emotional craves

Options
Hi eveyone,

I am writing on here in hopes to help sooth my crave to eat wrong things.I just got back from a family members house that is every triggering to make me want to binge. I instantly left there and wanted something sweet. I guess to fill in the lack of sweetness that wont happen between this family member and myself. The whole way home I just kept having an inner fight with myself. "Stop and dunkin and get a boston cream or two", "no dont" . Back and fourth in my mind about this. I passed dunkin and thought should I stop somewhere else? NO! Be proud you didnt stop I told myself. Trying to remember that this feeling is only there because of the lack of I feel. That the instant sweetness will only last that. That my health and weight loss is to important to allow a binge to happen. Thanks for listening all. I dont have any sweets at home, so I think I will be okay. Have you guys ever had this type of struggle, inner conflict?

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I use to be a big emotional eater. Now, when something upsets me I do one of two things. I go work out or I go take a nice long bath or shower. Both of these things keep me from eating when I'm not hungry.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I've had that same conversation with myself many times!! The more you resist, the easier it gets! I find alternatives, like staying usy or exercise help! One thing I've done is writing blogs on MFP, putting stuff down in writinghas helped me learn a lot about why I was binge eating and it has helped me control it! Good luck!!
  • Aprilk2010
    Options
    I have found out that for me it's best when I have those emotional craves to do something else to take my mind off of it, such as go for a walk or jog or even a ride on my bike, just to get out of the house and into the neighborhood, however I avoid the main streets where all the food stuff is.
  • sarakarolina18
    sarakarolina18 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have this conversation with me everyday!! And most time, the doughnut wins. But NO MORE! Now when I am emotionally hungry I brush my teeth. Nothing tastes good after you brush your teeth!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's a constant struggle with me. I've been an emotional eater for years so it's really hard to break the habit. I've had a rough couple of weeks emotionally and I slipped back into old habits. I've put on 4lbs so I'm annoyed with myself. I'm trying to get back on track but it's difficult. Well done you for not stopping for donuts and fighting it! I think this is gonna be a lifelong struggle with me but I just have to remember how bad I felt when the scale went up and after eating the bad foods. We can do it!
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've had that same conversation with myself many times!! The more you resist, the easier it gets! I find alternatives, like staying usy or exercise help! One thing I've done is writing blogs on MFP, putting stuff down in writinghas helped me learn a lot about why I was binge eating and it has helped me control it! Good luck!!

Yes, this! When I get an emotional craving from stress, depression, whatever, I try to get on here and just poke around or write down my thoughts. I've found it helpful to write an email to myself and save it in my Notes too. Journaling, basically.

I also read a little article that suggested attacking a sugar craving with its opposite helps. And it does. When I get a craving for a sweet I'll eat a pickle instead. Or kimchee, sauerkraut, seaweed, olives, etc. I try not to attack the highly caloric tortilla chips. :)

Hang in there! It's great that you posted!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    How great that you didn't cave into the craving. I have been reading the book Full Filled by Renee Stephens who talks about emotional eating and how to change your reaction to stessful situations and I have found it very helpful.

You are so much better than a Boston Cream donut...
  • littlebitsilly
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. As long as you remove yourself from the reason you triggered your emotional craving, that is a great start. It is always a struggle to surround ourselves with the right kind of support. Why we beat ourselves up like we do, I'll never understand. (and they say men can't understand women) LOL! Seriously though. I take a natural ( I call it the anti sugar pill) , that absoulutely changed my life. I was constantly craving sweets and caving in way to many times. I read about gymnea syvelstre that will stop your sweet cravings. Believe me it works. I tried the shock your system approach and one day while drinking a coke and just buying three candy bars because I couldn't decide which one I wanted, I decided to run in and buy this pill in a health food store. I had heard if you open the capsule and put it on your tongue and then try something sweet, it will taste terrible. In my mind I could not believe anything could make chocolate and coke taste bad. So I bought and opened right there in the car.. I had all ready drank some of the coke and ate a bite of the three musketeers bar. So opened the capsule dumped on my tongue and shock , it was very strong bitter tasting. The first thing I did was wash with coke. Big mistake. Thank God I had water all so in the car. I washed it down and when I was done. I'm like this is awful. I got as much of the taste out of my mouth as possible and then did the deed. I tried to eat my candy. LOL!! What a awful taste. It taste like putting lard in my mouth. Of course in my mind I waited and kept the candy because I had just dumped the stuff straight on my tongue. Didn't have the nerve to taste again that day. Started taking the capsule by mouth and swallowing whole next day. Tried candy bar and still tasted nasty. It was amazing. Sweets no longer rule my world. I could not drink coke, eat candy of any kind , cakes, donuts, etc. This stuff is a life saver. I buy the Now brand at the health store or over the internet. There are many brands, but I know this one works. It also is good for dieabetis. If you have a problem with craving sweets this will take that craving away. If you want a jumpstart or a mental check because it's to good to be true. Try dumping a capsule on you tongue then eatting something sweet. Or make a liquid spray bottle from a few capsules and spray on tongue when the craving hits you. Trust me you will not want anything sweet. After a while you'll realize your not craving sweets at all. Wow, this is a lot of info but I just thought I would share because as I was skepticall I'm sure you are to. Let me know if you try it and tell me your reaction. Thanks