need more calories without carbs

Options

Replies

• awill1122
    Options
    Eat more protein. It doesn't matter if you go over what MFP says, it's extremely low anyway. For me it recommends 68g per day but I try to eat closer to 150g. Then again my exercise regimen includes a lot of weight lifting, but it still wouldn't hurt to eat more protein to help reduce muscle loss while losing fat.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good but you eat WAYYYYYYYY too much of it, and not nearly enough vegetables. Fruit is loaded with carbs you need a better balance of the two.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Here's a usual day for me:

Breakfast 6am: peach
    snack 9am: apple
    (tictacs to nibble on)
    lunch 12pm: 2 grilled chicken patties (no bun or condiments) and a small fry
    snack 2pm: nectarine and some cherries
    dinner 5pm: grilled chckn ceasar salad, ceasar dressing, no croutons.

then i jog at night, 2miles

That's 50g of protein there if not less. Maybe 15g fats on average if that's a typical day. That's very poor if it's not restricted because of a health condition. You can increase your protein intake and you do need unsaturated fats. Nuts, olive oil etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

(tictacs to nibble on)

If it were me? I'd eat breakfast.
    I eat greek yogurt with peanut butter and chia seeds most days.

I'd eat much less fruit and MORE leafy greens and lean proteins.
  • ShelbyRoyal73
    ShelbyRoyal73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drop to one fruit. Add a crunchy veggie w/ hummus as a side instead of the fries. Add a slice of tomato & avocado to your chicken breast.
  • jshort152
    Options
    If your over 25% bf then I wouldn't worry about it slowing down your metabolism at all
  • tiaamato
    tiaamato Posts: 30
    Options
    no medical issues...just not eating alot of carbs because my friend said cutting carbs was the best way, and i tend to believe her because i've lost 20lbs in the 4 weeks that i've been doing this diet. how do i share my diary thing like u guys are saying to? I only have like 2 days of food on there cuz i just started.
  • tiaamato
    tiaamato Posts: 30
    Options
    I shared my food diary.

I definately like the idea of exchanging my morning fruit for a fuller breakfast. I dont like avacado or tomatoes. I like corn and broccoli.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The number for carbs and fat is a recommendation, not a maximum. Hitting your carbs and fat means eating that amount or only a few grams away from that amount.

If you're significantly below that amount then you should change your percentage goals to have more protein and then eat that higher amount of protein. The base protein on MFP is pretty low, ESPECIALLY if you're trying low carb. And for low carb you typically want to eat a bit more fat. Basically, for every gram of carbs you don't eat, you should be eating an additional gram of protein, or an additional half gram of fat.
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

(tictacs to nibble on)

If you take out the fries, you will remove a bunch of fat and carbs from your diet, which could then be replaced with a healthier option like peanut butter, avocado, whole grain pasta, cheese. Oatmeal or eggs (or egg whites, or a combination of both, which is what I do) with a fruit for breakast would also be a decent way to add some calories.

You are trying to create a new lifestyle here. Not just trying to get weight off, but finding a new way of living so that once you get the weight off, you can keep it off! So, I suggest you make room for some actual food in your diet :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I shared my food diary.

I definately like the idea of exchanging my morning fruit for a fuller breakfast. I dont like avacado or tomatoes. I like corn and broccoli.

Broccoli is a good choice - lots of fiber (which helps keep you full longer). Most veggies are in this category. As you log meals, MFP will help you figure things out.

Corn however, is more along the same line as potatoes = starchy carbs. I have corn OR pototoes OR bread with my meal. I'm not "low carb" .... but diets in the U.S. have become waay more carb heavy than in the past. People used to have gardens and ate waay more veggies (I think).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You dont eat enough IMO.
    Just looking at what you posted I probably eat that in 1 sitting.

This ^^^

You just need to eat more food. You are eating the right kinds of food, just add more to it.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You are not getting enough vegetables; you should be getting ~ 5 servings of vegetables a day. I hate to say this but your daily intake is sadly lacking in nutrition.

a peach is ~ 60 calories that is not enough calories for breakfast
    your lunch is even worse - again; no vegetable (fries are not a vegetable)
    one salad per day does not contain enough nutrients for you to survive

Try (this is based on a ~ 1200 calorie minimum day; no one unless they are an invalid should eat fewer than 1200 calories per the American Heart Association):

Breakfast: 350-375 calories
    AM snack: 75-120 calories
    Lunch: 350-375 calories
    PM snack: 75-120 calories
    Dinner: 325-350 calories

suggested day:

