why do I sabatoge myself

Options
So does anyone else do this? You are humming along following and recording everything like you are supposed to do, excerising and doing it all the right way then BAM..you go off the deep end and eat basically your pantry and fridge contents w/o batting an eye. It wasn't stress or maybe it was who knows...

I know this sounds a lot like an over eater issue .. but cant figure out why I am doing it. So any words of advice--encouragement are welcome.

:sad: :huh:

Replies

• blinkiii
    blinkiii Posts: 90
    Options
    Don't worry hun, I do the same thing. But for me, it's like if I don't start seeing results after eating healthier, I get depressed and am just like, "SCREW IT" and eat everything in my house. Then I have to start from the beginning again :/ It's quite the problem and I just can't shake it. So I understand you completely.
  • rawebe
    rawebe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Are you bored? A tip I learned is to take a piece of paper, write things that you want or need to do (i.e. clean the closet, walk the dog, paint etc.). Cut the paper up into little slips so there is one item per slip. Fold them all up and place inthe jar. Put the jar in the fridge or pantry. Everytime you go into grab food, take a slip out of the jar and do the activity. This will help keep you active and your mind off eating.
  • momma_eck
    Options
    I honestly don't know what it is... I don't think I am bored..w/ 3 kids and running constantly I am just done..maybe I am overwhelmed. That could be it..again..3 kids on 3 fields at 3 different times. We end up not eating together so then I eat w/ each one of them and when my husband gets home I finish up w/ him.

Also, stress doesn't help. I work full time and sometimes to me this is "just one more thing".

Thank you for hte support and ideas..I might try that in my pantry... just to see if it helps...or maybe a bull horn so every time I open the door to the fridge or pantry it goes off like a rocket..HMMMMM
  • Kryssaxo
    Kryssaxo Posts: 54
    Options
    Any time I have a craving to eat the house, I brush my teeth. It might sound odd but it really works.
  • giftogab
    giftogab Posts: 29
    Options
    I find myself doing this when I'm stressed, depressed or very pissed off. What I do to calm this down is I each a piece of fruit instead, if there is no fruit I chew gum, If i have no gum, then I play some Call of Duty: Black Ops. There are ways to get around this craving to eat yourself silly, you just have to find what YOUR way is. Self control, sometimes it gets pushed aside especially when there is a lot of emotion involved. just think to yourself everything is going to be alright, think about all the hard work you have done, breath, relax and it will soon pass.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Are you bored? A tip I learned is to take a piece of paper, write things that you want or need to do (i.e. clean the closet, walk the dog, paint etc.). Cut the paper up into little slips so there is one item per slip. Fold them all up and place inthe jar. Put the jar in the fridge or pantry. Everytime you go into grab food, take a slip out of the jar and do the activity. This will help keep you active and your mind off eating.

Awesome idea!!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I do this, but not with working out, just every other part of my life =)
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Thank you for hte support and ideas..I might try that in my pantry... just to see if it helps...or maybe a bull horn so every time I open the door to the fridge or pantry it goes off like a rocket..HMMMMM

I like the bull horn idea too! I told my husband to make a junk pantry and put a lock on it with a key so I just can't get in to it! LOL He didn't realize I was serious I guess.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

Great idea!
  • stephwhiting
    Options
    I think everyone does this, but females more often. I find that when i go off the deep end and eat myself silly, usually I'm right about to start my period. Sometimes if I'm on top of it, I'll eat like a CUP of cooked oatmeal and a giant glass of water cause what my body is usually craving is carbs. Instead of going straight to carbs, I'll eat all my good foods, then some worse ones, then finally end up with chocolate and ice cream. Ends up being like 1000 calories. Then, I'll think, I could've just carbed up with 300 calories of oatmeal and been WAY ahead.

Sometimes my body is craving an old fashioned PB&J. Sometimes it's better to eat something off your plan, but just eat what you're craving and get it over with.

The key for me is to have it not turn into 3 days of eating straight crap before I snap out of it, you know???
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with this too!!.. Usually when I've had a rubbish few days at work etc I think stuff it I'm gonna stuff my face but then I always feel horrible after not to mention bloated & uncomfortable!!.. What I try to do now is suck on a boiled sweet whilst thinking about how rubbish I feel after a binge & ask is it worth it?? No!!!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I do this 4 days out of every 4 weeks: 2 days when I ovulate, and 2 days when it's my TOM.

I :heart: being a woman.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What a great tip! I am sooo doing this!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done this and continue to do it here and there. I think for me personally it has to do with me not forgiving myself or realizing that I almost feel like I don't deserve to do anything like this for myself. I was shamed into believing I don't deserve to be happy and healthy. Thankfully I recognize this and am working on seeing myself in a different light.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I stood at the kitchen counter and ate chips and salsa and cheetos. I could not stop! I think it had something to do with having a busy day. I haven't figured out a solution yet, but it seems to happen when I sit down to relax for the day after everyone is in bed. But don't worry, you are not the only one!
  • wanniet
    wanniet Posts: 38 Member
    Options

This is a great idea..very creative!
  • lauralo82
    Options

I LOVE this idea! Gonna do it tonight :)
  • jharvey
    jharvey Posts: 2
    Options

what an awesome idea!!!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think everyone does this, but females more often. I find that when i go off the deep end and eat myself silly, usually I'm right about to start my period. Sometimes if I'm on top of it, I'll eat like a CUP of cooked oatmeal and a giant glass of water cause what my body is usually craving is carbs. Instead of going straight to carbs, I'll eat all my good foods, then some worse ones, then finally end up with chocolate and ice cream. Ends up being like 1000 calories. Then, I'll think, I could've just carbed up with 300 calories of oatmeal and been WAY ahead.

Sometimes my body is craving an old fashioned PB&J. Sometimes it's better to eat something off your plan, but just eat what you're craving and get it over with.

The key for me is to have it not turn into 3 days of eating straight crap before I snap out of it, you know???

I do the same thing!! i normally have a min of one bad day right before my period starts because for some reason i'm starving!! usually happens on a day we go out to dinner too...
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was watching some talk show at some point this past year where it talked about relationships with food.

How do we treat food? What role does it play in our lives? Etc.

Anyway, this did help me understand why I do what I do. I realized (especially after a visit from my mother this summer) taht in our family growing up, we would abuse food to make ourselves feel better after a bad day, to celebrate a good day, to have social time with friends or family, etc.

Thinking about what food represents in your mind might help. For me, I realized that I most use food to soothe myself when something isn't going great. If life is being an *kitten* to me, I can at least have my pizza and wings and chocolate milk and donuts.

Since I have realized this, I catch myself in the act. I will have a cruddy day or something cruddy will happen and I will find myself driving toward the grocery store. The trick is to catch yourself doing it, identify why you are doing it, and then deal with what is really going on rather than letting yourself get swallowed up by food.