No squat rack at my gym

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at a smith machine in almost twenty years but isn't there a way to move the built in bar out of the way and put a regular barbell in there and do squats almost like a normal person?

Not on any Smith machine I've ever seen, personally.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Please don't blantently reply to these questions with, go to a new gym

It is not always an option. I live in a small town, we are fortunate to have what we do here. The nearest other gym is a 35 min drive, and I'm not even sure what they have. Then next neareast gym would be 45 min away. Who really wants to drive 35 min one way 3x a week do lift weights.

Don't tell me to buy stuff for my house, I have a very small old house...I'm pretty sure if I droped 200 pounds it would go through the floor, if I could even find somewhere to put them. And I don't have money to go buy all the stuff anyway.

The guy posts a thread saying that he wants to do "proper squats" (ie: barbell back squats). He didn't ask for other kinds of squat variations or leg exercises that could emulate squats. He didn't say he has an old house or no money or no other available gyms. He just said he wants to do proper squats. Therefore the correct and "blatent" (sic) reply is, find a new gym or buy a power rack. There's no other way to do what he wants to do, safely. If you can't handle the answers, don't ask the questions. Or at least provide some background information around what you're asking so people can provide more informed answers. Simple.

Thank you sir, for saving me the typing. Because ^^^^THIS^^^^^^
  • DavPul
    Options
    I haven't looked at a smith machine in almost twenty years but isn't there a way to move the built in bar out of the way and put a regular barbell in there and do squats almost like a normal person?

Nope. I think you're speaking of a power rack. Which would be awesome for this, but it's not at his gym either.
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    Please don't blantently reply to these questions with, go to a new gym

It is not always an option. I live in a small town, we are fortunate to have what we do here. The nearest other gym is a 35 min drive, and I'm not even sure what they have. Then next neareast gym would be 45 min away. Who really wants to drive 35 min one way 3x a week do lift weights.

Don't tell me to buy stuff for my house, I have a very small old house...I'm pretty sure if I droped 200 pounds it would go through the floor, if I could even find somewhere to put them. And I don't have money to go buy all the stuff anyway.

The guy posts a thread saying that he wants to do "proper squats" (ie: barbell back squats). He didn't ask for other kinds of squat variations or leg exercises that could emulate squats. He didn't say he has an old house or no money or no other available gyms. He just said he wants to do proper squats. Therefore the correct and "blatent" (sic) reply is, find a new gym or buy a power rack. There's no other way to do what he wants to do, safely. If you can't handle the answers, don't ask the questions. Or at least provide some background information around what you're asking so people can provide more informed answers. Simple.

This might be news to you, but intelligent people who post here are looking for answers other than "duh - throw money at the problem." I also posted a more detailed description of my situation later for guys like you who are only here to state the obvious (and trolling) response. What value did your "go to a different gym" comment add? None. If I could go to a different gym, I wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. I'm sorry you needed to have it spelled out for you to get aproper and useful answer from you.
  • mmychal
    Options
    So I just started Strength Training about two weeks ago and I go to the gym three times a week doing my nine exercises at 3 sets of 12 reps.

Plz tell me you're not doing this every time you go?!

Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. Nine different exercises. Three sets of 12 on each exercise. Is that a problem?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So I just started Strength Training about two weeks ago and I go to the gym three times a week doing my nine exercises at 3 sets of 12 reps.

Plz tell me you're not doing this every time you go?!

Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. Nine different exercises. Three sets of 12 on each exercise. Is that a problem?

You'll come to find out most people don't do anything outside of a 5X5 format that consists of squats, dead lifts, over head press and bench press.

Which is fine if your goal is to have strength that isn't functional and just for show.. but since I want strength in real life, I don't follow that format.

If what you are doing works for you, then by all means keep doing it.
  • mmychal
    Options
    You'll come to find out most people don't do anything outside of a 5X5 format that consists of squats, dead lifts, over head press and bench press.

Which is fine if your goal is to have strength that isn't functional and just for show.. but since I want strength in real life, I don't follow that format.

I just started doing this two weeks ago. I am, admittedly, new to the whole concept of weightlifting. I don't want "show." I want to assist in my fat burning. I was told that lifting weights helps. Beyond that, people who lift weights often assume you know the details about lifting weights. In other words, weightlifters aren't particularly kind to beginners. they're rally awesome at telling you what you should NOT be doing once they see you doing it, however. They rarely tell you what you SHOULD be doing.
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options
    I just started doing this two weeks ago. I am, admittedly, new to the whole concept of weightlifting. I don't want "show." I want to assist in my fat burning. I was told that lifting weights helps. Beyond that, people who lift weights often assume you know the details about lifting weights. In other words, weightlifters aren't particularly kind to beginners. they're rally awesome at telling you what you should NOT be doing once they see you doing it, however. They rarely tell you what you SHOULD be doing.

