Sweet potato...to eat or not to eat

Options
The skins. That's right. I ate the skin of my potato for the first time today and then started freaking out because MFP has made me start to really realize the calories. I always log my potatoe as having the skin on, but tonight is first time I ate it. Is it okay to eat potato skins or did I just consume a lot of extra calories?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The skins. That's right. I ate the skin of my potato for the first time today and then started freaking out because MFP has made me start to really realize the calories. I always log my potatoe as having the skin on, but tonight is first time I ate it. Is it okay to eat potato skins or did I just consume a lot of extra calories?

Skins are good for you! Packed with vitamins and fiber. Always eat the skins!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eat the skins. Lots of nutrients and antioxidants in the skin. Enjoy them!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you logged it, why wouldn't you eat it? You have accounted for the calories and the skins have lots of benefits.
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    While most of the nutrients are located in actual potato, don't shy away from eating the skin because it holds important nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, iron, and potassium. : )
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Anyone has any easy simple recipes for sweet potatoes
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't eat potato skins of any kind.

There is toxicity in potato skins and even though they say eaten in large amounts, no one knows the implications of eating small or moderate amounts over time.
  • Joysign8
    Joysign8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's right, eat the skin, and eat sweet potatoes over the white. Way better for you!!!! You can also slice them very thin and make sweet potato chips on the grill, if you want them with a little sweetness you can sprinkle a tiny bit of brown sugar on them while their on the grill. They are oh so good!!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I microwave them whole (like 6 mins with fork punctures), and then top with butter, greek yogurt, and a little drizzle of honey. It's heavenly.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks gotta try that one. They are really good for you.
  • dlsfarris
    dlsfarris Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato is a lot better than white potato but with that said if you do eat a potato from a body point of view.... Your body doesn;t jkniow how to process the potato without the skin and so it stores it but when you eat the skin with it your body says aha I know what i am suppose to do with it. So eat the skin its good for you and has the most nutrition. :)
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options

My fave is also just cooked in the microwave, but you can also peel, dice, and roast in the oven with a touch of olive oil and pumpkin pie spice. Or peel, dice, steam, and mash with a little yogurt or milk and a touch of maple syrup. You can bake them (peeled and quartered) with chicken, onions, and seasonings. Peel and julienne then (cut into thin strips), toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little grated Parmesan and bake for sweet potato fries. I once peeled some, diced them and put them in heavy duty foil with a little butter and brown sugar than sealed it up and threw it on the grill. It was so good!

Can you tell we love sweet potatoes (my kids call the orange potatoes)?
  • rosecando
    rosecando Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Only eat the skins if they are organic- spuds are sprayed up to 6 times when grown( one of the worst crops for spray, strawberries are 2nd) and a fair whack of its stored near the skin.
    Thats the advice from Don Colbert MDalso my partner who's been a cropp farmer.
    PS hi from New Zealand
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato is a lot better than white potato but with that said if you do eat a potato from a body point of view.... Your body doesn;t jkniow how to process the potato without the skin and so it stores it but when you eat the skin with it your body says aha I know what i am suppose to do with it. So eat the skin its good for you and has the most nutrition. :)

What?????????
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

What? Your body doesn't know what to do with a potato without the skin? Does it know what to do with a banana without the peel? Show me some scientific evidence on that one.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with a sweet potato is to make baked sweet potato fries: cut up potato into sticks. Put on cookie sheet and spray with a bit of olive oil (I have an olive oil sprayer). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne or anything else that sounds good. Bake at 475 for 30 minutes turning once.

Crispy and delicious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Huh? So what happens if you eat it without the skin? Does it pass through whole. Wouldn't that be negative calorie food!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    They can give you ****loads of gas too I hear, but I do eat them on new potatoes, but on a sweet potato? blech
    I don't eat potato skins of any kind.

There is toxicity in potato skins and even though they say eaten in large amounts, no one knows the implications of eating small or moderate amounts over time.