Need workout ideas!

Options
So, I am a nanny, so I am with the kids pretty much all day, and I am pretty busy most of the day, so I don't have time to go to the gym, or to do an hour long workout like I would like. What are some ideas of random things I can do throughout the day to make sure I am working out like I need to? Like fast but effective things.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Any chance getting in 10 - 15 minutes at a time (say during nap time)? Here's a video clip ... many more like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

Deck of cards workout:

Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.

Grab a jump rope

Any stairs?

How about a hula hoop? ... pretty decent cardio
  • callen07
    callen07 Posts: 21
    Options
    Any chance getting in 10 - 15 minutes at a time (say during nap time)? Here's a video clip ... many more like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

Deck of cards workout:

Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.

Grab a jump rope

Any stairs?

How about a hula hoop? ... pretty decent cardio

That deck of cards workout is genius!! I am totally going to have to do that one :)
  • christieh31
    christieh31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks 5 mins
    wall push ups 20 of them
    sit on bed lift you legs in air and cross them and do sit ups 20 of them to start out
    20 toe touches...that should get you started and will only take 20 mins or so
  • mumcat63
    Options
    Hi - you don't say where you are, but that's OK. How about taking the kids for a walk - that way you both get some exercise as well as outdoor time.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Simple things like push-ups and crunches can be done at any time and need very little space. And, both these can be varied to workout different sets of muscles.

Check out the 100 push up challenge.

As for crunches and/or planking. A quick Youtube search will provide more suggestions than you could work through in a life time!

As a nanay chasing little ones around all day your legs are probably getting a decent workout! But, on the chance that you might want to work these as well. Lunges and squats can be done anywhere. And, as you get used to these you can vary as well. Again, tons of suggestions on line.

The one suggestion I would make. Exercise to a goal rather than just exercising for the workout. To clarify, the 100 push ups program is great. It works you through several weeks until you can do 100 push ups in a single attempt. This gives you a goal to achieve. My experience is that I put a more serious effort into my workouts when I am working towards a goal.

However you proceed. Have fun!
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Along with the deck of cards, you can also do movie workouts. I have seen workouts for movies like Harry Potter and Tangled.

For Example"

Everytime someone says Voldemort - Do 10 Lunges
    Everytime Harry touches his scar - Do 20 jumping jacks
    Everytime a spell is cast - Do 10 crunches

Have a list of about 10-12 different exercises like the one listed. Just make sure it is something that happens frequently enough in the movie and you'll be moving for most of it. I did the Harry Potter workout and was moving for most of the movie.
  • callen07
    callen07 Posts: 21
    Options
    Along with the deck of cards, you can also do movie workouts. I have seen workouts for movies like Harry Potter and Tangled.

For Example"

Everytime someone says Voldemort - Do 10 Lunges
    Everytime Harry touches his scar - Do 20 jumping jacks
    Everytime a spell is cast - Do 10 crunches

Have a list of about 10-12 different exercises like the one listed. Just make sure it is something that happens frequently enough in the movie and you'll be moving for most of it. I did the Harry Potter workout and was moving for most of the movie.

love love love that idea! thanks!!