Pennies, love em or leave em?

Options
I hate pennies, if I have a pocket full of change I usually kick the pennies around. I dont keep them in my change Jar. You could spend 10 years finding pennies on the ground and probably come up with a dollar. They should be taken out of circulation.

Replies

• azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Canada is taking them out of circulation. They have already stopped making them.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    my kids get them.
    They think they're quarters.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    They're a pain, but i'm too poor to be tossing ANY money out for nothing. If I get change I'll keep it in order to deposit a larger amount of coins later
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    my kids get them.

lol, til they try to buy something.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I like pennies, I have a thing about having exact change for something LOL.

Cashier: that will be $8.37
    Me: here ya go! (hands cashier a 5, 3 singles, a quarter, a dime, and 2 pennies :smile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't like them either but as long as sales tax are odd amounts, they will have to stay. They would have to increase all states sales taxes to 10% and round up everything to an even dollar....and I have a feeling that may happen in my lifetime.
  • MissShancey
    Options
    they are taking them out of circulation...:ohwell:
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    HATE pennies, they need to be abolished!

Watch this super entertaining and informative video! I love this guy, he's so smart :)

http://youtu.be/y5UT04p5f7U

And this video on Canada's decision to get rid of the penny, also very informative:

http://youtu.be/nU4E6SSy5Yg
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Australia got rid of 1c and 2c pieces many years ago (so many I can't even remember!) and we all seem to have got on with life just fine. Now it is the 5c pieces that are annoying and seem of little use.

It always seems odd to me that the US is very advanced in so many areas, but continues with these old fashioned things like pennies and pounds/ounces - catch up guys!!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Australia got rid of 1c and 2c pieces many years ago (so many I can't even remember!) and we all seem to have got on with life just fine. Now it is the 5c pieces that are annoying and seem of little use.

It always seems odd to me that the US is very advanced in so many areas, but continues with these old fashioned things like pennies and pounds/ounces - catch up guys!!

Hey, you leave pounds and ounces out of this! :mad:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    my kids get them.

lol, til they try to buy something.

They're three and five. We know who does the buying.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like pennies as well. I'll usually pick them up, throw them in a jar then when I get enough I'll wrap them up and take them to the bank.
  • Pebble321
    Options

Hey, you leave pounds and ounces out of this! :mad:
    but you have to admit they're old fashioned.... and they clearly don't serve you that well, as nutrients are apparently labelled in mg/g in the US.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    um, at first glance at the title, I thought it said "penises, love em or leave em"

SMH
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    um, at first glance at the title, I thought it said "penises, love em or leave em"

SMH

LOL. Me too!
  • kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options

New Zealand ditched the 5c a few years back. Our smallest is now 10c. Although Aussies $1 coin is larger than their $2 so they don't follow logic anyways...
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Nooo i love pennies. I love saving change! When I was a kid I kept a jar of just pennies, nickels, and dimes and saved up enough to buy a $120 ukulele!
  • Pebble321
    Options

New Zealand ditched the 5c a few years back. Our smallest is now 10c. Although Aussies $1 coin is larger than their $2 so they don't follow logic anyways...

Oh, that's what we should do too, 5c are annoying!
    And you're quite right about the $1 and $2 coins - seems like they designed the $1 before they thought they might want a $2 - pretty silly. But at least we're all metric!
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

SMH
    I hate to admit it but so did I. I didn't even make it to the 'love em or leave em' part lol.
  • CarlaSol90
    CarlaSol90 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh, leave 'em. I rather enjoyed this video explaining why we'd be better off without them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77C47XYm_3c