Running outside vs. treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• maureenec
    maureenec Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My good run this morning was spoiled by nasty weather, and I had to finish it on the treadmill. Yuck. I find running outside so much more pleasant.
  • twinklytwink
    twinklytwink Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow what a hot topic hehe!

But i think I have my answer - everyone who said that the treadmill helps to propel you, I'd never thought about it like that before but it's true! So thanks for clearing that up, that's definitely the difference.

I can understand people finding the treadmill boring, and I would agree when using a gym treadmill. However since I've got one at home I put in front of the tv and it really helps to keep my mind off the running. Where as outside I'm always worried i'm gonna meet other people....
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, hate running on the treadmill, find it awkward...love running outside, its harder because of the various inclines and really your getting a better workout...as its more work :wink:

Ditto! its the varying inclines. And running on a treadmill to me is the worst
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    A treadmill can't take into account the road conditions: hills, ruts, uneven surfaces. The treadmill is an even surface with a controlled speed so it's going to be easier to run on that vs. outside.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started this running thing by doing it outside, but since i got a treadmill i've found I can run so much longer on that than i ever did outside. I tried running outside again last night and really struggled. I can't put my finger on what the difference is though. Does anyone else find this?

Ditto for me....
    Whilst I can run 5k on a treadmill, Cant do more than 3k on road. I think the reasons could be:
    1. Cushioning of the treadmill... (it reduces the impact)
    2. Inclines/declines of the road, uneven surface.
    3. Wind (LOL)
    4. Or may be because treadmill is pushing me a bit.

So, I have started running on a little incline on treadmill and am experimenting if that could build more endurance into me.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Always easier on a treadmill and a h3ll of a lot easier on your body. I mix it up with some inside and some outside running. I love fresh air and having weirdos to gawk at outside. The treadmill means I can go farther and not end up crippled for 3 days following my run.

My city kind of sucks and does not enforce or take care of sidewalks and such. So I end up on slippery crap or uneven/loose ground which sucks *kitten* so I end up inside plenty.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know. In the beginning, when I first started running, I couldn't run outside to save my life, but I could run forever on the treadmill. Then I don't know what happened, but something clicked, and now I find running on the treadmill the most boring thing ever, and I find myself ending my workout quicker than I normally would; or I have to do sprint intervals to keep me occupied. On the other hand, I can run outside, and don't want to stop. It's weird. I wish I knew the answer. I'd be interested if someone has one.

At least you're not alone!

This is me as well. I started C25K on the treadmill. Once that was done I decided to take classes to train for a 5K. Ever since I started running outside, I cannot stay on the treadmill very long.
    I'm used to running with a group, so the treadmill seems so lonely. ;-) If I had to do my long runs on the treadmill, it would never happen....
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill for speed workouts. You can dial in specific paces for the workout.

The argument that "it propels you therefore it's easier is bogus". Do some research and you'll see.

Run at a 2% incline and it'll be as hard as outside.

With that said, I try to do most of my running outside unless it's -20 degrees or +90 degrees.
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I prefer jogging on the treadmill because I can zone out. The treadmill will keep the pace for me. It is easier than jogging out doors. The best way to increase the difficulty of the mill is to increase the incline.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    For me the weather is the biggest factor in running outside. Yesterday I did 2 miles of run/walk. It was about 91F and 60+ humidity and I felt like I was going to die at the end of it. But whenever I do the same thing on the treadmill it feels easy.

I'm still going to continue running outside, though, because you never hear of marathons being held indoors.
  • determined136
    Options
    I HATE THE TREADMILL....It is so boring. I feel like a rat on a wheel. I love running outside. I enjoying people watching, looking at beautiful yards, families having fun, other people exerising and the smells outside. Flowers, BBQ's all that stuff. I enjoy all different weather. The only time I don't run outside is if there is ice. My biggest fear is falling and getting hurt and then not being able to run!

Good luck with whatever method you choose...I think the most important thing is that you are moving!:bigsmile:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I started this running thing by doing it outside, but since i got a treadmill i've found I can run so much longer on that than i ever did outside. I tried running outside again last night and really struggled. I can't put my finger on what the difference is though. Does anyone else find this?

I do a little of both. The terrain outside is more unpredictable and, therefore, can be more difficult. Also, unless you have a HRM or a stop watch with you all the time, it is more difficult to keep your pace (which is why you get tired faster). A treadmill is great because I can program it to change grade and speed at specific intervals. I can just get on there an do my thing without really thinking about it.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I prefer jogging on the treadmill because I can zone out. The treadmill will keep the pace for me. It is easier than jogging out doors. The best way to increase the difficulty of the mill is to increase the incline.

I agree, I have issues with my knees when I run outside. I also feel that the treadmill keeps me consistant and its easier to gauge when I need to move my speed up a notch.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    From what I understand is if you run on the treadmill at 0 incline, the treadmill is doing all the work for you. If you put it at a 1 incline, that will be more like you are running outside. Hope this helps! Good luck with your running!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    From what I understand is if you run on the treadmill at 0 incline, the treadmill is doing all the work for you. If you put it at a 1 incline, that will be more like you are running outside. Hope this helps! Good luck with your running!

Yep! I usually keep it at 1-1.5%, sometimes higher during the warmup.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Since I've only started trying running, I've mostly been on treadmills. Plus, I use barefoot shoes and adapted my stride - at 3.5 mph I feel I should almost be jogging to keep my stride short (so i don't heel strike).

But .... while normal gym based treadmills are powered, I have a manual one at home that I am finding hard as HECK. No motor, it uses you & your weight + gravity to keep moving. If I walk & hang on it works, I'm almost afraid to try running on the thing because if you aren't hanging on, you'll feel like you'll fly off the back.

But it does the job as I wanted my VGs and no more sitting :)

Once I'm up to running, I do want to go outside :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill for speed workouts. You can dial in specific paces for the workout.

The argument that "it propels you therefore it's easier is bogus". Do some research and you'll see.

Run at a 2% incline and it'll be as hard as outside.

With that said, I try to do most of my running outside unless it's -20 degrees or +90 degrees.

I hope that the higher temp is quoted in Fahrenheit! :laugh: :laugh:
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    well i just did my first race a 4miler.. first time running outside as well had lots of rolling hills.. wasnt to bad felt good the whole time. 86degrees like 60 humidity so felt like 92 ish.. i did some 5ks on treadmill at the gym that simulated outside so yea inclines etc.. the inclines on treadmill were much more diff seems that its much steeper feeling than outside also wonder if because of it being so short like running stairs.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Outside is best, fresh air, changing scenery and feel good factor.
    Running on a teadmill in the gym is when it is wet. I hate running in the rain I can't see where I am going as I wear specs. The gym just never has enough air conditioning. The treadmills face a big mirror!!!!! The people either side is always running faster and does not look bright red. Advantage I can set pace and time/distance so a way of checking progress