High protein meal examples for vegetarians

Options
Hi guys!

I'm a vegetarian (no, I don't think I am better than you). And I struggle with increasing my protein intake, while reducing my carb intake. Normally I don't care about carb/fat/protein ratio, but I've been reading through a lot of this forum, and it seems to be a big thing that is working with a lot of you.

I would be interested in limiting my carb intake, but I don't think I am ready to go too extreme yet.

For those of you that are vegetarian, and doing the low carb thing, could you give me examples of what your daily food intake looks like? What's your carb/fat/protein ratio? What are some of your favourite recipes?

Thank you!

Replies

• txylxr
    txylxr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to be a vegetarian, havent been for about a year and am considering getting back into it. If you're interested in using protein powder check out humapro, only 5 calories and 25 gs of protein per scoop. most powders are at least 100 cals! I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail, that way I can get all my protein in a shake or two each day since it is harder when you don't eat meat. Also, a lot of fake meat products have protein added, for example I'll have some whole wheat toast and a morning star "sausage" pattie, 14 gs of protein in just 170 calories. If you like chili, check out chili man brand vegetarian chili, lots of protein and I top it with kraft fat free cheddar which has more protein than any other cheese I've tried. My ratio is 35% carbs, 25% fat, and 40% protein
    Feel free to add me and check out my food diary for more veg ideas!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm not low carb, but I do try to eat a lot of protein. Tofu is awesome. I also like Boca burgers, Boca crumbles, etc. Low fat cheese is good too.

Here's one of my favorite tofu recipes - http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tofu-asparagus-red-pepper-stir-fry-with-quinoa-10000000665176/

You can use any veggies you want and reduce the quinoa for lower carbs. But quinoa is super healthy!

These are good too, and you could cut out the brown rice to lower the carbs http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=183604
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in fat-free cottage cheese into my salads and pasta. It bumps up the protein, keeps me full for longer, and also makes sure that I'm getting calcium. There are some carbs in it though, obviously.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Taking some protein powder daily is an easy way to increase protein intake. You should also include a good protein source in each meal. Good vegetarian sources include seitan, tempeh, tofu, yoghurt, eggs, other dairy, and veggie meat replacements. Have you ever tried out Quorn products (they make burgers, "chicken," etc)? I like to eat those often--they are made from fungus instead of soy and taste pretty good. Other veggies can have a decent amount of protein, considering the # calories.

Anyhow, this reminded me of a previous post asking about how to reach over 100 g of protein per day on a veg diet, with NO powder. I'll copy and paste my response here:

EXAMPLE 1
    Breakfast:
    - 2 large eggs: 14 g
    - 1 slice Ezekial sprouted bread: 4 g

Snack 1:
    - 200 g 2% greek yoghurt: 20 g (I don't recommend subbing this for non-greek, flavored yoghurt--- not much protein in those)

Lunch:
    -1/4 block tofu (not the general recommended serving size of 1/5 block): 15 g
    -2 c raw spinach: 2 g protein
    -1 c cauliflower: 2 g protein

Snack 2:
    - 1 1/2 c 2% milk: 12 g

Dinner:
    -1/2 package or 113 g tempeh: 20 g
    -1 c cooked quinoa: 9 g
    -5 spears asparagus: 3 g protein

Total: 101 g protein (around 1200 calories total)

EXAMPLE 2
    Breakfast:
    - 2 slices Ezekial sprouted bread: 8 g
    - 3 tbsp peanut butter: 15 g

Snack 1:
    - 1 1/2 c 2% milk: 12 g

Lunch:
    - 1/2 c soybeans: 9 g
    - 2 c romaine: 2 g
    - whole wheat wrap: 8 g

Snack 2:
    - 10 raw almonds: 7 g

Dinner:
    -1/2 c seitan: 32 g
    -1 c cooked whole wheat spaghetti: 9 g
    1 c broccoli: 2 g

Total: 104 (around 1450 calories total)
  • rosybella9
    rosybella9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tempeh is fantastic if you want something with a substantial chew. My fiance uses tempeh to substitute for red meat and tofu for chicken in most of his recipes. So yum!
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as for recipes: I would recommend that you try cooking tempeh, if you don't already. I almost prefer it over the other soy product, tofu-- more protein, more flavor, easier digestion. The trick is to steam (10-15 min) or boil (5 min) it for a little while before other preparation (stir-friy, etc), after slicing into even pieces. After steaming, I like to baste them in my favorite BBQ sauce, broil for a few minutes on each side, and serve on a wrap with lettuce & spinach and other veggies.
  • robot_monerz
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help!

I'll have to try Tempeh as I haven't before. I'm not opposed to all soy products, but just try to limit them obviously!

And I'll look into low cal protein shakes (I've been trying to avoid them so far). The 5 calorie one sounds pretty awesome! I just find it hard giving up so many calories for not so yummy protein shakes, but the more I get into this weight loss thing, I'm realizing the importance of having the right balance.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    grew up with my bestfriend being vegan for awhile then turned vegetarian cause she struggled with the protein amount. She swears by protein bars, and quinoa is gold.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump
    (I've got the same problem)