Long hours but good pay but no exercise?

Options
Led an active job (trekking guide) and love outdoors but am climbing 'the ladder' and am now in office all day - for past 5 years career is good but got seriously overweight. Are there any people in the same boat?

Replies

• Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I'm a desk jockey as well. I hate the **** out of it! Thankfully I am able to hit the gym 2 hours a day 7 days week still. Thats on top of my 40+ work hours, wife and 3 kids, and part time schooling.
  • PammyJay91
    Options
    yes! i work desk and go to school at night. It's hard for me to get motivated after a long day. I have a puppy though, and i walk him 3 times a day so that helps get me moving.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i am lucky with my job i am at the desk half the time the other half walking in the field..up and down wv hills
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    yeah i do a desk job and hate it.
    i skip the tube and get the train one stop further in so i walk 5 miles a day on a working day and have joint a gym right next to the train station so i go after work too.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day. Unfortunately, you just have to make time for exercise now.... Once you get into a routine, its not so hard to juggle it.
  • Louiyen
    Louiyen Posts: 69
    Options
    I would say during the week that you are working, you should stay a little below your caloric maintenance. and be active on weekends.
  • LeftyFTW
    Options
    I'm a desk jockey, but I find ways to break it up. My office has a small locker room that's normally empty, but any "private" (if you're self conscious) room will work. I drink a lot of water, so whenever I have to get up and use the facilities, my next stop is the locker room for 10 chair push ups (~ 45 degree angle) and 10 pistol squats each leg. Sometimes I'll do some lunges or anything else I feel up to, but always one upper, one lower. In 5 minutes I've gotten the blood flowing, done a little calisthenics, and I'm back to work until the next visit. At home I either play racquetball, or do a Z-WOW (available for free on YouTube). None of this is "easy" for out of shapers, so I do modified versions until I can do the real stuff. This combined with drinking water instead of soda, and eating healthier has made a huge impact on my waistline.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I was a cocktail waitress at a pool hall during college, I was on my feet walking around 6-8 hours a day, five days a week, with very little time to sit. I was in the best shape of my life. I now sit on my butt for eight hours a day with little exercise... and I'm huge.

=/
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day and feel free to add me if you wish.:smile: Yes your not the only one I normaly work 8 to 12 hour days 7 days a week I do alot of walking at work but it isn't enough for me to loose weight with.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I sit in front of a computer all day, but I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, it's an 11 hour day with commute. Most days I walk on my lunch hour just to get out and stretch my legs and I'm able to workout when I get home.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    I work in an office 60+ hours a week and work out virtually every day! It's tough, but you can do it!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yup. Code monkey here. I make my living with my brain, which is incredibly toned and sexy under all that skull, I'm sure. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much for the physique. Like someone else mentioned, I have been "skipping the tube". I broke a VERY strong tv addiction recently so I don't sit on my *kitten* even more after I get home. Instead, I go to the gym a couple of nights a week and lift weights. I've also decided to take the government up on its recommendation (astonishing for me to listen to a damn thing the government says health-wise) to take a walk after dinner. I'm on my feet cleaning and packing bento boxes while I'm waiting for the temperature to go down enough to go outside. Sometimes on weekends I make it out to my friends' house and swim in their pool for a couple of hours. I want to get back to tennis, but I'm afraid I need knee surgery before that happens.
  • ohalyssaface
    Options
    I am a technical support rep for a software company in Phoenix, AZ. I can't say that I don't like it, because I love my job. But I am at my desk on a computer and on the phone for anywhere between 8 to 10 hours a day. All I do is work, and then work-out lol.

I do always eat healthy while i'm at work. There is lots of fruits and veggies and hummus in our kitchen. So that also helps. I get home around 6 or 7 everyday, get changed, go straight to the gym and get home around 8 or 9...have dinner, shower and hit the hay.

I choose not to work out on the weekends so that I can get it out of the way Monday-Friday. It's not easy, but when you are trying to get fit and healthy, any time is a good time to go to the gym. Weather it's 5am, or 10pm :) I hope this helps! You can do it!!!! :):flowerforyou:
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk during the day, but I also get to walk around a lot because we have more than one building so I walk in between them frequently. I love my job and the people I work with. I make sure to take walks on my breaks and go to the gym after work or before.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i too am a desk employee. i work a full time job (with overtime on the weekends) and a part time job, a total of 70 hours a week. i still make it to kickboxing 3 days a week, and run the other 4 (even if 3 of them are only a mile in the 20 minutes of free time i have between jobs). it took a long time to work up to all that, but i'm so glad that i have gotten it all into my schedule!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well. Luckily for me we received a grant to put a small "fitness center" in one of our rooms. This has made it a lot easier to get my workouts in. I usually walk a mile on each of my 15 minute breaks, and have recently started doing full workouts on my lunch.
  • imrylander
    Options
    I work 65+ hours a week and have found myself too tired to work out. I'm exhausted from going to work at 8 am and getting off at 9 pm 6 days a week. This has got me eating at the wrong times as well. There is no time in my day to make a healthy meal. It's is also hard for me to find super healthy and filing snacks due to the fact that I am allergic to nuts and can't keep anything refrigerated at work. I sit for 8 hours and then I am up walking lifting and etc at my other job for 4 hours, this to me is the only reason in not gaining weight. However, I've not been losing either. Does anyone have good advise on how to get myself motivated and energized after a hellish day at 2 jobs.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I work from 8:30-8 six days a week...an hour away from where I live. 13 1/2 hour day=sleepy me when I get home. I try to do as much as I can but just watching what I put in my mouth is helping tremendously.
  • dancemom143
    dancemom143 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to play every sport under the sun in grade school and college. Once I started my career I have been steadily increasing my waist line. As a busy mom and career women I find it so difficult to get gym time in. I wish there was an easy answer but there just isn’t. My doctor recently suggested I try a home workout vide that I can do either before or after work. Let's see how it goes. I will be starting today.