fries they serve with it - that's an extra 300 :grumble:

Guess I'll be only eating half of my meal and taking the other half home. I'll also get it without mayo and maybe no cheese so that should bring down the calorie count... just ugh... it doesn't even seem possible that it's that bad for you.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue. my husband hates trying to pick a restaurant anymore because i always complain that one meal will blow all my calories for the day. my guess is they cook with a lot of oil / butter etc. i mean come on, everything is better with a stick of butter...
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue. my husband hates trying to pick a restaurant anymore because i always complain that one meal will blow all my calories for the day. my guess is they cook with a lot of oil / butter etc. i mean come on, everything is better with a stick of butter...

Very good point, I didn't think about what they cook it in!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    the calories come from enormous portion sizes, ingredients, and condiments. i know of one chain that has managed to make a turkey sandwich over 700 calories with 27 grams of fat.

i second your sentiment, however. my friends look at me like i'm nuts when i don't want to go to some places, but there is almost nothing healthy on the menu. to add insult to injury, a lot of places won't even let you order the kid sized portion, which would solve the problem in some cases.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    I worked at TGIF for about 15 years. You don't want to know.

I don't think it would be so bad if you had it without the bun, and with the mayo on the side. Those buns are huge. They do cook it in oil (butter), so there's that. And not just a smidgen of oil, a tablespoon or so.

Restaurants want food to be tasty. Fridays was known for its huge portions, too.

The one you have at home may be a bit worse than you think, too.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. My favorite dish at our Boston Pizza is the Chicken Pecan salad and one full plate is a whopping 1100 calories!! WTF? It's lettuce, chicken, pecans, some grated cheese and dressing...sooo...knowing that lettuce doesn't have alot of calories, that means that 1000 or so calories is the nuts and the cheese and chicken and dressing...it sure as heck doesn't make sense to ME. But I guess that's why eating out sabotages our "diets" and when I do order that salad I ask for the dressing on the side and I ask them for a box so I package up half of it right away.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I worked at TGIF for about 15 years. You don't want to know.

I don't think it would be so bad if you had it without the bun, and with the mayo on the side. Those buns are huge. They do cook it in oil (butter), so there's that. And not just a smidgen of oil, a tablespoon or so.

Restaurants want food to be tasty. Fridays was known for its huge portions, too.

The one you have at home may be a bit worse than you think, too.

I agree, skip the bun... bread has a lot of calories
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you!
    I love the market fresh turkey sandwich from Arbys... LOVE IT.
    But it has over 750 calories! and thats without mayo!
    I dont understand fast food/restaraunts.
    thats why i pretty much just cut them out completely.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get disgusted- check out the sodium levels at Fridays- particularly the items they refer to as healthy, or apps meant for 1 person.

It's scary.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I had a wtf moment last night.. sonic reeses blast... large- 1700 calories... I was thinking maybe 1000 which woulda put me 2-300 over which i could have easily burned... lesson learned! but it was good and that's the first time i've went over in the 30 days i've been here so i'm not too worried about it, it was a family treat, I enjoyed every bite
  • michelleparas
    Options
    I have been reading all these posts and could not agree more! I got all excited at a Ruby Tuesday's because they listed lots of the calorie counts and I was able to put together a decent meal for about 900 calories or so. However..not an entree! I had a side of their roasted spaghetti squash, an appetizer size crab cake and a skinny margarita. At least I felt like one of the group at my table. Weight loss sucks!
  • tea_addicted_
    Options
    i have no idea! i got a strawberry salad from Zio's Italian Kitchen. 1200 calories. 1200 CALORIES. IN A SALAD. HOW?!?!?!?!
  • tea_addicted_
    Options
    AND 2500 in a whole rack of ribs from Chili's!!
  • ajrjaneway
    ajrjaneway Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult to eat out. I pretty much always plan on eating only half and taking the rest home. I was astonished to find out how much sodium is in the items at Noodles and Company. Even a small portion can put me over the day's allowance! I can echo other folks -- dressing on the side, and just eat half of it or get the small size if you can. Oh well, if this were easy, everyone would be thin, right? :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    thinking that one meal is going to ruin your diet is like thinking that you have to junk your car after you get a flat tire.
  • kima1144
    kima1144 Posts: 28
    Options
    CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW I CAN PUT UP MY OWN MESSAGE BOARD IM TRYING TO MEET NEW PEOPLE IN MY TOWN TO WORK OUT WITH BUT KNOW HOW TO REPLY TO MESSAGE NOT MAKE ONE THKS
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    In the bar I used to work in, we deep fried our veggie burgers. That made them more unhealthy than the grilled meat options.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that's for the whole meal, but I could be wrong, I didn't look at the site. Anyhow, it's probably full of oil...major calories and at least 300 for the roll...
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The big chains like that are the worst. Not great quality food, cooked in loads of butter, etc. Most of those places DO have a 600 and under option and such. You CAN always ask for nothing to be cooked in butter or oil. I always skip buns, bacon, cheese, etc.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I agree with the crazy calorie counts but what gets me even more is the sodium! Really how do they make a salad have over 1000mg of sodium?! It's freaking lettuce. I'm starting to think the only seasoning restaurants know about is salt.
  • jbobb15
    jbobb15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes I recently had a (very delicious) grilled chicken sandwich from Red Robin, at a cost of over 900 calories!!! There is a reason it was so delicious. Also stopped at an IHOP lately and was pleased to see the calorie count for everything listed right under the item description. Made it so much easier to make a better choice. Wish everywhere would do that.