Support for other women ??

Options
I don't like to admit this to myself being a woman but I think women can be competitive by nature. We always want to look our best and be the best at whatever goal we are working towards.

I am curious to hear from other women who work w/ women mainly and discuss weight loss or exercise etc. with coworkers. We have had small office competitions in the past that have fizzled out w/ individual results varying and things remained friendly for all parties involved. Recently, I started going to the gym in the morning prior to my work day so of course it came up in conversation as I am not carrying a purse and gym bag.

Everyone was okay until yesterday when I came in and this woman said "did you go to the gym today ?" to which I responded "Yes!" happily. She then went on to say "how long do you think that will last?" I have been going everyone wk day since last Fri. I could only respond w/ emotion "that's very mean...and unsupportive." That is honestly how I felt. She said “well, I know how things are when I start.” I was shocked by her comment!!! We have always been friendly. We both have diet and exercise issues which we discuss. She is older than I so am and has some slightly mobility issues. I can only imagine she is jealous b/c it would be more difficult for her but how is that my fault??! I think I am very supportive to others in my office when they ask about advice etc. I don’t get it… Just wondering if anyone else has dealt w/ this sort of issue and how is the best way to handle it ? I plan to stick to my commitment to becoming a morning gym rat (HATE that phrase but can’t think of a better one). I would think this is the first of many snarky comments once I see results. Also I really try not to brag when I am “on the wagon” so to speak. I have just mentioned I feel really good getting up earlier and working out, I think once…

Replies

• ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Brag if you want to, you're doing something for yourself and that's great! Part of being a self-confident adult woman is separating yourself from that High School BS and you do this by not giving a damn what other people think. Honestly, brush it off! You're always going to have people who try and take you down a notch..... **** 'em!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I would straight up not talk about the gym at work anymore. I worked at an all female doctors office. The women were *****y when I tried to say good morning and when I started losing weight alot of people were not supportive. And when they did notice that I lost weight, there was critism of my body and where I should be losing the weight, (REALLY?!)
    It's not worth you getting upset and having some sort of ill feelings towards someone that is bent on saying negative things. Maybe she will come around, but until then, I would just downplay it and change the subject.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I can not comment on an office environment with other women as Ihave always been in offices full of men and I am ususally the only woman.

However to you office-mates question, "How long will this last?" I would have repsonded "As long as it does, I take it one day at a time and do not think of a slight hiccup as failure." And then walked away.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    STAY FOCUSED! Don't let the naysayers drag you down, your results WILL PAY OFF for you, and that, in turn, will strengthen your resolve to be healthier for you - just because it didn't work out for someone else doesn't mean it won't work for you. I agree, life is hard enough without us turning on each other, we need to look out for each other. It's a shame your co-worker gave up, it takes time to see results. Don't be discouraged, good luck!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I understand, when I first started my co-worker (who is strangely competitive with me about everything) just rolled her eyes when she saw what I was doing. I think her comment was "yea, good luck with that". I'm losing really slow so it took a while but when the weight loss started to finally show she noticed and when she did you could tell it bothered her. She didn't say anything to me but she's been eating nothing but salads at lunch ever since, hehehe.

Keep up the good work and don't let anyone get you down. Us women folk can be ruthless at times ;-)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone else - ***K the naysayers!

Brag if you want - don't brag if you want - whatever you do, do not let those negative people bring you down or interfere in your motivation. It is jealousy pure and simple.

When I hit 65 pounds lost (from 197 at 5'2" tall) I had someone say "wow - you look amazing, but your face looks a little drawn" - screw them. My face finally looks normal and I know it. Just jealousy.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Some women live for bringing other women down. To these women I say "You know you're only allowed to be a b!tch one week a month, right? 365 days a year is a little excessive."

Seriously, this woman is hating on you because you're taking a step that she is too lazy to take. Be proud of yourself, and ignore snarky remarks other women may make. Haters gon' hate.
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Scoobydoo1180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    These stories and words of inspiration are much appreciated!!! I feel better, thanks ladies :)
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Some women live for bringing other women down. To these women I say "You know you're only allowed to be a b!tch one week a month, right? 365 days a year is a little excessive."

Seriously, this woman is hating on you because you're taking a step that she is too lazy to take. Be proud of yourself, and ignore snarky remarks other women may make. Haters gon' hate.

I :heart: you!!! (no homo) :tongue:
  • tlonie
    tlonie Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This is my new quote :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am so fortunate to work with three amazing women. Three of the four of us are always on some sort of quest to lose weight. The fourth is one of those naturally tiny women who eats like a horse. But she's very supportive of us (and hides her candy), so we let her live. We also share clothing, as we're all currently different sizes. It's pretty fun to get "new" clothes when you come into the office!
  • marlad33
    marlad33 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm sorry that you have to deal with this but unfortunately SOME women for some reason like to tear down other women. To this day this still baffles and I'm 42. In your 20's I get it (even though it shouldn't happen) but at least there is some kind excuse to be given...
    Women are strong, beautiful, awesome, etc. the list goes. Wouldn't it be a great place if we all built each other up instead of tearing down.
    Just keep your focus and let all the strong wonderful ladies on MFP be your cheerleaders when you need it.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • demningoreilly
    Options
    I work with one of the most poisonous snake of a woman that ever existed. When I started losing weight she made comments about how people that loose weight just end up putting it all and more back on. She never does anything to be healthy herself. All she eats is junk and can barely wiggle her fat *kitten* up to the copier. I so hate her!!!!!! I feel as though she is just waiting for me to gain weight so she can say she told me so. F#$king *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!