how many carbs, fat, sat fat and sugar should i be eating?

MFP has had them worked out for me and i'd just like to know what you changed them to for weight loss?

At the moment:

Fat: 51g
Sat Fat: 17g
Carbs: 208g
Sugar: 30g

Have trouble with sugar. Always goes over :explode:

Replies

• haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    bump
  • haylz247
    anyone?
  • Maudy16
    Maudy16 Posts: 36
    Im also unsure on this so can not help either being new to this game. I would love to have some advice on this also.

Thanks for posting x
  • suej20
    suej20 Posts: 21 Member
    Mine as set by MFP are:

Carbs 179
    Fat 43
    Protein 49
    Sugar 21
    Sat fat 13

And I'm always over on sugar but as it's usually from fruit and veg I don't worry too much!
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    MFP has had them worked out for me and i'd just like to know what you changed them to for weight loss?

At the moment:

Fat: 51g
    Sat Fat: 17g
    Carbs: 208g
    Sugar: 30g

Have trouble with sugar. Always goes over :explode:

How much protein does it show? Carbs appear high.

It seems if you eat any fruit, sugar will go over. I'm not sure what you eat because your diary is closed.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member

Why do you want to change them ? If MFP says this is what you should aim for then why not just go with that.
  • Sugar and protein is what I get too much of... And carbs are too low - if I follow MFP. But the way I see it; sugar from fruit/berries is not bad (and I never eat more than 2-3 portions of them). And it is better to eat more protein than carbs when wanting to loose weight (so I am a bit confused) - but I do not think to much about it - as long as my calories stays under ;) What worries me more is that I don`t seem to get enough vitamines and such... C-vitamines always goes over though :P
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    It would be easier for us to judge if you gave us the percentages, and not just the total number of grams. :)

That said, the MFP default is 55% carbohydrates, 30% fat, and 15% protein. These numbers are based on US government guidelines. However, you might want to change that up a bit depending on your goals. For example, if you find that you have trouble feeling full on a calorie deficit, you would want to decrease carbs and increase protein. If you want to build muscle, you would also want to do that. A lot of people on here follow a 40-30-30 distribution of calories.

FWIW, I stick to the MFP default and just try to view the protein as a minimum and the carbohydrates as a maximum. Also FWIW, a professor once did a study on himself to see if he could lose weight at a calorie deficit if all of his calories came from the junk food (the famous "Twinkie diet"). The answer is that he did, and a lot of his measures of health improved, but that you really shouldn't do that for a whole bunch of reasons, primarily that you don't get adequate vitamins and minerals that way.

Edit: Oh, and ignore MFP for sugar and fiber, and don't worry about going over for protein for the aforementioned reasons. Also be aware that you will have more accurate information for some nutrients than for others simply because different countries have different nutrition labeling requirements.
  • whiskeycharged
    And it is better to eat more protein than carbs when wanting to loose weight

That is true.

I think MFP is very accurate with calorie counting in regards to their net goal representing the goal in which you chose: lose 1 lb a week or lose 2 lbs a week. Since I log everything, including exercise, I can see how much weight I have lost before getting on the scale. My last 2 weeks were spot on.

However, I did adjust my macros because I train with weights 5 days a week. To build and maintain my muscle in a cut, I eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of my body weight.
  • whiskeycharged
    That said, the MFP default is 55% carbohydrates, 30% fat, and 15% protein. These numbers are based on US government guidelines. However, you might want to change that up a bit depending on your goals. For example, if you find that you have trouble feeling full on a calorie deficit, you would want to decrease carbs and increase protein. If you want to build muscle, you would also want to do that. A lot of people on here follow a 40-30-30 distribution of calories.

YEAH BUDDY

Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    I change the macros because I do not eat a lot of carbs naturally - just not a bread person, so I tend to go a little higher on protein and fat. It just works best for me.
  • haylz247
    protein is 53g. i get that plus more.
    i do tend to eat a lot of carbs. rarely go over.
  • haylz247

Why do you want to change them ? If MFP says this is what you should aim for then why not just go with that.

because i am interested in what others get.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Mine is on the MFP standard as they set for me, though I use my 1200 cals a day as a base, I try not to go over 60 carbs a day, mine is set on 141, but being on Dukan diet, thats way too high. Protein is too low (MFP setting: 45), I average around 70 - 90g of protein a day. 14g of fibre (MFP setting: 14) and 20g of fat (MFP setting: 40).
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Mine is set to a 60/20/20. I am a runner, martial artist, and cubicle worker. Rarely do I lift free weights, instead I prefer to perform calisthenic (pushups, situps, dips, etc.).