Former Hottie

Options
Hey All!

My name is Alissa and today is my first day on MFP. I have been using WW online since March 2012, but I have gotten good results. I want to lose about 80lbs in all but losing 55 would get in me in the healthy range. Previously I was thin and fit and enjoyed that. I have been overweight for about 9 years. I am married with 3 children. I gained weight when my husband went through a series of layoffs from 2001-2003 and the financial burden was too much. I had always exercised to deal with stress, but with 2 kids, exercise was more stressful than helpful. And then I had a third baby. And then we moved to Mississippi. And we were poor. Fast forward 6 years and my husband has been gainfully employed since 2004 and we moved to South Florida 2 years ago. Now that the financial stress is gone, the children aren't babies, we live someplace we like and I can afford to spend some money on myself, like for Pilates classes or gym memberships, I want to quit carrying around this weight. Before my weight was almost like an outward display for all see how unhappy I was, but now that I'm happy, I don't want to look so miserable in my own skin. My true personality is upbeat, confident and outgoing, but with the weight, all of that seems more like a mask I wear to cover up misery, which doesn't actually exist anymore. I just want to be me, look like me and feel like me and right now only one of those is true- I am me.

Replies

• KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey Feel free to add me :)

Mark.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey! Been in your shoes.:smile: Add me if you want.
    Missy
  • Lupuschamp
    Lupuschamp Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, would love to follow your journey coming back from all that weight-wise. Sent you an add :)
  • WTBSE
    WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am on a similar journey. I gained weight when i had PND 11 years ago...then put on more weight when i quit smoking 2 years ago.
    Now i want my body to show how much happier i am :)
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    you can add me if you like
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I I would like to lose another 50 lbs.
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Feel free tp add me, also doing Weight Watchers.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Making the first step to a change is the hardest part.. you got this :)
  • HealthierHappierBrenda
    Options
    I've got 40lbs to go and would love to have more friends to give and receive support and motivation :D
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Alissa!!!

I think you are definitely in the right mindset to be very successful here!!

We have similar stories, mine is just without the kids and husbands layoffs! =)

I am going to send you a friend request and feel free to read me profile and see if i am someone you would like to share your journey with!

BTW - i have family in Tampa, which my husband and i visit a lot, and we are looking to move to Florida!!! :wink:

~Denise
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    I have pretty much always been a little overweight, but I really packed it on between 2004 and 2009 during a bad time with a useless ex I almost married, losing loved ones, and getting laid off from my job. I have been see-sawing back and forth between 170 and 190 since then (I get up to 190, tell myself I have to do something about it, and then fall off the wagon after 20 pounds).

Now I am married to some really awesome guy, things financially are going well, I am happy, my job is still a little rocky, but I have made it through once, so if it happens again I can make it through again.

This time I really need to make this change stick. That is why I am doing things that I can live with, and taking it slow, because I want to change, but I have to make new habits, not just drop a bunch of weight in 2 months and then go back to being my inner donut-loving fat kid again. Since February I have lost about 12 pounds. (possibly a little more, I am not going to be able to do a proper weigh-in for a couple of weeks, but today and yesterday my pants have been falling off more than usual!)

I am glad to hear that things are looking up for you as well. As my friend who pestered me into doing Zumba with her tells me, "You got this". (Even when "getting it" looks more like someone threw a salmon on the floor than actual dancing - haha!)
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi Alissa, you sound a lot like me! I hope you'll let me add you as a friend :)