You should probably get to know the details of weightlifting before you begin anyway right? You may just maximize your results when you know what you're doing. I only ask about your workout format because, and correct me if I'm wrong... 27 sets during your workout? That is crazy! If fat loss is your goal, then yes, lifting will help. But HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is your best friend. Get to your target heart rate for fat burn and stay there.. hard to do that lifting the way you are right now.
  • mmychal
    Options

You should probably get to know the details of weightlifting before you begin anyway right? You may just maximize your results when you know what you're doing. I only ask about your workout format because, and correct me if I'm wrong... 27 sets during your workout? That is crazy! If fat loss is your goal, then yes, lifting will help. But HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is your best friend. Get to your target heart rate for fat burn and stay there.. hard to do that lifting the way you are right now.

Why is it crazy? You're assuming that I know what you mean when you say "HIIT" and spelling out the acronym does nothing to help explain it or explain why it's the proper thing to do for fat burn. Also - are you a professional trainer? I was hoping the forums would be helpful but it seems that my best bet is to use google to understand all of this jargon. then, of course, there's the problem of multiple websites telling you what to do and all of them conflicting with each other ...
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options
    Just tryin to help man.. Seems like you're not willing to be very receptive to it.. Regardless if you think it's bad.. Use Google. That's what it's there for. Do some reading. Like I said, you shouldn't even be touching the weights if you don't know what you are doing. Don't be so arrogant. Good luck with the fat loss anyhow..
  • Prefessa
    Prefessa Posts: 90
    Options
    Two Options.....

Either Prefatigue your legs with leg extentions, leg curls, and Lunges, then do smith machine squats slow and controlled with lighter weights so you don't blow out your knees....

Or

You need to do squats with dumbels in a way that adds instability and recruits more muscle with less overall weight like standing on a Bosu Ball.

I want my Y to get more free wts and a power rack...but the fitness coordinator won't allow it......She thinks that once they put in stuff like that...the cast from "Jersey Shore" will want to become members...Juice Heads, Gorrillas and Guido's...Oh My! LOL!
  • DavPul
    Options

This might be news to you, but intelligent people who post here are looking for answers other than "duh - throw money at the problem." I also posted a more detailed description of my situation later for guys like you who are only here to state the obvious (and trolling) response. What value did your "go to a different gym" comment add? None. If I could go to a different gym, I wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. I'm sorry you needed to have it spelled out for you to get aproper and useful answer from you.

Why is it crazy? You're assuming that I know what you mean when you say "HIIT" and spelling out the acronym does nothing to help explain it or explain why it's the proper thing to do for fat burn. Also - are you a professional trainer? I was hoping the forums would be helpful but it seems that my best bet is to use google to understand all of this jargon. then, of course, there's the problem of multiple websites telling you what to do and all of them conflicting with each other ...

Wow. Just Wow.

I'm going to offer a different suggestion. Perhaps you should post your questions on a forum where people can read your mind, because when "intelligent people" post here, they usually are looking for advice for the actual question they asked. Like DopeItUp said, you didn't put any of that additional information in your original post, and his answer and other came before you elaborated. You said you wanted to squat, we told you that it can't happen where you are now.

And then when people that have been doing this question a routine you say you just started and aren't familiar with yourself, you jump down their throats for not explaining every possible concept in detail and then ask if they guy is a trainer. If you only want advice from trainers, then post that, or better yet, hire one. If you want to spit at the advice given and say you should just Google it, feel free. There actually needs to be a lot more or that done around here anyway.

I don't understand why you feel it's cool to be rude to people that are actually trying to help you. Some of these posters have years of experience doing exactly what you're trying, and will type till their fingers go numb trying to give you and others personalized advice. If you can't accept that, find a place where people will tell you exact what you want to hear. Whatever that is.
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options
    THIS!! ^^^^
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I stopped on page 1 so forgive any repitition.

I haven't looked at what they are, but I have seen Bulgarian Split Squats suggested to people with Smith only. Another thing would be to learn to power clean and then power clean the weight up and do front squats and hope you can 1rm power clean enough to be a challenge. Not quite the same as doing back squats, but pretty good.
  • chadsit54
    chadsit54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Free weight squats are the best excercise for your legs and your entire body. An exercise close to it is dumbbell deadlifts. I would suggest doing them with your feet just inside shoulder-width, butt-out with chest-out technique. 4 sets of 10 - 15 reps
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Wow. Just Wow.

I'm going to offer a different suggestion. Perhaps you should post your questions on a forum where people can read your mind, because when "intelligent people" post here, they usually are looking for advice for the actual question they asked. Like DopeItUp said, you didn't put any of that additional information in your original post, and his answer and other came before you elaborated. You said you wanted to squat, we told you that it can't happen where you are now.

And then when people that have been doing this question a routine you say you just started and aren't familiar with yourself, you jump down their throats for not explaining every possible concept in detail and then ask if they guy is a trainer. If you only want advice from trainers, then post that, or better yet, hire one. If you want to spit at the advice given and say you should just Google it, feel free. There actually needs to be a lot more or that done around here anyway.

I don't understand why you feel it's cool to be rude to people that are actually trying to help you. Some of these posters have years of experience doing exactly what you're trying, and will type to their fingers go numb trying to give you and others personalized advice. If you can't accept that, find a place where people will tell you exact what you want to hear. Whatever that is.

