UK Programme on fasting

Options

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I saw the programme and rather like the idea. However, I am diabetic so not sure how I would cope with my sugar levels on the 2 fasting days. Any comments from other diabetics would be most welcome.

I think I remember that the presenter specifically said that this way of eating was not suitable for some people - including diabetics & women who were pregnant. If you want to try it I strongly recommend that you get medical advice before you do. While fasting has been around since prehistory, this is an experimental diet. I'd let them try it out on others first if I were in your shoes.
  • littlemissnibbler
    littlemissnibbler Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I watched the programme and found it really interesting. He did a 2 day fast and 5 day non fast.

is similar to the "Milk Diet" advocated by Genesis for breast cancer prevention on the "fast days" you have 2 pints of semi skimmed milk 1 salty low sal drink 2 pints of other low calories drinks 1 portion of fruit 4 portions of vegetable. you can swap 1/3 pint of milk for a 200g diet yog or 100g cottage cheese. on the none milk days you just eat normally. You can make the vegetables into soups etc.

It is also similar to JUDD
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The other thing he did say is that it may not work for everyone and that more research is needed. I'd love to know if it would work for me as the idea of significantly reducing the risk of cancer and heart disease along side getting healthier is really interesting.

I wonder what difference exercise makes to the need to fast...

I do IF but in a 16/8 pattern. Meaning I fast for 16 hours (overnight is easiest) and then fit my calories in the 8 hour window. It's best to workout in the fasted state as you get the most benefits from it and then you fuel your body when you break your fast. If you're not sure about it then try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. There's so many different methods. I've done 16/8 for about a month now and my trainer's just changed it up where on a Saturday I cheat and eat around 3500 cals and then on the Sunday I fast completely. We'll see how that goes!
  • Bus2012
    Bus2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So many opinions, so many choices I guess like everything it is about what is right for you! And being patient so you can work out what that is (something I'm not good at).

I actually spoke to a trainer about IF (16/8) a couple of months ago and he swears by it, then i spoke to my trainer and he's not so keen. The other thing I'm unclear on is exercise whilst fasting as the program didn't really discuss it (although it did show him hill walking). Again Trainer advocate said training pre food is best but I know I won't train as well if I haven't eaten and if I don't eat after it's a very dicey and long train journey home from the gym!

Nothing worth having is ever easy or simple is it?!

Will be good to hear about peoples experiences it's certainly very interesting.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So many opinions, so many choices I guess like everything it is about what is right for you! And being patient so you can work out what that is (something I'm not good at).

I actually spoke to a trainer about IF (16/8) a couple of months ago and he swears by it, then i spoke to my trainer and he's not so keen. The other thing I'm unclear on is exercise whilst fasting as the program didn't really discuss it (although it did show him hill walking). Again Trainer advocate said training pre food is best but I know I won't train as well if I haven't eaten and if I don't eat after it's a very dicey and long train journey home from the gym!

Nothing worth having is ever easy or simple is it?!

Will be good to hear about peoples experiences it's certainly very interesting.

I think steady state walking would be fine but should save resistance training for feed days.
  • Elizadolots
    Options
    What was the name of this programme please?

Here's the link for the iPlayer Eliza;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

Thanks a lot. :bigsmile:
  • essemmgee369
    Options
    What was the name of this programme please?

Here's the link for the iPlayer Eliza;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

Thanks a lot. :bigsmile:

:) Outside of the UK it is also available on http://www.tunnelbear.com/ Apparently it is over 500 MB so follow the instructions on Tunnelbear to tweet them for a free extra 1 GB.
  • ficklefiend
    Options
    I'd like to try this but I think I will make sure the eating days are my exercise days. If I don't eat quite a lot on roller derby days I find I just can't perform. Everything is slow and hard going.

Fortunately I already do exercise day/off day with my week, more or less, so I think I might try and put two or three 500 cal days in on those rest days. I just can't stick to daily calorie restriction! I like variety.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm trying 24hr fast once a week, but I already find it difficult to reach my calorie goal... Guess I'll just see how it goes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I presume baseline energy needs is BMR so as an example, on fast day 1400 x 25% = 350 calorie meal
    Baseline would be maintenance - ie what you were eating before going onto a diet.

So probably more like 1400 * 1.2 (sedentary) * 25% = 420 cals
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I presume baseline energy needs is BMR so as an example, on fast day 1400 x 25% = 350 calorie meal
    Baseline would be maintenance - ie what you were eating before going onto a diet.

So probably more like 1400 * 1.2 (sedentary) * 25% = 420 cals
    Thanks
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm trying 24hr fast once a week, but I already find it difficult to reach my calorie goal... Guess I'll just see how it goes.

I've been trying it and honestly the fast days haven't been too bad but my mood has been fluctuating which I'm not sure if thats linked :/
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I saw this programme and thought it was really interesting- I have been curious about fasting for ages, ever since my sister lost 3 stone in 2 months by fasting and exercising. She went from a UK size 14/16 to a UK size 8 and then got pregnant first try- so obviously it can't be too harmful, indeed quite beneficial.
  • kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am trying to start this this week - first fast day tomorrow. Good luck to you.
  • kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why not start with those health benefits why wouldn't you start as soon as possible
  • ficklefiend
    Options
    Well to add a little feedback- I tried a fast yesterday. I decided to combine a little from all that we have learned and ate around 400 calories between 1pm and 5pm.

And I felt like death.

I drank black tea/peppermint tea and water but I could feel a headache creeping up on me all day. I did a few chores round the house and watched the last of the olympics, but still I felt snappy, grumpy and tired by the evening. My guess is that because I have not cut my sugar down before attempting this, I was feeling serious sugar withdrawal.

I don't think I could bring myself to try that again in a hurry. Now I am going to eat some breakfast and lift some weights!
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling those types of negative effects you could increase your calories to maybe 600 or 800. Also if you are looking at the 5:2 Horizons method then there is no reason not to break it up into two meals and go from there (say breakfast and dinner). I know you said you are not eager to try it again, but I can say from personal experience that fasting at any level is a mind game and that it takes time to learn how to make it easier on you body.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    I'm trying 24hr fast once a week, but I already find it difficult to reach my calorie goal... Guess I'll just see how it goes.[/quote}

I was thinking of doing this also. Be interested to know how you get on. :smile: