New here, and in big trouble...

Options
Hi, everyone. I'm a 53-year old retired firefighter who has let himself go to hell in the food department. I'm six feet tall and went from 229 lbs. on the job, and inflated to 360 lbs. after only 21/2 years of retirement!!! My doctor has me on all kinds of medication for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, gout, anxiety, and diabetes. He had sent me to have a sonigram to check for a possible fatty liver.

Yesterday, the doctor not only found a fatty liver, but also an aortic anyeurism, which, in time, could burst and - poof! - gone in an instant! I'm trying to lose weight on my own, but it's tougher than any fire I've ever faced! The doc wantrs me to have my stomach stapled, but I have no faith in that. (My 50-year old uncle had it done and died two years later...didn't do HIM any good, did it?)

Please help me. I want to see my grandchildren someday.

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'd say try and get back into doing some of the physical fitness stuff you used to do as a firefighter,

See if your old buddies will let you join them for some training. that will give you a great kick start.

Make sure to watch your sodium and Sugar intakes on here, and try to cut out some of the high fat high calorie foods you may be eating and replace them with leaner meats and veggies.

Start small, baby steps. You didn't get this way in a day, and its not gonna come off in a day. But first of all.. get that keester moving! :)

Good luck!
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi ebazz, we're in a similar boat , I've got three hernias and been told to lose 7 + stone before they are prepared to do anything about them , I also get seasonal affective disorder which has on occasion tripped over into depression so you're not alone, I'm not sure how much help I can be except to say , I'll kick your rear if you'll kick mine ;) Good luck and heres to the journey x
  • ebazz2334
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, juice and barmum. I'm sure that I'll get through this with your help!
  • oonegative
    Options
    My Dad was a firefighter too here in Vegas.went through the same thing after he retired.Best thing you can do is this site I would say I'm pretty new to it and exercise but seeing peoples success stories really helps so just stay on top of what your doing and keep at it!!Just do it..But you don't have to have Nike's..
  • Guardian1777
    Options
    Working on making it as a career firefighter. I would go back to cardio if at all possible to shed some of the weight you want.. Stay with it sir ;)
  • jennalor
    jennalor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Did your doctor clear you for exercising? I would start with diet and get moving, it doesn't haven' to be dramatic, just going for a walk, or a swim. And incorporating healthier foods, has you doctor given you any special diet or restrictions? I would start with him and make a plan. You can totally do this!
  • kioli
    kioli Posts: 5
    Options
    This is actually my first post. Welcome, I have been on MFP for over a year, I have started and stopped several times.
    I am 5' 3' and weigh 225 and have not been under 200# in years. I know surgery is not an option for me. The friends that have had it have had some trouble not only physically but mentally as well.

Why do you eat? I am an emotional eater, I eat when I am lonely, bored, happy, sad you name it! I love a good opportunity to overeat and drink things that are comforting and delicious. Find out why you are eating and then you can build your strategy for how you are gonna win this battle. My strategy is simple, I have to move more and eat less with consistency!

The tools on this site have been my saving grace. Make sure you track all your food and exercise. I have found being able to see what my daily numbers are has helped me to see exactly where I am at at all times. Which directs me and helps me make better choices throughout the day. Sometimes my struggle is honestly hour to hour. I look forward to seeing you progress...
  • laura2501
    laura2501 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    yeyyy for u you have made the first step by looking for a place to learn about weight loss and get support from others if you have a question you just type it in and get loads of advice and help from others soo once again WELL DONE just start of small get yourself a pedometer (stepcounter) and see how many steps you do a day then the next day try a few steps more, thats how i started and i lost 4 stone and was doing 30,000 steps a day at the start i was doing 7,000
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    First off - thank you for your career of service.

Definitely use the calorie counter, BMR calculator, etc. on MFP...weight gain comes from consuming more calories than you burn. Start with 15 min of cardio a day (about a week) then 30 min a day (~ 2 weeks) 45 min a day (~1 week) until you can reach 1 hour a day.

I'm not a nutritionist or physical trainer but I find that gradual - but firm - steps make a difference in the long run. Best of luck!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step to a healthier life! You can do this...one day at a time. You'll love MFP and the friendships you'll make here. We all face our food demons in our own way, but with the encouragement of others you'll come out the winner!

Best of luck to you!!!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    You have taken a great first step by joining MFP, I know wieghtloss may seem impossible now but just take things one lb at a time. Small changes are key.
    Walking is a really good start.
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and congratulations for taking the initiative to do something on your own!

I recommended starting with the book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. Most of his patients come to him in what sounds like the same situation as yours. His plan produces amazing results in the first few weeks.

In the meantime, invite LOTS of people to be your friend here because the encouragement will go a long way.

Good Luck!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    welcome to the rest of your life! You are just 53, lots to live for. Start off slow, cut some sugar, take a 10 min walk. You can do this and you owe it to yourself to be the best version of you!!
  • trekkietaz
    Options
    Hello there My name is Charles I have been on my weight loss journey since Jan of this year I started out at 345 lbs and now I weight at 238 lbs will out surgery i consume about 1500 to 2100 calories a day and go to the gym three days a week and I feel great you can do this if you put your mind to it i did so if you feel the need for some advice send me a message and i will do my best to help you good luck to you.
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    Get out and walk. You don't have to do anything heroic to get immediate results. I was 320 lbs when I started, and just had back surgery. Walking each day, starting out at about a half-hour and working up to an hour, has been the majority of my cardio workout (I later added swimming and elliptical). I lost almost 70 lbs my first half-year on here, only to go back to the sedentary lifestyle and eating habits. Friend me if you'd like - we can support each other. It's all about accountability. You can do it!
  • HollywoodDJ
    Options
    First and foremost.....thank you for all your years of service as a firefighter. My husband is a volunteer on the local dept. here and it's amazing to see what this group of guys has done for him and what he has done for others as well.

Secondly, start walking.....Walking is about the best exercise and you will see pounds melt ...I promise. I have only been doing this since March 1st and I am down 40 lbs.

Thirdly, eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy (Un-processed meats and foods)....I am also learning to eat better. It's not easy at first but stick with it and continue surrounding yourself with the support of others on here. Feel free to add me if you like.

and whatever you do

DON'T EVER...NOT EVER....GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bennettbabe7733
    Options
    I just joined yesterday. Realized i need to start making some changes....

I'd love some 'buddies' to help with motivation and keeping me from cheating... :)

Good luck !
    Ariana
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Clear any form of exercise with your doctor first, and take it slowly - it will come off....Don't do the firefighter thing and overdo it because you only have one speed (ex-cop talking - it kills you when you want to jump in and go all out - and your body does not want to play....)
    Keep in constant touch with your doctor but stay away from the surgery - this is just as hard and less dangerous.... Good luck!
  • katiekenzie
    Options
    Are they going to repair the aneurysm? My father had the same thing and they successfully remove it and replaced the injured portion of the aorta.

I would make sure and talk to your doctor, cardiologist etc before starting ANY exercise....you don't want that to rupture....... but you could start focusing on healthier eating....just a little bit each day. Small changes. We will be here to support you! Congrats on the hardest parts....seeing the problem and asking for help.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. Don't look at the big picture as it will seem too overwhelming. Take it one day at a time, baby steps. Get lots of friends it helps to have the encouragment and motivation they give. Good luck you can do this. You took the first big step already.