Thank you. Apparently answering people directly and clearly is now considered "trolling". Who would have thought?

To the OP, despite your oddly rude and condescending responses I will try one more time since you're obviously very new. On the subject of workout programs in general, you specifically mention that there are lots of them and that they conflict with each other often. The simple answer to this is that there IS no perfect routine. Everyone has their own ideas and most of them are effective. Some more or less than others and the debate about this will go on until the end of time.

Let me break it down just a bit for some examples. People on these forums commonly will ask "What's the best cardio to burn fat?" (about 50 times a day in fact). The question is fair but the answer is not as easy as it sounds. There is no best form of cardio. You can walk, run, bike, skip, hula-hoop, swim, jump rope or use a treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer, adaptive motion trainer, stair stepper, bike (stationary), rowing machine... the list goes on and on. What makes them effective is finding the one that you ENJOY so that you will actually DO the exercise and CONTINUE doing it. An elliptical might be 5% more effective than a treadmill but you can make up that difference with higher intensity and a willingness to continually use it. If the elliptical collects dust after 6 months because you don't use it (because you hate it), then it's not really effective, is it?

The same thing applies for weight lifting. There are BILLIONS of programs, books, videos, sites and blogs dedicated to this. You saw someone post a link that had 35 variations of squats in this very thread. 35 variations of the same damn move! Never mind the programs themselves that structure different amounts of weights, reps, sets, days of the week and progression methods, utilizing any of the hundreds of types of exercises there are out there. It can be a bit daunting. But as above with the cardio workouts, you just need to find what you like and what works for YOU. Some guys (lots of them, unfortunately) go to the gym and do 32 sets of bicep curls every day and then go home. They don't care about their chicken legs or anything else, they just want big arms. Some power lifters will squat 800lbs and laugh at the idea of doing anything else. It's all in what you want to do. Hell a lot of the really dedicated folks will switch up programs and try new things every few months just for variety.

Having said all of that, you seem to want to get into weight lifting which is a good thing. Weight lifting not only burns calories like cardio does, but it helps maintain lean mass as you lose fat. It also increases strength, balance, bone density and improves physical appearance (just as some examples). It's pretty much a win/win proposition. So where do you start? My suggestion? Pick a well-known beginner program. Starting Strength, Wendler's 5/3/1, New Rules Of Lifting and Stronglifts 5x5 are just a few examples. Yes, you will probably have to throw money at some books and/or google these things. Get used to it, I spend wayyyyyy more time and money on getting fit than I ever spent sitting on my couch.

As for myself, I started by using Starting Strength (3rd edition) which is an excellent book by Mark Rippetoe who is one of the most famous trainers there is. The book is useful because even if you don't follow his program, it is hundreds of pages of VERY detailed information regarding most useful weight lifting techniques. There is something like 100 pages on the squat alone. He has videos on youtube detailing these things as well. It's a good place to start. Learn the moves, practice them ad infinitum and then decide what you like, what you don't like and progress from there. Maybe you like power lifting stuff, maybe you like olympic lifts. Maybe you'll enjoy crossfit. Maybe you'll move onto more of a bodybuilding isolation routine. Who knows. They're all good, it just depends on what your goals are. Regardless, they're all infinitely better than sitting around on your couch.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Join a gym that has a power rack or squat rack or even a monolift.

Not particularly useful advice ...

actually yeah, it was the best advice.

If it doesn't have a rack, it's not a gym. If you want to make good progress w/ strength training, you need to be squatting.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    loads of good info in DopeItUp's last post.

Join a real gym.
    Get on starting strength.
    Get awesome.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Dumbell squats or diamond bar squats-- does your gym have a diamond bar-- work of caution-- form is EVERYTHING when you get into heavy dumbell squats-- at least for me-- something about the location at your side makes it more tempting to relax the back-- I did and blew my back out for a month-- so I am sticking to the rack as I slowly work me way back.

One suggestion I have for doing dumbbell squats and not letting your shoulders relax/fall forward is to hold the dumbbells up high. Either by the sides of your shoulders or in front of your chest. By having to use your arms and shoulders to support the dumbbells it reduces the chances of relaxing since that would likely result in dropping the dumbbells on your feet (which probably hurts a little bit). Plus then you don't have the annoyance of rubbing your legs with the dumbbells since they are out of the way.

This video demonstrates how I do dumbbell squats, I've found it pretty effective. It's gets tiring fast holding those dumbbells up though, I must warn you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FTyqTsrFU8 It's more of a front squat this way (back is more straight up-and-down).

I've also done them like this video, with dumbells partially resting on the shoulders. It's similar but less tiring because your shoulders are taking some of the load. However, I found it very painful as the dumbbells dig into the tops of your shoulders once they start getting heavy, and I was having heavy bruising. Worth a shot if you don't like the first vid though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeqytTtq4&feature=related
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

really? because people are here telling you how you should be doing barbell squats properly (with a squat rack) but you dont like the main answer it boils down to which is you need a squat rack.

just because you dont particularly like the answer doesnt mean one hasnt been given to you.
    :wink: