Sorry but have to ask!

Okay all these changes to my diet and I haven't been feeling too bad the last week but whoa since yesterday..horrible gas cramps and such. Could I be eating too many raw veggies? Not sure what to do. If this is normal and will it go away?

Sorry for the topic but I gotta know. I won't quit but maybe i need to change something?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Lots of fiber can cause gas and cramps. It takes a while for the body to get used to the extra intake.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Don't worry any changes in diet will cause issues. It most likely will go away. I'd stick with healthy eating your system should catch up.
  • Andh_19
    Andh_19 Posts: 14
    Could you make your diary public? It might help to see what you're eating.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    I only have that problem on days when there's a sharp increase in my fiber. I stopped adding the fiber additive to my smoothies and that helped.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    Heh heh, I remember that. It will get better in a few days.
  • I know if I eat too much fiber I end up with horrible and persistent gas. It may be different with you though.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Totally separate from fiber... If you have started eating "sugar free" candies that have "sugar alcohol" to sweeten, that can cause really painful gas.
  • I've had that problem! Beano helps a bit. Your body does adapt with time.
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Yup its public now...
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Totally separate from fiber... If you have started eating "sugar free" candies that have "sugar alcohol" to sweeten, that can cause really painful gas.
    ^^This^^ In fact, from your description, I'm betting it's this, not fiber. Anything "sugar free" may have the sugar alcohols, but candies are usually a higher concentration. I remember eating sugar free gummie bears once (admittedly, waaaay too many of them) and thought (HOPED!) I was going to DIE!
  • Babygirlamh143
    Babygirlamh143 Posts: 3 Member
    too much splenda and aspertame will do it everytime. I USED to drink a lot of crystal light until I figured out that's where my problems were coming from.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Try taking a probiotic supplement. Also consider adding in some kefir or kombucha as the probiotics in those foods are still alive unlike most store purchased yogurt. That should have you feeling better within an hour or two.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    If the gas is caused by extra fiber in your diet instead of "sugar free" items you can get relief from it by also increasing your water intake.
  • Andh_19
    Andh_19 Posts: 14
    I know when I was eating raw broccoli I was having stomach pains. I only figured it out when I googled 'raw vegetables stomach pain' http://www.livestrong.com/article/283354-stomach-pain-from-eating-raw-vegetables/
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Yup its public now...

You had higher fiber days so it's not fiber, and I can't see anything with sorbitol or maltitol. I don't think it's sugar substitute either since you use it regularly.

It's probably broccoli and cauliflower. Coupled with milk consumption in the same meal time may have that effect even when you have no digestion problems.
  • When it comes to veggies it is good to steam them slightly with olive oil to release the vitamin contents. Only enough to soften not enough to completely deteriorate the nutrients. Also having half a grapefruit in the morning reduces flatulence. Good Luck!
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    ^^This^^ In fact, from your description, I'm betting it's this, not fiber. Anything "sugar free" may have the sugar alcohols, but candies are usually a higher concentration. I remember eating sugar free gummie bears once (admittedly, waaaay too many of them) and thought (HOPED!) I was going to DIE!

I havent been eating any sugar free candies at all. I have a few coffee during the day (like 3 or maybe 4 cups spread throught the day with 1tsp of splenda and yesterday no crystal light at all). so I"m sure its not the sugar alcohol...I'm almost sure its the HUGE change in my diet and my body just screaming at me!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I had a lot of that the first couple of weeks as well. For me, it was tied entirely to the change in my eating - my body needed to get used to the healthier foods (and I was certainly eating more raw veggies than I used to).

It did get better though - I don't have the problem now.