Breakfast (not sure what you like to eat...but its easy enough to adjust) - since you like fruit: Fruit protein shake (1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk or skim milk, 1/2 cup filtered water, 1/2 cup berries (any kind; blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberries, or other), 1 scoop of protein powder (should be ~120 calories), 2 tsp of raw almond butter; blend until smooth. Include slice of whole wheat toast or other whole grain (I use Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted wheat bread)

AM snack - 1/4 cup of 2% cottage cheese & 1 cup of honey dew melon (or other fruit)

Lunch - chicken stuffed tomatoes with salad (4 oz chicken breast mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons of low fat mayonnaise, tablespoon of shredded carrot, 1/4 stalk of celery, chopped; put this on a bed of 2 cups of mixed salad greens (or lettuce of choice, just don't use iceberg; it has as much nutrition as water), 1/2 cup of cucumber slices, medium tomato and 2 tablespoons of low fat dressing; also add a slice of whole grain bread

PM snack - 2 tablespoons of hummus (any flavor - I like the roasted red pepper) and 10 baby carrots

Dinner - Bocca burger with Zucchini and fruit (bocca burger (~120 calories); on a slice of whole grain bread, add a slice of low fat swiss cheese or vegetarian cheese (~40 calories); sautee 1 cup (~ one small-medium sized zucchini) in a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil (or you can use spray pam); 1/4 cup of soy nuts (lightly salted or unsalted) and 1 cup of strawberries or other fruit.

BTW - I create my breakfast, two snacks and lunch every night; it's easier to stay "on plan" that way. Another tip: I eat the same thing for dinner that I'm going to eat for lunch the next day...that way there's less meal prep.

Good Luck!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see any diary products either to be honest. You shouldn't have to nibble if you eat more. Trust me a peach for breakfast is not enough for your body!

If I have a piece of fruit for breakfast it's because I'm hitting the gym FIRST THING and I don't want food sloshing around in my stomach while I'm running, lifting, ellipticaling etc.

Then when I get home I eat an actual breakfast. Since I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks I basically have my morning snack before breakfast and most importantly before I hit the gym so I have some energy.
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have always watched my carbs but when I do get decide to drop low (and i haven't for many months) the first thing out of my diet is fruit. Fruit is very high in natural sugar and has carbs. Lower carb would be your berries. I agree with everyone (even with personal experience) that kick the fruit and put in your veggies. Spinach, Kale, broccoli, cauliflower. How about a chicken breast topped with tomato and onion wrapped in a lettuce leaf for lunch. That way you are getting some veggies in there and still avoiding your carbs. Also with cutting carbs I would ditch the french fries. Maybe replace them with baked sweet potato fries. Just some ideas.
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Corn however, is more along the same line as potatoes = starchy carbs. I have corn OR pototoes OR bread with my meal. I'm not "low carb" .... but diets in the U.S. have become waay more carb heavy than in the past. People used to have gardens and ate waay more veggies (I think).

I agree. Corn is a starchy carb and one I would avoid if I was wanting to cut my carbs. Peas are also starchy. Eventhough I don't do lower carb these days Corn, white potatoes and peas are just something that are extremely limited in my diet
  • Nicole_Altieri
    Nicole_Altieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options

(tictacs to nibble on)

You are eating a lot of sugary fruits, swap out for green veggies - cucumbers, celery, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, peas etc and add other meats other than chicken, you can have beef and pork
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    chicken, fruit (i like canned fruit for a fast, easy breakfast), almonds (you can get them in 100 calorie packs, i like the cinnamon flavored ones), avocado (high in calories but good for you)...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but taking it all in could be a little overwhelming if you're new to all of this. So here are the cliff notes.

1) Start by getting your calories in check. For people eating too little, eat more. For people eating to many, eat less. This absolutely HAS to be your first step. If you're not eating the right amount, I don't care how clean or balanced or whatever else those cals are. Too much of anything will cause problems, too little will too. For most people, total cals should be based on your BMR and/or your TDEE (depending on your goals/issues). BMR and TDEE is discussed at length on this board, so I won't get into them here. If you don't know what these are, search.

2) Once you have your cals in check, then you can start paying attention to the fats, carbs and proteins. IMO, there is no reason to worry about other nutrients unless you have a heath/dietary concern that requires you to do so. Targets for fat, carbs and protein will depend on your goals and routines. Again, this is covered at length on these boards, but a good balance 30% fats, 40% carbs, 30% protein is a reasonable starting point for someone new to this. If you want to know more, search.

3) Once you do those 2 things, you need to wait. Then wait some more. During this time you can evaluate your progress. Give it at least a month before you make any conclusions about the success or lack there of, and being tweaking things as necessary.

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Skinny animals.