NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    and people wonder why i avoid sugar.

why?

Yeah why? Care to share?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think we can all accept the conventional wisdom that sugar is empty calories that causes tooth decay, correct? So sugar can lead to obesity and tooth decay. Tooth decay is linked to heart disease and diabetes. So call me crazy but why eat something that provides no nutritional value, that in a round about way is linked to obesity, heart disease and diabetes--you know, all the diseases that are increasing to "epidemic" proportions right along with our sugar consumption?

I have no idea at what level sugar starts to negatively impact your health so I think it's better to err on the side of caution and I try and keep my sugar under MPFs recommended levels--it's surprisingly easy to do even though a couple months ago my sugars were well over 100g on occasion. Not to mention that sugar makes me hungry -- even the sugar in fruit -- which leads me to overeat, exactly what I need to prevent in order to lose weight.

I don't know why everyone gets all up in arms because someone else makes an effort to reduce their sugar intake.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    I think we can all accept the conventional wisdom that sugar is empty calories that causes tooth decay, correct? So sugar can lead to obesity and tooth decay. Tooth decay is linked to heart disease and diabetes. So call me crazy but why eat something that provides no nutritional value, that in a round about way is linked to obesity, heart disease and diabetes--you know, all the diseases that are increasing to "epidemic" proportions right along with our sugar consumption?

I have no idea at what level sugar starts to negatively impact your health so I think it's better to err on the side of caution and I try and keep my sugar under MPFs recommended levels--it's surprisingly easy to do even though a couple months ago my sugars were well over 100g on occasion. Not to mention that sugar makes me hungry -- even the sugar in fruit -- which leads me to overeat, exactly what I need to prevent in order to lose weight.

I don't know why everyone gets all up in arms because someone else makes an effort to reduce their sugar intake.

i agree. i post things like this so people can better understand what is going into their body. Things like this help me avoid sugar and other crappy foods, and I believe we all know why caraiselite, and anyone wanting to get healthy avoids it. some people just want to be d!cks.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Shut the front door! Jeez Louise. That's rather sobering, isn't it?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    why?

I'll give you my reason - My body runs better on my fat stores as my primary source of fuel. It's a bit like the difference between running off some tinder in the fire and a big log. I don't feel compelled to tend the fire as often :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Not to mention type 2 diabetes.....
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    Oh my god kinda understood the ice cream etc but the starbucks drink is insane!!!! Glad I never go there lol
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

So it's ok to eat sugar if you brush you're teeth then?

The biggest risk factor for type 2 diabetes is obesity. Since sugar alone doesn't make you obese why the need to cut it out?

FWIW I don't waste cals on sugary drinks either. Mainly because I prefer to chew my cals. But I can't see how in moderation these "empty cals" (I assume you say this because of lack of micronutrients?) are an issue for healthy non insulin resistant people.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

So it's ok to eat sugar if you brush you're teeth then? <snip>
    Let me google that for you...

"Sugar and Tooth Decay

Sugar, saliva, and bacteria lead to a formidable combination that may lead to tooth decay. After eating sugar, particularly sucrose, and even within minutes of brushing your teeth, sticky glycoproteins (combination of carbohydrate and protein molecule) adhere to the teeth to start the formation of plaque. At the same time millions of bacteria known as Streptococcus mutans also adhere to the glycoprotein. Although, many oral bacteria also adhere, only the S. mutans is able to cause cavities.

In the next stage, the bacteria use the fructose in a metabolism process of glycolysis to get energy. The end product of glycolysis under anaerobic conditions is lactic acid. The lactic acid creates extra acidity to decrease the pH to the extent of dissolving the calcium phosphate in the tooth enamel leading to the start of a cavity.

Preventative measures include frequent brushing and flossing to prevent plaque build up. A diet rich in calcium and fluoride in the water lead to stronger tooth enamel. A diet of more complex carbon hydrates that are low in sugar and no sucrose snacks between meals is also a good preventative measure."
    The biggest risk factor for type 2 diabetes is obesity. Since sugar alone doesn't make you obese why the need to cut it out?

FWIW I don't waste cals on sugary drinks either. Mainly because I prefer to chew my cals. But I can't see how in moderation these "empty cals" (I assume you say this because of lack of micronutrients?) are an issue for healthy non insulin resistant people.
    And I believe the rest of my post, the part you didn't quote, already answers this...

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    weeeee, hoooooo.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    518LuYqGXJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • Dress4Dolly
    Options
    This is a marvelous post!! A real eye opener.....I'm going to see if I can copy the picture to my facebook page for friends to see.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    518LuYqGXJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

:laugh: :heart:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    But are they measuring added sugar or total sugar? Milk has a ton of sugar in it (yay, lactose!), but I wouldn't want to cut out dairy.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

DRY FRUITS
    1 Apricots, dried 4 to 6 halves 4 t sugar
    2 Prunes, dried 3 to 4 medium 4 t sugar
    3 Dates, dried 3 to 4 pitted 4 1/2 t sugar
    4 Figs, dried 1 1/2 to 2 small 4 t sugar
    5 Raisins 1/2 Cup 4 t sugar

Can i confirm that you refer to the amount of FRUCTOSE in these fruits instead of refined sugar???
    am just worrid someone may read this and think that sugars from fruit are automatically and always as bad as those added to drinks or foods
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

DRY FRUITS
    1 Apricots, dried 4 to 6 halves 4 t sugar
    2 Prunes, dried 3 to 4 medium 4 t sugar
    3 Dates, dried 3 to 4 pitted 4 1/2 t sugar
    4 Figs, dried 1 1/2 to 2 small 4 t sugar
    5 Raisins 1/2 Cup 4 t sugar

Can i confirm that you refer to the amount of FRUCTOSE in these fruits instead of refined sugar???
    am just worrid someone may read this and think that sugars from fruit are automatically and always as bad as those added to drinks or foods
    Your body can't tell the difference, which is why people on sugar-restricted diets are encourage to limit fruit consumption. That said, fruit is highly nutritious, making it much better for you than similarly yummy things.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    thanks for this.
    i have given up added/ processed sugar for 2 weeks - mostly to see if i can but also as my chocolate habit was getting out of control, as were my weekend binges

it's quite refreshing to go into the supermarket and only go in the meat and veges isle and have no desire for any other isle and to find the fruit and vege market a much more convenient place to shop!

and for me it's been great only 3-4 days cravings and peppermint tea is my friend.
    so i just wanted to say thanks for this as it reminds me why i am doing this - because I (yes me) want to be in control of how much sugar i eat not the food and bevarage industry - they have enough power already!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options

I do believe I see your POINT. :laugh: