I need Help...

Options
I HATE asking for help, but I think this is the place to ask. I have been here for over a year, although I don't sign in every day. I have tried everything it seems. I have tried low calories 1200, and then up'd it based on stalling out. I up'd it to 1500, which is closer to my BMR. I have tried low carb, which worked, but then I gained it all back. I tried whole foods with no processed crap, which is actually what worked the best, but it is very hard to maintain with a busy schedule. I am a full time working mom of 2 boys, and the time I exercise is when they go to bed at night. I try to get on my eliptical, even if it is for 30 minutes, but I give it an honest effort. As of last summer, I had lost 16 lbs, and now I am back up 8 and have only lost 8 lbs in over a year total. I am 5'4 and weigh 172. I know there is no magic answer, but if you have any advice, please let me know. I do not have a public diary, but I am just not strong enough at this point for people to critizize my eating. If you have any tips that worked for you, please send them my direction. Should I go to the gym on my lunch break? Should I eat some kind of power food that will give me energy to actually work out at night when the boys go to bed? Help!

Replies

• Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions for you. First, I would track everyday. It helps you keep accountable to yourself if you really know and understand what you are putting in your body. I would try getting up earlier and working out in the morning instead of at night. When you work out at night before bed, it can make it harder to fall asleep and not have a good sleep. Also, I know that it is very hard to open your diary, but I have found that it makes me think twice before going for that extra snack that I am not really hungry for. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water. Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open and I have been on the site everyday for about a month. I would be happy to give you more advice as I learn it myself. Good luck!
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! Don't feel strange asking for help...We all need to, at one point or another, and I find that only strong individuals ask for help...Others tend to ignore it.

If you could squeeze in a couple workouts during lunch, that would be GREAT!! I understand how hectic life gets...Or even if you could climb the stairs in your office building...it is something extra that you aren't doing now...

When I plateau, I've learned that in order for me to reach my next goal, I need to change things up...Whether if it is different meals, or different types of exercise...It's important that you make time for you!!

Feel free to add me as a friend, and I'd be more than happy to cheer you on!! You can totally do this!!!
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!! Great advice!!
    I have a few suggestions for you. First, I would track everyday. It helps you keep accountable to yourself if you really know and understand what you are putting in your body. I would try getting up earlier and working out in the morning instead of at night. When you work out at night before bed, it can make it harder to fall asleep and not have a good sleep. Also, I know that it is very hard to open your diary, but I have found that it makes me think twice before going for that extra snack that I am not really hungry for. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water. Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open and I have been on the site everyday for about a month. I would be happy to give you more advice as I learn it myself. Good luck!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think you need to pick one from what worked for you and stick to it. You said low carb worked, and then you gained it back. I'm a low carber and am ultra lean. Cannot even imagine eat high carbs as in my previous life, lol. It gets me bloated and not feeling well, with low energy. The answer to what ever you do is consistency and make it as your life style, not a diet
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hi. My advice is that you have to stay consistent. I am a full-time working mom of 2. I work from home so I workout at lunch almost every day. I have just started weight trainging but I am also training for half marathon.

This is how I lost 25 lbs. I am 5'3 and started at 159, I am now at 135ish. I setup MFP around my BMR, which was mostly between 1300 and 1400 calories, I ate all my exercise calories back. I have a heart rate montor so I have a good idea how much I burned. I never used the MFP or machine estimates since they were WAY too high.

I also upped my macros on MFP to meet 40% carbs, 30 % for protein and fat. I planned my food ahead most days and met my macros. It took a lot of getting used to for me but it WORKED!

I am stuck now at a plateau that I am trying to figure out how to change things up...hence the weight training.

Feel free to friend me. I don't think I would be where I am now without my awesome MFP friends. They have picked me up when I didn't want to go anymore :)
  • achillesheel93
    Options
    My mum was in your position when we (me and my two brothers) were younger. She used to take us out for the day to places we could ALL get exercise. Like to the park and then we'd have races against her, same with the pool. She would never drive us anywhere, always opting to walk and then jog home.

It doesn't seem like much but running around after us really helped!
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You are right that I need to find the time for ME, but life is so darn busy and my boys come first, I forget that sometimes. I get up at 5:00 everyday to get ready for work and get the boys ready for the day. My husband works at 4:30 am, so I am by myself in the mornings. I try to be Super-Women, I really do!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Reading your post, all I hear are excuses. Without an open diary I can't see what you are doing and suggest other things.

There is no secret. Just a ton of willpower, determination and patience.

I realize you are busy (we all are), but you have to find the time to make changes if changes are what you want to happen. My weight loss was slow (45 pounds over a year and 1/2) because I made little changes along the way. First I cut out Soda. The fried foods. Then high calorie desserts. Then sugar (switched to Stevia). Then I added exercise. Then I increased exercise. Then making sure I was drinking plenty of water (I hated water and now I love it).

Not all the changes are going to make you happy, but once you see all your hard work pay off, you'll keep wanted to make changes.
  • b_fit4life
    b_fit4life Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree that it would be easier to help if we could see your diary. Remember, people aren't here to criticize you, we're here to help you. If you have trouble with someone nitpicking your diary, defriend them or report them. If you are able to take a long enough lunch to get ANY kind of exercise in that might be a great option for you! Up until a few weeks ago I was exercising every day at lunch (walk around town, uphill climbs, climbing the stairwells in the office, walking the halls in the office, standing push ups, whatever to get away from my desk and move my body). I've gotten away from that but I really need to get back to it.

Do you have your activity level set correctly in your profile? I had mine set at moderately active for awhile and got real with myself to change it to sedentary as I do have a desk job. That will change your calorie goals which could mean making an adjustment but it's worth it. Also, what is your weekly weight loss goal set to? That's another thing I adjusted to be more realistic. I set mine to 1 pound now. That gives me a calorie goal for each day that is a bit easier to meet so I don't feel defeated every day.

Sleep is critical! I'm also guilty of not sleeping enough most nights but it is so important for your overall health. Plus, if your body is not well rested, you won't be able to workout with the same intensity as if you had gotten enough sleep.

It really is about finding what works for you. Then the hard part is committing to it. We all have our own schedules, committments, and constraints but there's something that will work for you...go get it girl!